Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I happened to come across a great deal ($1000; runs and everything) for this motorcycle, and this forum seems to have a few knowledgeable members who happen to own one.

The guy recently emailed me saying the chain came off and the "tensioner bolt" broke. I've always worked on cars, so some motorcycle mechanics and terms are new to me. What part is he exactly referring to? He said just the bolt, which he claimed is a $5 fix. Is it really that easy? Is there anything else which may be affected by this breaking? Thank you in advance!

P.S. I included a picture he sent of the part which broke.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
He has very likely stripped the thread of the bolt, and the alloy part it goes into as well. Probably by trying to adjust the chain without first loosening the spindle bolt/nut.

Still, it's not going to cost you much in used parts from eBay, but more than $4.

Even though you're in the US, don't be tempted to kludge it with imperial fixings.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
I may be too late but be wary of where that chain went when it came loose, check the engine everywhere for putty/j.b. weld and oil leaks...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thoroughly checked it when I met up with the owner. He had the carbs redbuilt, new clutch plates, full service, etc. and recipts for them all. I just received the new adjusters today, but I am still waiting for my chain. And I am very upset because it has not even been shipped yet, and I ordered it a week ago!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts