Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, sorry I haven't been around for a while. My life at work has been crazy, working about 80 hours a week, and I just honestly haven't had a lick of time in order to get onto the site and do much posting.

My old thread is full of broken links thanks to Photobucket and it's new crap where you have to pay after so many pictures.

So I started a Flickr, and brought the old pics over and some new pics for you guys of the work I have got done recently.

Lets start from the beginning.

This was the day I picked her up:
IMG_1315 by wv600f2, on Flickr
I got her for 600$. Didn't run.

Later that night:

IMG_1316 by wv600f2

IMG_1317 by wv600f2, on Flickr

IMG_1324 by wv600f2, on Flickr

IMG_1325 by wv600f2, on Flickr

Carbs looked good.
IMG_1326 by wv600f2, on Flickr

The air filter was horrible. Mainly from setting in a half damp shed with a dirt floor I believe.
IMG_1333 by wv600f2, on Flickr

So many things on this bike were done wrong.

Spray painted reservoirs:
IMG_1334 by wv600f2, on Flickr

The next day I started pulling the wiring harness. Got most of it pulled and marked:
IMG_1339 by wv600f2, on Flickr

As I started removing things I found more stuff wrong. Throttle Tube was beat all to shit:
IMG_1343 by wv600f2, on Flickr

IMG_1345 by wv600f2, on Flickr

The threads in the control housings were cracked and stripped:
IMG_1346 by wv600f2, on Flickr

Buttons are all in horrible shape. I think this thing lived outside for a while. So now i'm still on the hunt for some replacements. Will ones from a newer bike work?
IMG_1348 by wv600f2, on Flickr

The rotors were in great shape to my suprise:

IMG_1350 by wv600f2, on Flickr

Forks needed a little bit of cleanup: Anybody know a good way to remove the rust spots from the polished surface? Neverdull has taken a good bit off, but still a few deeper ones. I'm guessing sanding is my only option. These forks are just temporary but still.

IMG_1353 by wv600f2, on Flickr

IMG_1352 by wv600f2, on Flickr

I left her setting here that night:
IMG_1354 by wv600f2, on Flickr

The next day was the day I thought I had seen my demise. I finally got the motor....

I found this:
IMG_1364 by wv600f2, on Flickr
IMG_1365 by wv600f2, on Flickr
IMG_1366 by wv600f2, on Flickr

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Luckily it was an easy fix. I'll post that farther down this thread.

Next up I removed the brakes. How anybody ever rode this bike with them in this condition I will never know. The pads looked like they had been in a grater.

IMG_1367 by wv600f2, on Flickr
IMG_1368 by wv600f2, on Flickr

The master cylinder cap was almost impossible to remove do to the mixture of spray paint and rust covering the bolts

IMG_1373 by wv600f2, on Flickr

IMG_1374 by wv600f2, on Flickr

Removed the underpan, battery box, etc and left it like this for the day:

IMG_1377 by wv600f2, on Flickr
IMG_1378 by wv600f2, on Flickr
IMG_1380 by wv600f2, on Flickr
IMG_1382 by wv600f2, on Flickr
IMG_1384 by wv600f2, on Flickr
IMG_1386 by wv600f2, on Flickr

Couple weeks later I fixed the starter boss:

IMG_1426 by wv600f2, on Flickr
IMG_1427 by wv600f2, on Flickr

Few days after that I started cleaning up the brake system:

It took me about 30 minutes to get them this clean.
IMG_1450 by wv600f2, on Flickr

Then I managed to get the master cylinder cover off, and find that the brake fluid is just horrible.

IMG_1449 by wv600f2, on Flickr
IMG_1447 by wv600f2, on Flickr

Fast forward a few more days, I started tearing my carbs down to clean, replace seals, install stage 1 jets:

I got this far and had to stop do to stripped bolts.

IMG_1652 by wv600f2, on Flickr

Went out and got some small vice grips to get the bolts loose and then removed the bowls to find this:

Not as bad as I expected.
IMG_1681 by wv600f2, on Flickr

IMG_1682 by wv600f2, on Flickr

IMG_1680 by wv600f2, on Flickr

Got some new bolts that are stainless SHCS and some lock washers so that I won't have to worry about the bolt issue again. Now i'm waiting on my carb seals to come in.

Did some more stripping that night. Got everything seperated, in bags, and awaiting to be reinstalled once my frame is finished. Left it at this point that night:

IMG_1698 by wv600f2, on Flickr

Fast forward to christmas. I had a couple weeks of no time to do anything on the bike preparing for the holidays. However my brother did fix the dent in my tank for me for christmas :rock:

IMG_1814 by wv600f2, on Flickr

I decided to finish up the last thing before I could drop my motor that next day. Remove the headers. They aren't in the best of shape...Brought them to work today so I can sandblast them and drop them off for some ceramic coating. Will post pics when I get that done.

IMG_1835 by wv600f2, on Flickr

IMG_1837 by wv600f2, on Flickr

IMG_1838 by wv600f2, on Flickr

Got my steel in for my subframe in!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looking good man, she looked pretty rough to start with.
Thanks! Yeah. You wouldn't believe all the rough things I have found on this bike. It has 27000 miles on it but I swear you would think it had 50k.

Glad your back man... was wondering where ya got off too... good progress too
Yeah man, just a very very busy home life and any spare time i've found has been spent solely on the bike just not enough time to document the progress.

cool bike man. i dig the F series CBRs. gota good starting pint.
Thanks! I can't wait to get started on the new subframe this week!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Little update. Got my seats and my tail fairing in the mail!

Ordering my tail lights and rear signals this week.

Did some more sandblasting

Rearsets, clip ons, shifter, shift linkage

Next up are my engine covers this week sometime.

Removed my clutch and stator covers last night, however I am having an issue with the Pulse cover. The gaskets are old, and it seems like the cover is actually glued on or something. Gonna make a threaded insert and attach it to a slide hammer at work today to hopefully get the bitch off.

I also need to create a puller for the stator because I can't get it out for the life of me. thought about a bearing puller but didn't want to fuck it up. Options?

Primered and painted my headers over the weekend. They turned out ok, but i'll be doing a black header wrap as well!

Untitled by wv600f2, on Flickr

Sorry for the lack of pictures in this update, but I was just concentrated on working!

Subframe work starts this week!!!!!!

·
Isn't as dumb as he seems
549 Posts
This is cool. I'm going to watch and see how the black header wrap turns out, because I want to use it in the future, but have read that all the black "evaporates" within like 6 months.
At least the titanium wrap... Are you gonna' use that or fiberglass?
The titanium wrap seems easier (and better), but the black disappearing sounds crappy.

Anyway, awesome progress... I know what you mean about swearing it has 50K miles when it has way less. Mine has 21K miles but it looks like it's been to hell and back. Spray paint everywhere, bent forks, radiator held on with a coathanger, hacked up wiring everywhere, zip ties everywhere, dents everywhere, missing fasteners everywhere, ghetto ass tiny fasteners with huge washers everywhere, etc.
But regarding the pads... The bike I looked at before the one I bought had NO pads... Pistons straight to rotors.
Needless to say, I passed on it for $2K firm.

The guy I bought my second bike (which sat for then last 16 years so it's in better cosmetic shape than my much newer bike) from had an F2 next to it, with the fairings all taped together and shit... All I could think about was how sexy it would look with the fairings gone and an R6 tail and a round headlight. =P
Any idea what color she's gonna' be?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is cool. I'm going to watch and see how the black header wrap turns out, because I want to use it in the future, but have read that all the black "evaporates" within like 6 months.
At least the titanium wrap... Are you gonna' use that or fiberglass?
The titanium wrap seems easier (and better), but the black disappearing sounds crappy.

I've heard the same thing. The way I see it though it's cheap enough that I can change it every few months and be happy. This is what i'm buying

http://www.ebay.com/itm/V8-HEADER-K...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19faba38ea&vxp=mtr

Anyway, awesome progress... I know what you mean about swearing it has 50K miles when it has way less. Mine has 21K miles but it looks like it's been to hell and back. Spray paint everywhere, bent forks, radiator held on with a coathanger, hacked up wiring everywhere, zip ties everywhere, dents everywhere, missing fasteners everywhere, ghetto ass tiny fasteners with huge washers everywhere, etc.
But regarding the pads... The bike I looked at before the one I bought had NO pads... Pistons straight to rotors.
Needless to say, I passed on it for $2K firm.

This bike hasn't been THAT bad yet. It just hasn't been well maintained. A little clean up, grinding, sanding, and paint and it'll be brand new!

The guy I bought my second bike (which sat for then last 16 years so it's in better cosmetic shape than my much newer bike) from had an F2 next to it, with the fairings all taped together and shit... All I could think about was how sexy it would look with the fairings gone and an R6 tail and a round headlight. =P
Any idea what color she's gonna' be?

The tank and Tail will be wrapped in either Flat White Vinyl, or plastidipped flat white. Whatever is cheaper.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Made a little progress last night.

Got some more covers off, Pulse cover is still stuck. Slide Hammer and bearing puller will be in today, hopefully that will get me somewhere.

I did however get my Thermostat cover off, and to my huge suprise, very little settlement.

i could not say the same for the front sprocket cover however. I have no idea when this thing was ever cleaned, or if it was ever cleaned. There was a good 1" thick buildup on the cover itself, not counting was was inside.

Also, i'm debating on this headlight setup, what do you guys think? Trying to get away from the common LSL light. Wondering if anybody had pics of one of these on a bike?

Today I'll be sandblasting all of my engine covers, minus the stator and the pulse since one I can't get off and the other has a stator in it still.

EDIT: Also, started working on a bolt guide, since most of the visible bolts I plan to replace, here is the start of it if anybody is interested.

Bike Bolt Guide by wv600f2, on Flickr

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Scored some pretty good ebay finds yesterday!

Got a right hand control piece in great condition, considering mine is busted

Got a left hand in great condition as well since it was cheap and mine is faded and cracked.

Got a working starter, mines fucked, and for 20$ I couldn't say no.

and last but not least I got a full set of tail/signal lights for a GSXR 750 for $45!

Also, I FINALLY got my pulse cover off. Welded up this puppy at work, first slide and it released!

by wv600f2, on Flickr

Damn seal behind it was so old i'm amazed that it even did the trick. However to my amazement, it was CLEAN behind the pulse cover!!

by wv600f2, on Flickr

Everything seems to be in good health. Even the CCT, but i'm switching that out for a manual anyway.

and I left these out a couple weeks ago, got my seats in, very light damage, nothing a recovering won't fix, so for 30$ I won't complain!

by wv600f2, on Flickr
by wv600f2, on Flickr
by wv600f2, on Flickr

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well today I got my tail fairing in, so I immediately had to grab some clamps and go outside for a base layout! I'm loving it! Will look alot better once there is a 180 rear tire on it, but that's a minimilistic thing!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got my tail lights and everything in yesterday, put them in my fairing and found out that the fairing is COMPLETELY wrong. Huge gaps at each of the mounting holes. So I sent it back and am awaiting my refund. At which point I found another company that sells them and guarantees 99% OEM fitment with ABS plastic in Texas for a decent price.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Scored another good deal on ebay last night!

F4 Swingarm, complete with bearings, brake pads, caliper, caliper bracket, wheel, tire, brake line, etc

and got a Complete F4 Rear shock assembly.

Total cost, $144.50!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well got some good progress yesterday morning!

Pulled the water pump and drained the last bit of coolant in the bike. Luckily, it was CLEAN and NEW! Even though the bike seems horribly maintained on the outside, it's been good inside. So far. The dirt in the coolant came from the water pump cover.

The oil that was left was clean and new as well!

Then the good stuff started happening! Got the bike on the table and started chopping with the angle grinder!

I left half the gas mount so I could get my lines correct.

Started cutting some foam board to figure out an idea for my subframe. It won't be definite until I get my tail fairing in and get it mached up as well.

Left it like this for the day. Will have more progress this week!

This was the final result for the frame rails

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Came home to a VERY large package on the front porch at lunchtime today!

my F4 rear end assembly is here! I'll post pics later.

If anybody is interested in the F2 stuff just let me know and i'll make you a heck of a deal on it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts