Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Picked up a gsxr the other day for 400$. The engine runs and frame is good but that's about it :p iv never had to fix a bike as bad as this so I might have a few questions for you guys and I bet some will be pretty stupid.

Here's a few pics of the bike, sorry for darkness. Just had a ?trouble? Light set up so I could take some.

I'm in the process of removing all the plastics and stripping it down to just the frame. If I have a really rusted bolt or an extremely tight one what do you suggest I do to remove them? (Thinking of a bolt on the mirror and the thing holding front forks on+rear swingarm.)

Attachments

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
That looks more like a katana not a gsxr.

To remove rusty or stubborn hardware I prefer PB Blaster or heat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, i'll try those, thanks man...and papers say "gsx750r" :/

·
Blood,Sweat N Beers
897 Posts
dude should have Pm'd before this post, would have saved you the trouble. katana all the way.

but also, something tells me you knew it was a katana becaue you have been PM'ing me about the katans header i got for the katana you picked up.

an to boot you posted a beginners streetfighters thread obtaining info on a katana ypur getting, a couple days ago...

all it boils down to is...........

:doh:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Still not a bad looking kat. Get er naked

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well its got a nice looking frame and what i want to do with it works with it, are Katana's not good?

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Yea dude, nothing wrong with kan-tunas just ugly. My homie put one together that didn't look all that bad. And 79,s ^^ looks good as hell so it's very doable

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
436 Posts
well its got a nice looking frame and what i want to do with it works with it, are Katana's not good?
It's got Nothing to do with good or bad. It's an Old oil boiler, that kat will run on moose piss. It has to do with Suzuki being like "hey, ya know How the frame is always hidden behind plastics?" "Well in edition to the ugly headlight, let's make the ugliest frame ya ever saw in your life, and only we will know because it's under all the plastic." "That's funny, let's do it."

So in conclusion there is Nothing wrong with a kat except They are ugly. Personally I think a cool ugly bike is kinda punk rocking. So keep ur ugly kat. I'm keeping mine, I love the kats.

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
The GSXR vs Katana is sort of like the R1/R6 vs FZ1/FZ6. Slightly detuned engine and more comfortable ergos. Only thing wrong with it is that it isn't the bike the "cool kids" had but then again there are some pretty nice Katana builds on here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sweet. sounds good, and yeah, just got the plastics off earlier, it's an -ahem- "unique" frame. no updates yet. been working on my ninja trying to get it road worthy before i head back to college [tomorrow -.-]. i'm looking for some clip on bars for this bike but can't find any less than 200$ :nuts: , anyone know where i can get a set for less than my tuition?

edit: i actually decided i want it red and black, and my uncle has some red seat stuff so that's about all i know so far, update-wise

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and some 50$ clip ons are ordered, going to be going to school today so not much work will be done on the bikes for a while.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bunch more pics, why would there be oil in the radiator? head gasket leaking?

took off the handlebars, considering using them and saving the clip ons for another bike.

pulled old fake leather stuff off the seat and pulled the staples out, going to re-upholster with red stuff that's thicker.

have a round headlight i'm thinking of using.

cut the subframe down a bit, pic of the fender compared to the frame where i cut.

also shot some paint onto the cuts after i smoothed them out and made them even.

i also went over and took all the rust off the frame with a brass wire-wheel on a drill then spray painted the spots black to prevent further rust. going to pull the old headers and see if i can make some. have a new muffler too but no pics of it.
pic of the seat without foam, helper in the background.

i have the plastic seat thing cut down now and am going to work on the foam next weekend[weather permitting] when i get down there again. hard to get down sometimes because all i have is motorcycles.

edit: whats the best way to get small dents out of the tank, and whats the best way to get the seized, rusted out bolts on the header out? they are allen key heads and all but one are stripped, put wd-40 on it and pulled the one thats not stripped out but can't get the rest.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Head gasket is usually the other way around with water in oil vs oil in water.

Found oil in my coolant on the r6 couple years ago and traced it to the water pump seal. Which a a lot cheaper and easier than head gasket lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yep, being an oil cooled bike.....you would sort of expect there to be some oil in the cooler.
Probably a good idea to do a bit of research, because if you filled the bike with coolant.....well, goodbye bike.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts