Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up everyone, im new here so i figured i would shoot up a thread about my build.

I just bought this bike for 300 bucks off a desperate seller.

Its a 1993 GSXR750.

First on the list is redoing the electrical systems, installing mirrors and blinkers and a new headlight. I also have a leaking bolt in the transmission case so ill have to yank that out, re tap and thread the hole and stick a bigger bolt in. Ive been JB welding it for a quick fix in the mean time.

Its missing a lot of the plastics because the bike was laid down a while back, but i dont mind because i wanted to replace them anyways.

Im new to motorcycles but have worked on cars sense i was 16 years old. I have a question id like to ask.

I bought the bike yesterday, started up just find, road it around for about 6 hours, parked it at home and when i went to start it up this morning to go to work it wouldnt fire up. It was just making that "whining" noise but wouldnt crank over. I figured the battery didnt have enough juice to fire it up so i attempted to jump start the bike with my ex girlfriends car and i blew out the batter. So i went to the store, picked up a new one and had them charge it. Itll be ready in about an hour from now, so on my lunch break im going to go pick it up and install it, and hopefully it starts up. IF not, what are some other potential reasons the bike wont fire up? it worked perfectly the day before, but this morning no luck.

I was told it may be a relay somewhere, anyone have any clues on that? Also, im worried that while i was attempting to jump the bike i may have blown a fuse in the process, is that a common issue when making a newb mistake like mine?

Thanks for the input guys, Heres a picture of my bucket bike.....remember i bought it as a project bike lol, and for 300 bucks!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok heres a quick update.

Pulled the carbs off the bike to clean them, the previous owner was running the bike without an air filter and man....the carbs showed it lol.

Got them all cleaned up and reinstalled. I have a new rear brake rotor, wire harness, starter, rear brake pedal and new front brake master cylinder in the mail. Should be here in a few days, after they are installed the bike will be road worthy and next up will be the fun part.....the cosmetics and mods lol.

Questions for you guys, What is the most recent front end I can put on this bike? Ive heard of someone putting a 2003 gsxr 750 front end on, but i cant seem to find that thread for the life of me. So im curious, is there a set of specific parameters the front end must fit? if so, what do i have to measure?

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Welcome in

I wouldn't add a thing to it.

Did you have the car running when you jumped it? If you did there's one of the issues.

I'd stay w the forks but maybe look at an 06 600 caliper to upgrade the brakes and maybe just freshen up the forks w some new internals. Even stock would help but fuck stock. If you're in there upgrade that shit.

·
Once You Go Italian...
210 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, my dumb ass didnt realize you werent supposed to jump a bike with the car running, so i know i messed up that part. i really do want to upgrade the suspension, the bike feels very very heavy and sluggish in turns compared to my buddies R6. I know that a 2007 gsxr 1000 rear shock is a direct bolt in fit for my bike, so i plan on grabbing one of those off ebay. But being my first bike im not sure if its my imagination or not but the front end just feels shot. Its very, idk if limp is the correct term, but i dont feel like its as responsive as it should be. I want to stay away from a mechanics shop as much as possible so if i can find a front end thats a bolt on thats what i want to do. Even if it means just grabbing a rebuilt stock front end and using that.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I think you should atleast try and do a fork oil and seal change on your forks first before switching to a different frontend. If you are pulling the forks off to switch them out any ways why not give it a go. Trust me you can do it, it's really not too hard of a job. (unless it is some kind of crazy hard job lol...Never owned a gsxr.) But speaking from experience on other bikes with conventional and usd forks it just not as bad as you think it is.

If you buy a different fork setup for your bike, unless you find one that you can trust when someone says "fresh rebuild" you'll be doing fork seals and fluid change any ways...Fresh fork oil at the correct level will make a world of difference in the feel of your forks...

/My 2 cents

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good advice, ive never attempted anything like that. Let me see if google wants to be kind to me and gives me a tutorial lol

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Best piece of advise I can give you is to buy a manual.
For real....
Or download one....
For real...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the bently manual i had for the 88 535is i restored / upgraded saaaaved my life so many times. I plan on ordering one off ebay in the next few days.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
..replacing.. Fairings? You know that's just the plastic wrapper that the bike comes in, right? :D

In saying that I have a full set which I'm trying to sell. But if you picked the bike up for that little I highly doubt you're anywhere near Australia..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so in the past 2 days ive discovered more problems....which is to be expected lol.

I recieved a box in the mail with a rear brake rotor and new wire harness, started installing the wire harness, i thiiiink i have it all set up correctly. There are some connections that have yet to be made, but seeing as how i dont have brake lights, blinkers, or headlights as of rite now that is to be expected. I also am struggling to find a place to keep all the wires because im chopping like....8 inches off the rear subframe so i have a lot of extra slack.

I went to pull the rear wheel to replace the rotor and rite when i removed the axle a bearing came out of somewhere ( i really have no idea where it goes) and its completely shot, looks like a frag hit it. Then the sprocket came off the rim like it was just resting on top of it......so whats going on there? am i missing a pin that keeps the sprocket in place or something? where did that bearing come from lol?

Then 1 more question for this post, does the rear subframe do anything other then support the rider on the seat? like if i chop everything off thats not directly under the driver seat is that safe?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
My rear wheel is like that too. 2-piece (for the most part) hub. Was kinda surprised the first time I pulled mine off and the sprocket went clunk. Best thing to do if you don't have a manual handy is find a good parts website that shows exploded views of parts and how they go together. Cheap cycle parts comes to mind. There are others I can't think of off the top of my head, but they make great references, and if you need common stuff (nuts and bolts, etc) you can find the specs and get em at the hardware store.

One thing, you said a po had no air filter? None at all? I'd be worried about the motor...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah it had no air filter, im not sure how long he ran it that way. The motor seems ok to me, i have yet to run a compression test but ive put about 14 hours of road time on the bike so far and the motor seemed fine to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man im getting nervous about chopping up the rear subframe lol......being an extreme budget build im scared of fucking up and wasting money lol.....what is safe to cut off? i dont think i even really want a tail, i want it to end after the riders seat, ill make a fiber glass end piece to clean it up but i dont want a long ass tail on the bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went to remove the rear subframe and front end yesterday (only day off this week) half the bolts on the rear subframe are stripped......could have guessed that would happen....so i get to drill and tap those. I started to pull apart the front end, got to the forks and realized my jerry rigged stand was not good enough to support the bike without the front end on lol.

Seems to me like im at a stand still with the project till i can fund more parts in the next week or two. unless you guys can think of something i can do in the mean time. I guess i can pull the motor and do the engine work and inspection, then paint it. but idk lol, im scared to pull that motor out

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just gatta figure out a way to do it safely lol. Rite now the bike is jacked up with a car jack and held up by two jack stands lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts