Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... might do a trade for one, recent engine work done by a bike shop and it's nice and tidy.. kick only (gonna suck in summer but that's life)..throw info at me. got super moto plans...

·
moron with a hammer
119 Posts
I cannot say enough good things about the XR600. It's not too heavy, and it has a simple, reliable motor. As long as the carb is dialed, you shouldn't have starting issues, hot or cold, and if you break something, it probably wasn't the bike's fault. There are about eight billion of them out there, so parts are cheap and easy to come by.

Most parts from the 650L will swap right over. It's essentially the same bike, but 50 lbs overweight and with E-start, which you don't need. Fork legs from most of the XRs, late-80s to present will fit, which is good, because they're not too hard to bend.

If you have sumo aspirations, CBR wheels go on without too much hassle, apparently. You have to get spacers cut, but I've seen it done more than a couple of times, so it can't be too difficult.

Don't expect much out of the stock stator. If you want lights that are more than a dim glow at idle, you'll definitely need a battery.

Um... don't rev the engine excessively with the clutch held in. Should be a no-brainer, but there's an oiling issue they didn't fix 'til '00 or '01, and the clutch hub can weld itself to the output shaft. I'm the only person I know who ran into it on the air cooled motor (on an XR650L, but lots of early XR650Rs- with the same clutch in a different motor- had it happen), and it would have been really expensive to fix if I didn't work at a Honda shop at the time.

... of course, it was an XR, so I rode it home by starting it in gear and lugging it at stop lights.

What was the engine work? They're nearly unkillable in stock form, but a lot of people try to wring too much out of them. Be sure it's had carb work done, because they can cook themselves pretty good with the factory jetting. There are a few decent pipes out there for them, but every one I've seen runs the Supertrapp.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bad.. engine refreshed. I haven't seen it in person and don't know kms but it's from a shop and they're offering reistration on it so it can't be too high.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only issues are: big single and loads of commuting time = ?
Currently I'm doing about 100km a day and I don't wanna wreck the poor thing..

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Only issues are: big single and loads of commuting time = ?
Currently I'm doing about 100km a day and I don't wanna wreck the poor thing..

Being the XR600R has been one of the fastest bikes through the Baja 1000, I would highly suggest not even concerning yourself with putting long miles on the bike, commuting, touring, or anything else the engine will stand up to as long as it's running good.

An interesting conversation I had with a friend recently was about his DRZ400S, versus his CBR900RR as to what one was under more stress at sustained RPM on the highway. He was at first confused, and then extremely interested at the fact that the big four, and the little single, share nearly identical piston speeds! The thing that kills an engine is heat and lack of lubrication, as long as you are moving, the XR will run cool (for an air cooled engine anyway) and as long as you are not bumping into rev limiter or valve float there is really no reason to complain of reliability issues as a long haul touring bike.

A funny rule of thumb a friend with a XR650L came up with is this: "Anything a KLR650 can do, the XR600/650's can do going twice as fast, for twice as long.". :D

:thumbsup:

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome. Awesome awesome. Ok you've just sold it for me rat, I was keen on it before but now I have to have it hahaha. Fingers crossed some other person hasn't had the same idea.

Thanks a lot for the info guys.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heading down on Monday so the guy can have a proper look at the SV and we can talk deals.

Yes I'm trading both bikes...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts