Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pulled the whole harness to check for shorts and just curious on the best process for this. I know its common for the kill switch to deteriorate and cause this issue but thats not whats causing this. I undid the kill switch housing and bypassed the kill switch and it still did the same thing. I then tried starting using a piece of wire to hit the starter wires rather than using the switch itself. I check all the connections and they seem to be tight. So i dont really know what could be causing this as it was running perfectly fine and just started out of nowhere. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!:rock:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ok well that kinda eliminates the starting circuit. On my f2 there are only four wires coming off of that fuse. Of course they are the main power wires going to the other fuse box and such. Is the harness still on the bike? If so I would start with unplugging the connectors for all lights gauge etc. And try again with just the basics plugged up. How does your r/r look? And the wires at the connector for it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay so this is my first time really messing with electrical so i made a mistake. I took off my fuse block thingy and took it apart and according to my clymer its the fuse for ignition, starter, fuel pump. Also looking at the wiring diagram i only see that wire going to the stater switch, engine stop switch and fuel cut relay directly. Does it have to be one of those three things or does the wire come back out the fuel relay and spider web. suggestions now that ive given more accurate data?:confused:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks for the update. Looking at your wiring diagram, trace the wire past where it goes. Your not necessarily looking for just that power wire. You want to find what is causing the pop I.e. A short to ground or an excess of amp draw. This is assuming the appropriately sized fuse is in the spot. I'd start by checking the continuity between the connectors and crossing it with your diagram. You don't want continuity unless it's called for obviously. Also I would test each relay and switch for a short in it. If it was on the bike still it would be a little easier seeing as how you can unplug certain things and such.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i got a busy day today with making planters for carolina reapers and brewing beer but somewhere in that time im gonna just lay the harness over the bike where it would be and hook it up to the batter which should make it easy to work with. ill update after that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also i forgot to mention that if i have the kill switch set to off then i can hold the starter button down and it will just keep cranking and not cause a fuse to blow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for everyone's support i successfully mowed the grass, planted more peppers, drank beer, made beer, and fixed the hurricane!!!! So it was the fuel pump that was shorting the fuse. Luckily when i purchased the bike it came with an extra fuel pump. Plugged it up and she fired up! thanks for all the advice. :D :D :D :D :drinks:

G

·
FYI :).....Fuel pumps on these are a pain as the points in the end stick & burn, you can take the end off clean up the points & it will work again 9 times out of 10 ... always worth doing as new are expensive & if it don't work all you have lost is 15 minutes

I used to carry a spare under the seat as its a known problem

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well if your near the florida pan handle come on over and drink some beer! and good to know about the fuel pumps ill try that out and see if that fixes the issue. Are there other years that have fuel pumps that are interchangable and cheaper.?

G

·
From the little I know those pumps were used on cbr600's, 750's, 1000's & also on a couple of the V twins of the same era, all are expensive new if you can find one & the later models more so, I don't think the later ones fit straight on but maybe they can be adapted

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Thank you for everyone's support i successfully mowed the grass, planted more peppers, drank beer, made beer, and fixed the hurricane!!!! So it was the fuel pump that was shorting the fuse. Luckily when i purchased the bike it came with an extra fuel pump. Plugged it up and she fired up! thanks for all the advice. :D :D :D :D :drinks:
Ah, fuel pump. I keep forgetting that some bikes require these. :D

Glad you got it sorted out, and thanks for posting what you found.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I never knew the f1 had a fuel pump. I thought they started that with the f3. I know the f2 doesn't have one I guess that's why I thought that. I learn something new everyday. 😆 glad you got it sorted

1 - 19 of 19 Posts