Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. This is my first thread and my first fighter build and my first bike all together! I bought a 1990 Yamaha FZR600. I am told that its in pretty good condition and all it needs is an intake camshaft. The guy has it in pieces and is selling it in pieces. He was offering it for $400 but he told me $200 cash and i couldn't resist. The parts alone are worth more than that. I dont know a lot about bikes, only from what I have read on forums such as this (you guys are very helpful!). I am picking the bike up on Saturday and hope to get started on it right away. Since its in pieces Ill probably start with some sort of rough inventory since theres no stripping down of this bike its already in pieces. Who knows what is missing, hopefully nothing. Anyway I will be updating with pictures as I do work on it throughout the summer. Ive got some rough ideas for modifications that I want to do and colors I want to paint it (fyi I have pretty much any tool youll ever need at my disposal my step dad is some what of a tool collector with a small shop), but any help along the way will be much appreciated. Thankss

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It's always nice to see another FZR guy. I just finished a 660 build on mine, so if you need anything cylinder head or piston related, let me know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks I appreciate the offer. Hopefully I won't have to really do any work that involves the cylinder head or pistons lol but ya never know. Eventually I may have it bored out but I don't know enough about it yet to consider. Hopefully I'll pop in the new cam and it'll run (which correct me if I'm wrong but is in the cylinder head?)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry it has taken so long. I've been so busy with work and everything this summer. So far Ive mostly just stripped the bike down and started prepping and painting. Just kind of taking it paycheck by paycheck. Engine looks really clean and I should be installing my new intake cam I got soon enough.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Engine came in a pain in the ass box thing

not a lot of stock fairings. I believe this is off a 99 R6, came with it

box of parts

Finally got the engine out. still had oil in it, got everywhere cause i had to tip it to get the damn thing out

took the cam assembly apart (which was supposedly the problem)

Im missing a couple of these rubber pad things on the cam brackets. is this a big deal? they seem to just be little dampers/pads for the header cover to rest on

found the problem lol

pretty clean air box. new filter. although when i took the air box apart there was like a ton of weird little nuts or buds from a tree in it

idk why but the front sprocket is welded on. its not in bad condition but i was thinking of getting a new one anyway but now im not so sure

headers arent in great shape

box of spare parts. mostly stuff that he had already replaced. let me know if you need any parts for the engine head or valves or anything ive got a lot of spare parts

brand new boots came with it

new or at least newer alternator came with it. not sure if the old one is even bad. anyone have advice on how to check if its any good or not? id like to sell it. it has a spare cover with it too

this wrinkling isnt a problem is it?

made up a quick bike stand out of some wood we had layin around

cracked heel guard

just taking pictures as i strip it in case i need reference for when i assemble it again

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

rear rotor looks alright. the front ones are in horrible shape though

luckily my step dad is lettin me use his shop and he has every tool i need including this handy dandy parts washer. works nice

shock looks pretty rough

idk if you can tell but the front rotors are worn to shit

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

rubber chain guard thing. need a new one any ideas?

you can see the chain guard off on the wood

took some paint remover called goof off. its in an aerosol can. great stuff

Painted the heel guard with truck liner as a test. kinda like it. think im gonna run a layer of some tough rubber undercoat as a light layer over top of it after it dries to give it some softness and durability

first i cleaned the forks off with some solvent in the parts washer. didnt do much

took some light sand paper to the chrome part of the fork to get all the scratches and paint off. ill polish it eventually

then i took that goof off stuff to the bottom of the forks. took the paint right off and cleaned them up nice. even took the decal off

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
prepped it for paint. i figured i didnt need primer since the truck liner is thick

looks pretty good but if you look close you can see alot of scratches and uneven spots under the paint. everything else i use with truck liner i will prime

actually found the sticker with the bike info underneath all that paint

everything checks out. sweet

started preping the frame

i think i might put a few more layers on the swing arm to try and hide those scratches more

picked up an intake cam off ebay for $33 total. wasnt expecting it to be perfect and its not. wasnt impressed with it. its not bad but there is some wear and a spot where there is a little chunk guaged out. another is on its way

ended up using a real rough sanding bit on an air sander. took all the paint off including the factory paint and primer. itll be real smooth for my primer now

got my undertail in the mail. scratched it up with some 180 grit for priming. my plan is to do a tail swap with an 02-03 R1 tail

got the undertail and the working, clean tail light (03 R1) for a total of $34 including shipping. amazing deal on ebay

this is the old tail that came with it if anyone is interested. its in rough shape but there arent any serious cracks or damage as far as i can tell. just needs work

old speedometer that came with it. my plan is to buy a new one but idk if i wanna fork out the cash. i want a digital speedometer with a tachometer and a fuel/air ratio guage

Thats where I am as of now. Most of my recent work has been prepping for paint. My plan is to get the frame painted and the intake cam set as soon as i can. i wanna start the wiring before i put the engine in and i need the frame painted before i start that. my color scheme is going to be matte black (some truck liner/rubber undercoat), with dark metallic charcoal silver tank wheels and tail and tannish gold forks as well as tannish gold trim in the engine and rim tape. most of my engine will be matte black. i think im gonna paint the headers matte black and wrap em with black wrap. also gonna put an R6 shock, yzf 600 tank, pod filters, shorter gp style tail pipe, rear seat with peg mounts, new guages of some sort, ducati style head light, R6 front blue dot calipers, new front rotors, some sort of modded rear hugger, fan override, new revolver end grips, new lithium battery, mostly new wiring, risers and mx style handlebars, new gold o ring chain, new rear sprocket....thats all i can think of for now lol not even sure if i can fit this in my budget but any advice so far would be appreciated im learnin as i go.

·
That One Creep....
847 Posts
Nice work and lots of pics, can't wait to see what u have in store also I'm interested in that Speedo if u do decide to sell it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry its been so long guys. Our wifi has been crapping out. Anyway I've cleaned everything up and sent the stuff off to powder coat. Hopefully Ill get it all back tomorrow. Ill post all the pictures since my last post.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

got the gasket and put the clutch cover on

took apart the rear caliper and cleaned it all up. The pins were pretty shot and the seals probably are too. Needs new pads also but it cleaned up nice

had the intake cams I ordered off ebay checked out by the guy who rebuilt the engine for my step dads 63 1/2 ford galaxy. everything checked out so i went ahead on putting it in

I ordered bel ray assembly lube off bike bandit and used that throught the whole process. what a mess...

getting both cams in was a pain in the ass

made sure i tightened everything exactly how the manual stated and to the specified torque

i was surprised by how much the cam chain loosened after all of the allen bolts were tightened down

the intake was spot on

the exhaust cam was pretty damn close
but after 1 revolution of the crankshaft they seemed way off. just to be safe i grabbed another beer, took a deep breath, and did it all over again and tried it on the next chain link both ways. both ways were even worse and ive read that it is common for them not to line up perfectly so its as good as itll get.

put the cam chain tensioner on

and the guard

taped the head gasket in place since it was worn out and deformed. im hoping it wont leak. i have some ez bead gasket maker that i can use if i need to

got the stator cover on. that little gasket for the wire coming out is a pain in the ass to get into place

couldnt find the stock screws except for 1 so i took it to tractor supply and got a bunch of the same size for like $3. OEM were like $4 a piece and theres 8 lol. used some lock washers that we had in the shop

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

put the carbs on finally. at this point im just getting anxious until i can get the frame painted and the engine in the frame

took the sprocket cover off and some stuff around it to see how dirty it was. decided it was too dirty to spend time cleaning ha so i cleaned it up slightly and put it all back together. replaced the orings on the pump tubes/coolant tubes

got the new tank in for the tank swap. its off an 07 yzf 600. got a few scratches and dents but i got it for $40 plus $20 shipping which is a steal compared to what else ive seen on ebay.

of course it didnt come with a key so i had to break off the gas cap and buy a new one

off to powder coat! guy in rochester is doing frame, swing arm,triple tree, and a bunch of little pieces (sandblasting and powder) for like $250

laid some truck liner on the front fender. ill eventually replace it but its not in the budget right now

·
i dont know why
7 Posts
Hey that look really good im trying to build an 88 fzr but i havnt a clue really but your engin work is excelent and super helpfull how are u going to hide the stinking wireing thats with the bike also how hard is it to pull the whole thing appart i havnt a clue where to start
Well done and hope u post more soon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts