Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this 1994 F2 a couple of days ago, for a mere 600$. Has 27000 miles on the ODO, and is in overall good shape.

I did get all the plastics with it, and all are in good shape, just been crappily spray painted black. I won't be using any of them, so if anybody is interested let me know and i'll give you a good price.

The bike has it's pros and it definitely has its cons as well. It was 600$ though, I can't expect perfection!

Pros: (I'll update this list as I get through the bike.)
Clear Title (Last bike I bought ended up with all kinds of title issues, so this is huge for me haha)
Clean Frame
Gas tank is internally clean
Forks are in good condition
everything rolls freely
Partially new wiring harness

Cons:
Dented tank
Isn't currently running (Get into that later)
Missing some misc nuts and bolts

Alright so to start this off i'll start with where I got the bike. Got the bike from an old man that lives near me. He bought the bike to flip it, before he even got it finished a boy bought it (on a payment plan), when the boy couldn't pay him he returned the bike.

When the boy he sold it to had it he was in the process of swapping in a new stator, that install never got completed. So this is why the bike does not run as of right now, but I believe that once the stator is installed it should start. (I haven't got down to the carbs or anything yet though.)

One section of the wiring harness has already been replaced. Which is fine by me but i'll be cutting it up to reroute it anyway :rock:

It is missing the gas cap bolts, which is fine, I want a new cap anyway.

Other then that I haven't found to much wrong with the bike as of yet.

So here is what I got last night (Plastics and extras are off to the side. Need to finish cleaning out my shed to make room for everything.):

I spent about half an hour or so last night stripping some things off.

Removed the tank, removed the air filter (the one in there had mildewed for some reason.), removed the gauge cluster, removed the front fairing stay, and removed those god awful spiked bar ends. The night ended like this:

I am looking forward to this build more then any build i've ever done. A streetfighter has always been what I wanted, but I just never had the time or space to do it.

My plans that I know for a fact right now are:

Fix the dents of course
Pull the motor and get on a stand so I can clean, dismantle, and reassemble.
Replace all gaskets/bearings
Heighten the rear subframe, install a 06-07 R6 tail.
12" LED Light Bar for headlights

The rest is to be determined.

Looking forward to being around here and showing the build progress!

Can anybody tell me what swingarms are a direct bolt on, if any, to replace the stocker on this bike? Wanting to go with a wider rear tire and wheel but I don't have any shops near me I woulc trust to widen the stocker, nor am I a very good welder lol

·
Registered
534 Posts
Good find. They are great bikes, mines in pieces at the moment but, still a great bike. As far as swingers, almost anything will fit with a little work. I know the rr works, bit requires some cutting and an aluminum plug welded in. It's a little plate so shouldn't be charged too much to have it welded for ya. Other then that, I would decide how wide a rear you want and then look for a rear that matches. Then juts make it fit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cant wait to see what ya do with it man. i was thinking about the r6 tail myself but decided to keep it honda with the 600rr tail. gonna be keeping an eye on this one.
To be honest with you, I could change my mind at anytime on what tail I want to end up with. I'm not a very one directional person. I've thought about an MV Augusta F4 tail, but wayyy to expensive haha

Got a little bit of work done last night. Not a lot, but it's progress nonetheless.

Got the airbox pulled and got my first look at the carbs last night. They are clean, I give them that (at least internally), but I will be the first to admit I have never owned a carbd vehicle and can use some help with how it all works.

If i'm not mistaken the black slide should move when you turn the throttle? When I turn my throttle though nothing moves.

Found out that the choke cable is junk and needs to be replaced.

The air filtered was mildewed it seems:

The brake fluid actually wasn't to dirty, I took the cap off after this picture I was just astonished at how much had been spray painted on this thing!

I removed the left hand controls last night, and for the life of me I can NOT figure out how to remove this wire from the clutch perch. I feel like an idiot, but I tried everything I could think of, so any help would be very well appreciated.

Then I went ahead and started pulling the wiring harness and marking the connections. Learned that the starter is disconnected on the bike for some reason, luckily the bolts are sitting right on top of the engine still. Good thing they didn't fly off in my 50 mile transport of this thing.

and I wanted my stopping point to be removing the ignition last night, however when I got to the front and got ready to remove it, I realized that rather then the usual shear head security bolts it has a funky torx bit, anybody know what size it actually is? or a good tool to get them out with? (This is why I like shear bolts, just grind them off and be done haha)

Tonight I will hopefully get quite a few hours to work on this thing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good find. They are great bikes, mines in pieces at the moment but, still a great bike. As far as swingers, almost anything will fit with a little work. I know the rr works, bit requires some cutting and an aluminum plug welded in. It's a little plate so shouldn't be charged too much to have it welded for ya. Other then that, I would decide how wide a rear you want and then look for a rear that matches. Then juts make it fit.
Sounds good, I just want a 180 rear tire, so the RR swingarm would be almost perfect. I can get the guys in the shop at work to do any welding I want basically so thats no big deal :rock:

I guess the search for a swingarm and a wheel/wheels begins now!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got to do a good bit of work over the weekend!

Got most of the wiring harness pulled, and got it about 75% marked up. The help of the wiring diagram's Spaded sent me will assist in the rest of that this week seeing as I plan to redo the entire harness.

Learned that cheap HF drive couplers don't work to well on old seized bolts, broke two :fu:

Removed the grips, and hand controls:

How does a throttle tube get this fucked up? Planned to upgrade anyway

Gonna have to switch to a new set of control houses as well I believe. The threads in both of them weren't in that great of shape:

Discovered the rotors are basically brand new, but discovered alot of marring/Rust spots on the forks. Hoping some sanding, never dull, and some paint will fix all of those issues.

This is where I stopped saturday night:

Sunday Morning I was at it again.

This is where things got bad. Quick.

Decided I was going to conquer the stator. See why the PO didn't complete the install.

Well I found this little guy jammed in the hole that enters the crank housing.:

Well that would explain why the install was never completed. Luckily we have an aluminum welder in our shop where I work, and they will hopefully be able to get it put together. If not I guess i'll be buying a new lower casing.

Brakes were all seized up and the pads look like they haven't been changed since 1994:

These bolts refuse to even begin to turn.

and this is how she currently sets until my Haynes manual comes in and I can pull the small stuff off. Sadly the motor won't be fixed until I can get it stripped down to take the casing in.

Gonna pick me up an engine stand from HF and make some adapters out of some 3x3 angle at work. Should get to drop the engine and start pulling it apart by next week.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have/ had the same issue with my f2. I don't have aluminum welders near me unfortunately but I did find this
'92 Honda CBR600 F2 broken starter-boss repair: http://youtu.be/qR_vFDHzvMI
It's the route I'm going. I will, like he states in the video, leave the shank a lil thicker though. Good luck and looking good so far. Are you planning the r6 throttle tube?
Got the link to work, that way looks a LOT easier. I can do that myself, and it avoids me having to tear the motor down just to take it in to be welded. I do believe this will be my weekend project! That honestly may even be better then the OEM boss haha

and Yes, that or a 600RR tube, I was thinking about going to a 600RR right side control as well if it will work.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got everything I need to fix it today, turning the bolt down in the shop on my lunch, hopefully have a put together bike soon!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Good deal. Let us know how it turns out. Looked stout enough for me, and all in for about 20 bones too. I know the r6 works, not sure about the rr though. I'll have to look into that one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good deal. Let us know how it turns out. Looked stout enough for me, and all in for about 20 bones too. I know the r6 works, not sure about the rr though. I'll have to look into that one.
Mic'd it out, drew it up, and figured i'd give you guys some CAD drawings in case it happens to you as well.

Started with McMasterCarr # 91257A636

Which is a 3" Long, Partial Thread HHCS, 3/8-16 Threads, I started with the MMC part because it is what we stock here.

Here is the plans for anybody that wants them:

·
Registered
141 Posts

If i'm not mistaken the black slide should move when you turn the throttle? When I turn my throttle though nothing moves.

The black slides are opened by a diaphragm. The only thing the throttle should move are the throttle plates (the brass valve plate under the black slide).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The black slides are opened by a diaphragm. The only thing the throttle should move are the throttle plates (the brass valve plate under the black slide).
Good to know. I'm not sure if those even turn to be honest. I'll get it all figured out soon though.

damn man that stator problem blew up quick huh. i like the cheap fix in the video, as long as it holds up.
Yeah, well based off the strength of a Grade 8 bolt thats a little over a 1/4" in DIA, it should hold up fine, but nobody can be for sure until they finish it lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Placed an order for a full gasket kit, and 4 liters of Repsol 15w50 along with a K&N Oil Filter from STG today. Once that comes in I should be able to start it up!

Gonna work on some cleaning today.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts