Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, basically, I have very little experience with working on bikes (Read, none) However, with the awful condition I picked my bike up in, I'm catching on fairly quickly I'd like to think. So, here is my problem, fork/triple is bent on my bike, the shop couldn't tell me which it was. Is there an easy way to check aside from ripping apart the front end? Now, if it is in fact the triple, I'll probably only end up replacing that. But if it's a fork leg, I'll be getting new legs and a new triple.

Here's where I'd like for it to get interesting. Provided I'm not going to end up lighting my bike on fire in a rage, I want to do a fork swap, get something a bit cooler than the standard R6 forks. The advice I need for this, are there direct swaps? Could I drop a CBR or Ninja fork on there and call it a day? Would I need to get matching calipers for whatever fork I end up getting? I am leaning heavily towards a completely different fork rather than just another 99-01 R6 replacement, this is Custom Fighters, after all right?

Yes, I did read the stickies, but got lost very quickly as my knowledge of terminology is very limited. So, please keep that in mind when replying and try to use as simple language as possible.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you're looking for inverted forks, where the chrome inner tube is on the bottom like all modern super sports, then you can likely bolt on R6 trees and forks from an '05 R6 or newer. '05 was the first year Yamaha went from conventional forks, like yours, to inverted forks on the R6. On some model bikes the steering stem inside the neck of the bike is the same dimensions as the stem in another bike of the same make. Like a 2004 R6 can bolt on 2005 R6 forks even though the forks and trees are different, but the stem is the same. Make sense?

Now if you find a deal on a front end and you know the stems aren't the same, then get on www.allballsracing.com and click on the "front end conversions". Allballsracing makes special bearings that will allow one front end to be installed on another frame, and the kit will cost you from $30-80 I'd say, so pretty damn cheap. It just depends on the model and bearings needed.

If I were you I'd invest in a triple tree stand. This will let you take the forks out of the trees. OR you can use a floor jack and a 2x4 under your headers and lift the front end that way. I'm that case it's best to have the rear end up on a stand for stability. Pull the forks out and roll them on a known flat surface. If there's any deflection at all, then it's bent. The trees can be checked in a similar manner. Set the lower triple tree on a known flat surface. If it will wobble at all when you push down on one side or the other, then it's bent. Sometimes if the crash is bad enough, like the one I had almost two years ago, the forks AND trees will bend. I lucked out and my steering stem stayed true, so I had my stem pressed out of my tree and pressed into a straight one (the front end I use is from a different Kawi than stock). That's the other method of front end swaps. Have your stem pressed into another model forks (it takes a hydraulic press to push one out and back into another tree---not a job you can do in an average garage). The catch is that the base of your stem needs to be the same size. Manufacturers tend to keep that measurement the same. So Kawi to Kawi, Honda to Honda, and so forth. You just need to know a guy at a shop with a press.

I hope that helped some.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts