Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a completely naked 1996 suzuki rf600 and im trying to figure out if a tail from a different bike would go on it. If anyone has any suggestions im open to them. This bike is extremely hard to find fairings for and besides that i dont even want to put fairings back on it. Im wanting to put a diff subframe and tail section on it but not sure of what tail to go with and not really even sure of how to perform the surgery. If anyone knows about rf600s lemme know. :confused:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heres what ive got to work with.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
WELCOME TO THE SITE DRUNKNUN

I LOVE A DRUNK NUN!!!

looks like quite a project to work on. a better profile, side shot would help...but it looks like i would chop that subframe in half.

other option would be....cutting your 'subframe' off and welding one from a newer bike on there in place. . . then you could put the seat unit off wutever bike you want.

:metal:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha...thanks. Yes quite a project it will be. I have to get it running first but all that requires is me rebuilding the carbs which wont be so hard thanks to being mechanically inclined...but fabrication inclined on the other hand....i got left out in that one. Ill be getting the bike this thursday. A guy i work with took it to a suzuki dealership to get the carbs fixed and said it would be 498 total so he said he didnt want to do it and they told him hed have to pay 82 bucks to get it out of the shop...that was probably the charge for them to look at it and see what needed to be done. He told me he was giving up on it and i could go up there and pay to get it out and he would give me the title so i was like alright awesome...my first bike for 80 bucks is cool with me. One thing that leaves me clueless is where the heck do all the wires and random things like the metal thing u see beside the frame with a hose coming out of it dissappear to when people build fighters?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if only i had the money the people that made those bikes have. And wow that bike u posted picture of has GOT to be uncomfortable. I looked at the link with more examples and on the 5th bike in those pictures under streetfighters....could u tell me what that guy did with his radiator? And one think i would really like to know is if the people custom made those belly pans or if they are available somewhere that i cant find.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
The Black one you mentioned was built by a company in Germany

http://www.megatec-fighter.de/

The reason there's no Rad, is because they swaped it out for an oil cooled engine. I belive they stuck the oil cooler up under the tank too.

There is a shop up in Wisconson that imports a lot of the German bodywork.
http://www.angryguystreetfighters.com

Also check out some of the sites sponsors.
Wild hair and Streetfighters Inc. carry a lot of nice parts from over the pond too.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright man. Thanks for the links...althought i can't read the german one. :confused: Ive got some questions about putting a diff subframe and tail on my bike. When i get the bike ill take pictures of it so i can maybe be better helped. Im wondering where i would cut the subframe off at or however it comes off and would only certain other subframes go on the bike? Ive been looking at subframes and some of them seem kind of thin and look like they wouldnt fit to my bike. I probably have no idea what im talking about and honestly i really dont im just going by what i see. So any help would be awesome.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
The subframe has four bolts that hold it on. You take the bolts out and get all the wiring and shit out of the subframe and remove it.

Some subframes are going to be harder to fit than others.. basically the idea is to figure out what tail you want, get a subframe that it will bolt to, and modify that subframe (or make adaptor brackets) that will mate it to your frame.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol....well alright then. Easier to get off than i thought. So basically i can put any subframe on it but fabbing might have to be done on some more than others? Got that question outta the way now. Thanks, haelo.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Some of them are going to be too wide and they're going to look freakish. Some are going to be so narrow your brackets are going to be huge and unstable.

Before commiting to buying any subframe get measurements and compare it to your frame.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Well, On the RF the stock subframe is going to have to be cut off. Considering the frame is steel and the width of the bike, I would forst decide on a couple different choices and ideas of what you want to do. Take a lot of measurments and decide what you think will work best. You may be best off making your own. If you have the ability to weld or have someone that can you can make a new one to take the originals place or at least modify the stocker. Lastly, there's the option of making brackets and fiting one from another bike. Witch isn't terribly difficult, but can be involved.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Making a custom one and leaving it bare is also a good option.. that's sort of what I'm doing.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the ability to weld...just not the things needed to weld with. But on the other hand i wouldnt know the first thing on how to make a subframe so im wanting to go with using a subframe and tail from another bike. Now i just need to find out which tail i want. If i look up the specs on a bike it wouldnt tell me the measurements of the subframe would it?..i dont think it will. Once get some options of which tail i want i guess ill go around to some dealerships and find the bikes and check the subframes...lol.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Or yea i guess i could do that. But im just the type person to sometime feel like i might be bothering someone to ask them to do something like that. Guess i just have to get used to being in a forum with people that are actually nice and like to help people out.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Heres pics of it. Ive got the front end taken off and im rebuiding it right now. A friend of mine that does NHRA drag racing is rebuilding the carbs and putting a jet kit in it for me. I just look at it and think of everything ive got in store for it.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
drunkNun said:
I just look at it and think of everything ive got in store for it.

man i hope so! its gonna need everything from the looks of it!!

:rock:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts