Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this project back in last january. I picked this and 2000 zx6r (parts bike) for $500. The 95' had a ohio salvage title so i found a loophole to get myself a clean title in PA so i didnt have to buy new plastics and everything then still end up with a PA salvage title. I made a bit of money off the 00' zx6r which funded the 95'. Here it is now. Its going to be a very slow build since i have barely have any money. im planning on swapping the front and rear end from more recent kawis and ill be making a similar tail off of a 1974 yzr500

YZR500

·
junkfighter
131 Posts
That's quite a score on those forks!

So, what is the pa title loophole you found? I see a lot of salvage bikes I would like to pick up, but I have no interest in the paperwork nightmare involved .

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's quite a score on those forks!

So, what is the pa title loophole you found? I see a lot of salvage bikes I would like to pick up, but I have no interest in the paperwork nightmare involved .
thanks i saw those and they were too good to pass up even if they dont work out i can sell them for a lot more.

well its not a loophole in pa more so in vermont. In vermont you can register a vehicle without actually living there. Now if the vehicle is over 15 years old or is under 300cc's they wont issue a title, only a registration card. This registration card is proof of ownership and can be used in pa to get a title. I dont know if you are aware of the headaches of getting a rebuilt title in pa but they suck. What you have to do is go to the vermont dmv website print out the forms. make a bill of sale (doesnt have to be notarized), get a VIN check along with a letterhead from the police barracks saying that this officer is authorized to perform this check. Pay the fees (mine came out to $84 total) and mail it to vermont. You can call the DMV and actually get a real person (unlike in PA) to explain the steps of registering an out of state vehicle. Very very useful if that vintage bike you want has a lost title or you want to flip some bikes for some quick cash. Im not sure if this can work on totaled bikes being that someone else cant own the title (insurance company).

for a better explaination
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655441
http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=10002.90

Can anyone help me out with some measurements? i just need the width of the zx10r triple from center to center.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, just converted from coil to stick today (pics later), crossing my fingers that this works. bought a triple tree of a 07 zx10r for $100 shipped. should come in next week.

saved me about 1lb, haha

once i sell these zx7 forks i have i might get some brakes and clipons. but i really want this speedometer

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so the guy that sold me the triple tree fucked me over. he had it listed as $75+$25 triple tree set and only sent me the top triple tree and the shipping was $12. i was ok on the $100 for the set, it would have been cheap as shit. then a week later i find a complete triple tree off an 08 for $80 shipped, bought it and hopefully i can get the $80 back on the top triple.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well im not sure if the 08 triple will work with the 07 axle (2 completely different axles) so im keeping the top till i confirm the both are close in width which i think they are. once that happens i'll ask if i can return it. ill lose about $12 but ill be getting close to $80 back

i sell a lot of parts on forums and ebay and i never intentionally try to over charge people on shipping or mislead people, if i make a mistake i'll refund them the difference because i would want that to happen to me. so i get a bit pissed when this happens because most people cant be trust selling on forums because of these people. o well could have been worse.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
semi update, finally got my triple tree in, i thought the post office lost my package. what is shown is 07 zx10r forks, 08 zx10r triple tree, 05 cbr1000rr calipers, 07 zx10r SS lines. And i traded my upper triple for a 06 cbr1000rr master. So far the front end has cost me $294. honestly not bad, you see these set ups go for around $500+ on ebay.

as far as steering stems go i have a 00 zx6r stem left over and would be a perfect fit (same inner diameter as zx10r same outer as my zx6r for the bottom, same top bearing) minus fitting in the upper triple tree. hopefully using that instead of my stock stem. just from eyeballing, the J stem is 10.5 inches and the F stem is around 10.125-10.25, unsure how this will pan out

I found some good prices on some J engine parts so looks like im doing a 636 build as well. wasnt planing on doing this for a while but i couldnt pass up the price of this J engine head.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got the forks mocked up. thinking either a ducati headlight or a old chevy truck head light (9 3/4" diameter)? probably getting the old headlight since its cheaper. But some other good news is im boring my engine to a 636. total bill for that should be around $350 so all together i would have around $700 worth of stuff into this bike (bike is worth like $600 at best). Having some trouble with the stem swap if anyone can help here is the thread
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1214906#post1214906

scored a nice 01 zx6r head off ebay for $60, and a 00 airbox and carbs with a stage 1 jet kit for $125, boring is around $100. i need pistons, gaskets, cam chain, and a tensioner.

made more adjustments to the seat with some modeling clay, much better to work with than foam but way more expensive, hopefully fiberglassing over the weekend

i took some measurements of the J stem and realized that the stem is almost like an hour glass. 25mm up top then tapers to a smaller radius then it goes to a 35mm. i dont think it would work out cutting the J stem. so thank god i have like 4 triple trees available to take all these measurements, luckily i had a 1993-95 zx7 triple. stem is 10 1/16th in length. top diameter equal to the zx10r stem, but this makes it a good candidate since i only need to mill down a little over a half inch and reduce the radius of the top to 25mm. i could do use the 10r but its threaded inside the stem so if i were to reduce the radius of the 10r stem i could ruin it and waste money.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so you know what fuck me right? i buy $60 worth of bearings and an axle (ordered wrong bearings in the first place then just ordered 25x42x15 bearings today) to find out i dont need them. Im kinda pissed since this money could have went to clipons but you know im a fucking idiot. good news is i dont need any bearings or anything this shit is bolt on

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cut a slot in the bucket to make it fit better, seat is nearly there

Here is where im at now, got a lot of parts in for the engine build, only thing that is holding me back from the fork swap is swapping stems, spent too much money on engine parts cant afford to swap the stems, hopefully monday.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.