Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got myself a new donor to play with! got it for next to nothing and get it on the road as my daily rider at the moment, as had to sell all my other bikes to buy a house (the things we do) so at the moment its just gunna stay as it is but plans for mods are:

ZXR750 carb tops
2001 GSXR front calipers
ZX7r front end
Rear shock swap for something else, not sure what yet though need to find out what fits...
ZZR1100 rear wheel (17 inch)
One off pipe
Obviously bars/lights

Thats about it for now, dont want to go crazy on it because I need to to stay rideable, then I can tear it down properly in the winter.

Anybody done one before? im after some advise for fitment on running gear from other bikes, especially the rear shock, I read somehwhere that someone had got hayabusa complete front and rear end set up which would be awesome but could end up being costly...

any ideas welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
Reminds me of my 89 ZX10, my first big bike. Swapping the carb tops out for the 750 h model ninja was a great mod. Made more difference than re-jetting did.

I never street fighter-ed mine - Loved the shape too much but was forever fixing the fairings are they were so old and had gone really brittle.

Nice beefy looking engine and tank on those bikes, makes them look as wide as a car. I'd get some chunky ass yokes and USD's on there. A fat rear end would look good too. All depends how far your wanting to go with it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I got the grinder out on the lowers because they looked like they had been paper mache'd on to the bike! I want to try and keep the back end because I like the older style of the bike, but im gunna try and jack it up a bit... want to get that can off soon as aswell its fugly!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having just bought a house I have no money so im trying to do this build with minimal spend, first thing was the skorpion can was all busted and looked shit so today I had a bit of time in the workshop so made a stainless can for the zx10, just using stainless tube and baffle, fibreglass wadding, and welded it all shut and stuck it on it sounds great!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Great idea I say loose the mid pipe and just let that stick out right behind the rearset

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did a few little bits today I painted the exhaust in vht as I felt it stood out a bit too much on the bike and now it looks alot better, also noticed whilst looking at the plugs that it was running a little lean on the far left pot, so had a fiddle and it seemed the airbox wasnt seating on the carbs properly and no matter how hard you pushed it on the second you let go it just popped off again, I tried cable ties on the boots and all sorts of other ideas but in the end I made up some hooks out of wire and used an old push bike inner tube to make a strap that hooks onto the subframe and pulls the airbox down onto the carbs, that coupled with the existing strap at the bottom holds them tightly on the carbs nicely. On reflection it seems that the original strap at the bottom of the airbox could have been partly to blame, as it dragged the bottom of the airbox toward the bike therefore making the top of the box pull away... but im please it seals well now and looking forward to see if it makes any difference to how it runs.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
took the fatty out for its first proper ride today! (about 100 miles) and it rides great! only it leaks oil and fuel at n alarming rate! I wondered why Id gone through 25 quids worth of fuel in no time at all! then looked at the tank and it had been repaired before and was dripping onto the frame, so need to weld that up and the oil coolers fins are all bent up and leaking so need a new one of those, otherwise though pretty good... I'm gunna replace the camchain because it rattles and the tensioner is all the way out... then I wanna get a 17" wheel in the back there and sort out the rear shock, it wallows alot in high speed bends, so want to swap it our for something a bit more modern, maybe a zx9r shock? dunno what would gooo in there but need to have a look...

Attachments

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Congrats on the house, good luck with the zx10, my favorite mod was the ZX11D model 17 inch wheel with proper tires. Oh and dirty bars, that bike had the most uncomfortable clip-ons to me.

Reactions: FIGHTER954RR

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right I managed to get a zx11 oil cooler on and oil tight and moved the ignition barrell down under the seat on the right side, and got the clocks mounted as tight as poss to the yokes so it rides, but unfortunately on inspection discovered a clutch cover bolt snapped off in the motor and also the sump has been cracked around the bolt before and plassy welded so I have decided not to spend any money on it at all i'm just gunna use it as a ratty hack bike, so thats the end of the build thread :( but the good news is im in the new house now and will have some spare cash near the autumn period and I plan on getting something worth building, and ill be in my new garage :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts