Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all....I wrecked my TL1000S (front end) and i want to build a streetfighter out of it since i live in Panama and it's extremely dificult and expensive to get the replacement parts.
So far i've been looking at acerbiz headlights and renthal bars with tag metals mounts since i'm thinking of drilling my top clamp. If i go with this set up, would i need to change cables and hoses to longer ones?
I also need a radiator and can't find one so far.
I also have a 1st generation FZR1000 for parts and using the round double headlight has cross my mind...what do you think??
Any ideas or advice will be welcomed.
TKS

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
fp23..as far as your TL and running the dirtbar setup. yes you will need longer cables. some bikes you can re-route the cables so they fit (such as my 929 i ran the clutch cable up under the airbox and it gave me enough length.
i just ordered a set for my friend who needed +4" throttle cables and +5" clutch cable. (i mean +4 and +5 to your stock length). You'll also need longer brake lines, so you may as well get stainless steel lines. 3 12" lines worked for my bike.
you'll want to mount up your bars and take some measurements from the stock cables to get exact lengths. Im just giving you examples. .

and the FZR...i think the headlight idea is a good one, if you can hide the housing and mounting points. We have an older fzr at my work, and ive thought of using that double headlight setup on my bike, but the housing was broken so i didnt. I think it would look pretty good tho. those are good size dual rounds.

welcome to the site. keep wutever questions you have coming, we are more than happy to help!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tks Adam....now that you mention it i recall reading your post about the cables for your friend.
Since i allraedy have the FZR's dual i'll try to set a mount for them and see how they look, if i dont like them i'll go back to the acerbiz idea.
Do you have bars or clip ons? If you have bars can you post a picture of your set up for reference as to how they should look when finish?
TKS

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
I measure how long cables need to be with string. Put one end of string where the cable will start and run it to where it will end, leaving a fair amount of slack. Fairly accurate.

Keep in mind that your cables will need slack when you turn the bars.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
haelo said:
I measure how long cables need to be with string. Put one end of string where the cable will start and run it to where it will end, leaving a fair amount of slack. Fairly accurate.

Keep in mind that your cables will need slack when you turn the bars.

yes. that is a good way to do it. thats what we're doing to measure length for a handbrake setup. and yes make sure you turn the bars to stop both directions, so you know the cables wont pull tight before you reach the stops.

thx for adding that haelo.

if you want pics...just search for the thread about dirtbike bars, or drilling tripples. spyder posted some good pics of his setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts