Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As promised everyone....The stripdown ready for the fighter build started yesterday evening. First started by stripping all the bodywork & lights etc off her to get a blank canvas for want of a better saying. The tail unit is staying 929 blade as i love the look of it, the subframe is being modifyed to accept a pair of round stainless steel scorpion race cans, and i am putting it back to standard gearing instead of the 48T rear sprocket currently on there so it cruises much nicer and i can attempt to get some traction.

And finally one of the many toys that makes these games possible.

Feeel free to share your comments chaps

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
The swingarm is 2002 rsv mille r, rear wheel is R6, front wheel, 17" fzr 600.
That bike is a real mixed CBR bag, eh? Did you average the age of the parts on it to get '96? The frame is certainly older than MY '96 (CBR900RRT). Do you have much provenance on it? I'd be slightly concerned it'd been in a crash.

In these pics I see, as well as what you've noted:

92-95 frame (central triangle shape) with matching year/type single bolt tank
00-01 rear plastics
96-97 or 98-99 918cc engine (3-bolt clutch cover) show me the hoses below the carbs and I'll tell you which MY
98-99 yokes (alloy, twin pinch bolts at bottom) therefore also longer axle
96-97 or 98-99 forks (silver bottoms) depending on if for 296 or 310 discs
98-99 clocks
92-97 calipers
92-95 front mudguard type and brackets

I also see a race 4-1 instead of 4-2-1 exhaust and a race shock, maybe WP.

I am excited about this build, will definitely be watching!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The frame is a genuine 1996 UK frame the last of the single bolt 893cc. All documents and numbers match and has never been in a crash etc as I have all history, HPI check and previous MOT's etc with it. The rear shock is rsv mille Showa, the tank, forks, yokes, foot pegs & hangers, front brakes and motor are all 98-99 919cc blade, the headers are Yoshimura full race jobbies as was the rest of the exhaust which is being replaced.
It is a very mixed bag and totally unique as such, however as a super sports/race bike I did not enjoy it on the road as much as the cagiva raptor 1000 I was riding previously hence why I am fightering it to make it more fun.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Front brakes on it are deffo not 98-99. They are the batwing calipers which are 92-97.

Just really worth noting in case eg you want to buy pads, seals or a dress up stainless bolt kit etc.

Got to note the difference between the year it was made an the model year it came off. Same as the frame it's deffo model year 92-95 even if the bike was a 96 reg.

Anywho, looking forward to updates!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With regards to buying pads etc we have them all in stock on the shelf so I never really paid that much attention to the year on them lol, but we did definately take the brakes off a 919cc bike not an 893. It would seem that some of the bikes we have broken for spares have been bitsa's too ;-)

·
364 Posts
RSC was it a big job fitting the r6 rear wheel on the arm
and if possilbe could you give me the info please.
i have a 05 rsvr arm on my blade with oz wheels
and ohlins frondend which i'm taking off it
and will be leaving the arm on so will fit another wheel on it.
rgds

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was a git of a job, we had to machine out the spindle slots in the swingarm by a few mm (I can't remember exactly how much) and also machine down and taper the locator blocks at each side of the spindle. we also had to make some new spacers for the wheel to get the alignment bob on. Bear in mind though that our swingarm is the curvy one of the earlier rsv not the later one like I think your 05 one is. If I could do it again now I would kill for a set of the oz wheels to go on it as they look stunning. However the r6 one is cheap as chips and looks great and is very light too.

·
364 Posts
It was a git of a job, we had to machine out the spindle slots in the swingarm by a few mm (I can't remember exactly how much) and also machine down and taper the locator blocks at each side of the spindle. we also had to make some new spacers for the wheel to get the alignment bob on. Bear in mind though that our swingarm is the curvy one of the earlier rsv not the later one like I think your 05 one is. If I could do it again now I would kill for a set of the oz wheels to go on it as they look stunning. However the r6 one is cheap as chips and looks great and is very light too.
thanks for the info mate.i think i'll have to leave the r6 wheel idea for the moment.
sounds like a good bit of work gone into it.
cheers

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There was a lot, most was trial and error to be fair and very time consuming as all the material was painstakingly removed by hand with a die grinder & files. It required careful measuring and a steady hand. But compared to porting heads it was a doddle ;-)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahhh yeah, i was looking at it earlier on a piddly little iphone screen.
I have made more progress tonight....

Made a start cutting the subframe to be able to route a mockup of the new exhaust pipework and had a little bit of practice pie cutting exhaust tube and tig welding it up. Now for the first time i have autonomously welded anything i dont think it has come out too badly at all. Its dirty mild steel so the nice shiney ultra clean stainless steel should be much nicer.
And ive also added some pics we had done last year of a few of our other toys including my Dresda Honda CR750 racer and my dads Spondon Yamaha TZ750 racer :rock:

Enjoy

The above pic shows the clearance i am working with routing the exhaust up through the swingarm and past the top of the shock reservoir. I think some heat wrap may well be required!

My blade in its previous guise as a track bike complete with aprilia RS250 swingarm fitted to a 98-99 frame...now that took some fabricating!!

My dresda along with a small selection of the trophies my dad won riding it in the 1970's!!!

THE BIG TZ.......Spondon frame, swingarm, forks & gold plated anti-dive kit...oh and a full bespoke set of genuine Don Vesco race expansion chambers!........nuff said! All built from a VERY sorry looking box of bits.

·
Registered
63 Posts
How do could you let me know what your doing with the lower fairings? I am after some for a project on my sv. Unless you have some K3-K5 gixxer lowers

Cheers!

Bike is looking mint btw

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ill have a look through the bodywork bits over the next few days and let you know what we have git. I don't think we have got any gsxr lowers. I do have some Fireblade 1000rr lowers if they're any good to ya. I need to find some lowers to butcher for mine but too much on at the mo to think bout that yet ;-)

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.