Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RIDE RED
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bike continues to get way over my head in fabrication!

First it was the subframe now its the swing arm...

Anyway! Swingarm will be in the mail tomorrow and I'll have it in a week or so... I'll have the SA, wheel, shock and linkage. So the only hard part is making the SA fit the frame. Making a mount for the shock will be easy! I know the swing arm is too wide so how do I narrow it to fit my frame??? Looks like there is plenty of room to do some grinding but how much is safe, how much is too much? Do I need to fab in some new spacers or can I just run a big washer between the SA and frame??

Any help is good help! Answer a question and you will get repped!

·
RIDE RED
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I take it that since no one has replied no one has done it... oh well. If im the first to put a different swingarm on a 1000 hurricane.... I hope I either fail miserably or succeed graciously. FML!!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Depending on how much it is. If its a little bit just take it off the swing arm if its alot like 20mm then take 5mm off each side of the swingarm and 5mm off each side of the frame. It all depends. When you get it and find out just how much it is you'll get more answers. Even if no one has done it on a cbr1000 hurricane it's been done on other bikes where the same theory applies. Let us know what you're looking at when you get it

·
Premium Member
50,498 Posts
trial and error when yerra pioner mate ,goodonya fer takin this on fer sure !.

I have had to shave arms down a wee bit to snug into tha frame gap but its only bin small amounts .A lotta frames hava boss welded in fer tha s/arm spindel to go throuh,ya can probably shave that boss back to tha frame but no more fer starters then attack tha arm if ya need more ,GL my frend be carefull and ride safe .;)

·
RIDE RED
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up and word of encouragement for sure!! My only question is once I shave either swingarm, frame or both( which I am not afraid to do my any means...) how do I make it a smooth transfer. I will not be making custom fit spacers cause I don't have the means... So can I get away with just washers on either side??? Cutting, welding, not worried about either! My philosophy is if I cut it I can weld it back, so I'm never worried about cutting. I just don't know how things need to fit so everything works well between the frame and swingarm and they aren't wearing or grinding together or even worse have too much play. I just don't know enough about how the swing arm pivots within the frame without causing damage to either to make me feel comfortable....

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Make sure you take lots and explain everything in detail so when the next person asks about a swingarm swap we can point him to this thread so they can learn from your mad skill yo

·
RIDE RED
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Make sure you take lots and explain everything in detail so when the next person asks about a swingarm swap we can point him to this thread so they can learn from your mad skill yo
Thanks for the words of encouragement but I do not think I have any type of mad skills. Never built a bike before, hell never really rode a bike before. Just been having fun with this one, teaching myself how to weld and paint and going from there. This bike is a 100% learning experament. Should be interesting how it turns out in the end.

But yes I will take copious amounts of pictures to show my trials and tribulations...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts