Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 465 Posts

·
RIDE RED
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I had some additional pictures but this is what I have and I hope you enjoy!

This is the Honda collection on the trailer leaving San Diego, Ca headed to Ft Sill, Ok.

Started tear down in my storage unit

Frame primered and ready for paint

Flat black paint applied to frame

Cleaning the carbs getting them ready for rebuild

The old needles and the new needles. Obviously this bike sat for some time!

Test fit of air cleaners on carbs

Put the carbs on the engine to move the engine from the dinning room across town to my storage

Installed the frame onto the engine (I am sure you all know what I mean here... it was not easy! Tight fit)

Swing arm and front forks on the bike to get it off the stand

Installed the wrapped exhaust

Selfetching primer on the tank

Sandable primer on the tank

Tank painted

Tank installed

Added the new decals

working the vacuum lines

Radiator and oil cooler installed. Moved the oil cooler to hopfully hide it some

Figuring out how I am going to run the electrical and finding what I need and what I dont.

Thanks all I have for now. I know there is a lot that I can be doing to the bike but it is a work in progress. Working in a 10x10 storage unit without power makes it difficult. I will add more pictures when I get some more work done to it. I havent started it yet. Hopefully I will have the electrical and vacuum lines done and my oil filter and wing arm bolt will come in the mail soon so I can start it. Maybe by this weekend.... Just depends on the mail at this point.

Feel free to leave comments and ask questions. Thanks for looking at the bike. It has a lot of potential and I hope to get it there soon! Thanks for looking!

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
looks nice a nice start.

·
Registered
129 Posts
How was taking the motor out and putting it back in? My first bike build and I wanna paint but don't know about taking out the motor I have a friend that rebuilt a banshee would it be something close to that

·
RIDE RED
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How was taking the motor out and putting it back in? My first bike build and I wanna paint but don't know about taking out the motor I have a friend that rebuilt a banshee would it be something close to that
It was difficult. I took off the swing arm and front forks and had the engine and frame sitting on a stand. After unbolting the engine from the frame, you take the frame off of the engine. Not the other way around. So when you have the engine and frame sitting on the stand make sure the frame is not supporting any of the weight. This will ensure the engine is sturdy and balanced when you remove the frame and hopefully the engine doesn't fall over or off the stand. If you look closely at my picture of the frame and engine you will see that only the engine is touching the stand.

·
RIDE RED
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah thought it would be pretty good challenge haha probably be one of the last things I consider doing!
Pulling the engine to paint the frame is completely worth it. Changes the bike completely.

·
RIDE RED
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some updated pictures. Electrical is a mess. Gauges are on but that's not the final location. I need to build a better mounting setup and the front headlight assembly is on but also need to build a better mount setup for that as well. Everything is in temporary locations so I can work the elec.

·
not a hugger
159 Posts
i got the same bike but a 91' same grey color. im taking notes cuz you definately improved the looks of yours. you gonna do a tail swap? a guy just posted a build of one of these in the build off section accidentally. he did a stick coil swap i think.

·
RIDE RED
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i got the same bike but a 91' same grey color. im taking notes cuz you definately improved the looks of yours. you gonna do a tail swap? a guy just posted a build of one of these in the build off section accidentally. he did a stick coil swap i think.
Right now I am just trying to get it on the road. When winter hits an I can no longer ride I will either do a swap or custom build my own. Not sure which. I am glad you like it so far. I wish I could do something with the oil cooler but as of right now I am leaving it as is.

·
RIDE RED
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haven't posted in quite some time. Pulled the carbs back off. They were leaking. Replaced all the o-rings. Good news is it doesn't leak anymore. Bad news now it doesn't run. Its not because of the carbs though. Its cause I am on the process of removing all of the Cali smog bs. I am doing some fab work today. I hope to have it running tomorrow so I can work on syncing the carbs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
RIDE RED
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 1000f is a Cali model but I am removing all of the smog components. Here are some pictures of me fabricating block off plates for the A.S.V.'s. They are not pretty but they work. Painted them with self etching primer then with a 500 deg paint called cast iron. I don't think they look to bad for using nothing but a hand held 4 1/2 inch grinder. If I had a bench grinder they would look much better. Its regardless since you can't see them anyway ;)

·
V four honda whore
12,425 Posts
what are you gonna do with that space between tank and frame?

i almost bought cbr1000f but got vfr instead

·
RIDE RED
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what are you gonna do with that space between tank and frame?

i almost bought cbr1000f but got vfr instead
Should have gone with the 1000f. From what I hear, its a better all around bike and from what I have seen it has a frame easier to work with.

·
RIDE RED
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I have some interesting updates... maybe not an update but a thought and hopefully I will get some good feedback from you guys on this horrible mock up display I have prepared. So I have never seen this done on a bike yet so maybe mine will be a first unless someone gets to it before I do. This is what the bike looks like as of about 5 min ago (yes I know the "luggage rack" is upside down. I did it on purpose because I like the way it looks :D ).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 465 Posts