Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ever since I got into riding bikes I had thoughts about eventually converting to a fighter... well I low-sided my bike in the fall so I guess you could say the time is right!

First step was the teardown of the useless broken crap

At this point I discovered that I also managed to bend one of my fork legs so the quest was on to find 5pw forks from the R1 to tackle this swap while I was rebuilding. I ended up paying a whopping $180 for all of this including forks!

Let the fun begin!

I ended up snagging the upper triple off a 2007 R1 off of ebay and got a deal on convertibars I couldn't pass up.

I am certainly not done as a lot of where I am at is temporary but here are some pictures of my progress.

I have relocated the ignition down by my left leg although I believe it is elsewhere in the images. A bracket still needs to be fabricated for this. Right now the gigantic stock gauges are still on the bike, but USPS is bringing me R1 gauges as we speak. Itching to get back on the street I also mounted the stock lights but I have an MT03 headlight coming from the UK. I'm very excited to move forward with this and I'm open to any suggestions!

·
Blood,Sweat N Beers
897 Posts
a suggestion it would proportion the front with a belly pan. not to big to over power the rest of the bike but, something there to give contrast to the lower half of the bike an the tarmac .02

·
Blood,Sweat N Beers
897 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok great thanks man.

On a different note I need some help. I did the r1 gauge conversion with a 2001 RN04 R1 gauge and I'm having issues. Followed a writeup on the FZ10A forum but it was for the RN01 dash for the 98-99. Does anyone know if the pinout changed other than the fan control?

My fan is on constantly, oil light is on, temp doesn't rise above low, and turn signals stopped working. I can't find any loose connections so I'm wondering if anyone has any idea as to what is causing these issues?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also turn signals could be an unrelated coincidence. They won't work even with no gauge hooked up. Are they dependent on the dash?

Also they're LED if that matters...

Edit: Turn Signal issue has solved. put the front incandescent signals back on to add some resistance to the circuit and we're back in business.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i have discovered that the gauge I received was a different year than the ad said on ebay. Guess that explains the issues with the fan control....

Anyway back on with the ugly stock gauges until I can get another set of gauges

On a different note how do you guys think a a rear wheel hugger would look? I have a matching one lying around from a 2002 R1...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I've made some progress. Finally got my mt03 headlight and I mounted it up with some pipe brackets from home depot. I also welded up a box/bracket thing to hold my ignition barrel and a 12v outlet so I can run my gps.

Now I just gotta get rid of those damn gauges again and clean up the wiring.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Macey's 2003 Fz1

More progress everybody!!!

Very happy to say I can ride safe now as I got a new tire up front. I went with a Michelin pilot power 3 and I'm liking the sticky front tire a whole lot better than my old bald tire! Also finally picked up a front hugger from an 05 R1.

Also ditched the ugly stock directionals and picked up some LED directionals. Of course I ended up with issues from having LEDs all around so I had to add resistors in the tail. I went with 8 ohm 20 watt resistors.

I also made some custom brackets for the MT-03 headlight. Not perfect but it gave me an excuse to give welding a go. Finally i cleaned up the wiring in the front and now the ugly loom is not visible on the side any more.

Anyways here's a bunch of pics.

I lowered the bars a little after this pic and I think it looks a little more aggressive. Better feel riding as well.

·
150lbs sexy 30lbs squishy
683 Posts
Right now the regulator is back under the seat but I'm brainstorming new ideas. It fits well but there's not enough air flow for my liking
if you find i better location that keeps it out of the elements let me know (my biggest concern atm is where to put that bloody thing):doh:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts