Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry but I don't have any pics yet!

That said I've got a 89 zx10 that I crashed a couple weeks ago -- the front fairing was taken off, the windscreen mangled and the headlight scratched. When I got the bike, it didnt have side or bottom fairings so it looked pretty terrible with just the front fairing.

I'd love to get it a headlight that looks like this and ride without the front fairing:

and not like this:

Would a Buell headlight work? Do I need to make sure that the voltages are correct? or are most lamps designed to run from the standard voltage form a motorcycle battery? How much circuitry work do I have ahead of myself? How much am I looking at in terms of cost?

The instruments cluster is huge in the zx10 with a lot of wiring, the expansion tank as well as a cage holding it all together... is it best to cut part of this off in order to mount the new headlight? I'll get pics this weekend

Can I make this work?

Or maybe this?

What would you recommend?

Also when I accelerate hard I can hear and feel something slipping -- I don't make it to the 8000s rpms and I can feel either the transmission or the clutch starting to give. Does the zx10 from 89 have a slipper clutch?

Also, whenever the bike is cold and I'm trying to shift into first from neutral i hear and feel this intense grinding noise when I finally shift through. Is this a sign of serious transmission problems up ahead?

Sorry, this is my first bike and I don't know anyone else with a bike so I can't ask anyone besides u guys.

Thanks so much for your time!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is really the look I want... some good inspiration on this forum %)

How is this done?
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?p=812188&highlight=headlight#post812188

I wonder if both the mounting brackets as well as the lamp itself is from aztec8...

Any idea where i can find these parts for cheap? Seems like aztec8 is out of business... any news on that?

Also would you recommend http://www.ebay.com/bhp/dominator-headlight dominator headlights? If anyone is using them what is the lighting like?

How much should a dual headlight cost? is 100 a reasonable price?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! those do look pretty sweet... I guess im going to try to scrape together the cash for it.

anyway here are pics of my bike:

Any ideas on what to do with the instruments cluster and the expansion tank? should I make the expansion tank smaller, if so -- how much smaller?

And regarding the instruments cluster -- what do people do about that?! Can I get ticketed for not having a speedo? Where can I move it to make room for the headlights?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first picture as in the fighter with the gas mask? That one I'm sure is custom yeah... thats not even a zx10.

The first picture I took (my previous post) those are all pictures of the original everything just without the front fairing.

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
Welcome to CF ppt! Nice intro & REP when I'm reloaded! :D
(Glad you made it through your wreck...in one piece, I assume?) ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts