Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gents.

My ZX-9R has the engine out if it right now because it's being polished. Now, I've read many a post about these bikes having problems between 1-2 gear. How the shifter arm and gears wear out. Considering I have never actually ridden the bike, does anyone know if its worth it to dive into tearing the trans down to R&R while it's out, or just fook it and see what happens when the motor is back in?

Or even better if anyone knows if there's a way to inspect without having to tear it apart?

Bike has 69xxx kms. No idea about maintenance history either. Oil and plugs looked good when it was bought, that's all I know.

Thanks a lot guys!

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Well I guess it depends on what you're doing to the engine now. And do you really want to tear it down just to find that it's okay, or to put it back in the bike just to find out its not okay and then pull it back out and tear it down?

What's the history on the bike? Does it look like its been ridden super hard by careless PO's or does it look like some guy was just using it to ride around town? Just meeting and talking to the PO you got it from can tell a decent amount about the bike and the work done to said bike.

For instance, I bought a bike 2 weeks ago. It was in a screened in part of the house like a summer room. No tools in sight, no garage, and nothing that indicated that he or anyone else had previously worked on this bike. Talked to him about asked the general questions and then started getting into specifics, how do you know it's a head gasket issue blah blah blah. He couldn't give a good answer for anything

So the told me either A) I'm getting a great deal because he has no knowledge of motorcycles in general or B) I was getting a shit motorcycle because he didn't know shit about motorcycles.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Hello gents.

My ZX-9R has the engine out if it right now because it's being polished. Now, I've read many a post about these bikes having problems between 1-2 gear. How the shifter arm and gears wear out. Considering I have never actually ridden the bike, does anyone know if its worth it to dive into tearing the trans down to R&R while it's out, or just fook it and see what happens when the motor is back in?

Or even better if anyone knows if there's a way to inspect without having to tear it apart?

Bike has 69xxx kms. No idea about maintenance history either. Oil and plugs looked good when it was bought, that's all I know.

Thanks a lot guys!

If you have to tear into the bottom end already then I'd say go ahead and replace those components but if you're just getting the engine polishged and NOT tearing into anything then I say LEAVE IT ALONE! If it aint broke, don't fix it. Also there's non way really you're gonna be able to insect the internals of a transmission without opening it up. The only thing you can really do is bench test it to see if it shifts through the gears okay.Other than that I say just ride it and don't fuck with it unless you run into a problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Once you get it back together and running, do a full throttle pull through second gear. If it pops into neutral, the second gear is blown out. It's usually caused by long term hard powershifting into second, not using the clutch. Read: abusive, careless riding. The engagement dogs on the gear get rounded off and slip out under high loads, which is usually the reason behind "blown out" 2nd gears.

However there's really no way to check for this without getting into it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts