Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Dr. Evil
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here it goes. I have a 2000 F4 that I am starting a build. And seeing as this is my first build and I will likely have some questions, I hope that you guys have some ideas for me. I have done very little to the bike at the moment and don't have a ton of time to spend at the moment, or money, but I do have access to a lot of equipment to do most the work myself.
I posted a few pictures in another forum, but there are some updated ones I took last night so here they are.

The bike as she sat when I got it.

So here she is now after I laid her down and stripped her naked. Oh yeah

Here are my thoughts about where I want to go with this. I don't have anything in stone, so any thoughts are appreciated.
So here is my current thought at of the moment for the bike. Front end put two 5 3/4" round side by side headlights. I am thinking of powdercoating the forks black to match the frame and swing arm. I might at some point put an RR arm on, but I don't know. Leave the current clip on bars on. at some point get a small digi instrument cluster. no wind shield, not sure exactly what for a front fender, but something small. probably bend the pipe so I get somewhat more of a vertical angle with the exhaust. I am thinking about leaving the heat wrap from headers to muffler. Swapping foot pegs for something more aggressive. I want the frame, swing arm, forks, parts of the engine and exhaust system all matt black. I still don't know what tail I want to go with but something that isn't very fat, kinda like the RR or the 1098. I have seen someone put a pocket bike tail on his cbr and it looked cool.

:honda::f4:

·
Dr. Evil
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I am getting ready to start painting stuff. I was going to powder coat some things, but I think I will use paint instead. I am thinking flat black for the frame, swing arm and various engine parts.
My question is this. Should I dismount the engine from the frame and take everything off, or can I get good coverage and make it look good leaving most the engine and parts attatched?
My second question is what type of paint to go with. I plan on using a high heat ceramic paint for engine parts, but would that even be nescessary for the frame? I know it gets warm, but would regular metal paint do the trick?
I want this to look good, so what do you guys think?:confused:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,575 Posts
i thought paint was the last part of a project :confused:

·
Dr. Evil
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fair enough, so your saying do a mock up, tear down and then paint, re-put together? sounds reasonable, but I would still like an opinion about the paint selection choice. guess I will have to start ordering some parts of my list then.

·
WTF is a motorcycle?
3,003 Posts
fair enough, so your saying do a mock up, tear down and then paint, re-put together? sounds reasonable, but I would still like an opinion about the paint selection choice. guess I will have to start ordering some parts of my list then.
I like the paint selection, too much like mine but I like it.
Exactly right, if you keep doing the on off on off thing after you paint it, it will all go to hell.
Beware that you may have to rejet the carbs, I'd recommend modifying the ram air tubes, it'll be a bit finicky at high RPMs without ram air.

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
you got the right ideas mostly. whatever floats your boat. what its all about

·
Dr. Evil
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I got a chance to work a bit more on the bike. It looks like this is going to be a very slow project, but I am in no hurry and would like to do it right the first time.
As of now, I have most everything stripped off the bike. However, I think I am going to take the forks off next, and cut that stupid bracket on the front of them off. I am not using the oem fender, so it has to go. I figure I might as well clean up the casting marks while I am at it.
while I am thinking about it, does anyone know a good deal on braided brake lines for the front? I am thinking about going that rout.
the second goal is to fab up a new subframe. I am going to make it shorter than the oem frame and make it out of round tubing I think. I will probably glass my own tail, but I will cross that bridge later.
I also need to figure out what to do with all that wire and shit all over the place. It looks as though there is about twice the length needed and I don't know what to do with all of it.
Enough rambling. Here are the pics I took today

and here is one of how jacked up the subframe is.

supposed to be straight. :wtf:

So what do you think so far. anything I am missing or should consider?
:knucks:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,575 Posts
sounds like you're on the right track.

those wires all need to go bye bye. proper way is to shorten the loom....cut the un-needed wire out!

subframe, yes, do that.

forks. sure, if it'll look better and you dont need it..cut it!

keep us posted. you're doing fine!

·
Dr. Evil
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I am getting to the point I think I am about to drop out the motor. I have pretty much disconnected everything, but it seems my swing arm runs through the motor as well as the frame and I don't have the tools to undo that just yet. I am getting to the point where I need to start ordering a few parts so I can mock up everything. My biggest problem is the headlight. I am torn between a 7" single and a 5" double. I really like both but don't know which way to go. any thoughts would help, sooner I make my mind up I can order shit and get them put on.
Also, I chopped up my fender some. Not going to use it on the bike, but just trying to get an idea if it is about the right size. What do you guys think? bout right, too big, small?
lastly, there are a couple of spots on the frame, one is just a hole, not sure why its there. the other is a thread from where the fairings used to attach. I am thinking of JB welding those spots and grinding them smooth so when I paint the frame you shouldn't be able to tell they were ever there. Should that work? I was also thinking of doing the same thing to the alternator cap.
Thoughts are greatly appreciated. I might be just slightly beyond my knowledge and experience. Just want to make sure I am doing things right and not making it worse.
anyhow, a couple of pictures of some slow progress.

:shockerknucks:

·
Dr. Evil
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
more work. Have the motor dropped out and everything off the frame. I am thinking of using my old subframe and just chopping it up and reusing the metal instead of starting completely from scratch. that's what the wood was for, trying to get an idea of how I want the frame to look, not shown in the pictures posted though.
Next I need to order parts. Not sure about which headlight to go with, the 7" single or the double 5" ones. I am leaning towards the double, but since I probably won't get any thoughts I might just throw darts. Mock up the frame, and then do the tail. then it is off to paint.

:honda:

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
5 inch double is what you should go for. I'm thinking a Zr0 style bobber subby will look good with that ensemble. Nice hugger over the rear, low black fatbars, shorty levers, Acewell style gauges slapped across the bar mounts, funky front mudguard, and Robert's your father's brother. Yeah, I think that'll look good.

Prove me wrong.

·
Dr. Evil
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So tonight I pulled the clutch case and the alternator covers off and shot them both with glass beads. the finish came out really nice. the alternator cover got all scratched up, so I needed to clean it up so I can get it all smooth again so I just did both.
The bad part is that I didn't quite get them all sealed up when I shot them and now have glass beads inside the covers. oops. not quite sure how I am going to get them clean, but I will deal with that tomorrow.
Other problem is I think there is a slight leak between the block and the header. I see some oil slime but only on the left side. I think I will probably just replace the gasket. might as well just do it all and do it right while I have it all ripped out at the moment.
I don't have pics yet, my battery died on my camera. I will post them up tomorrow along with the rest of the progress.
I was thinking of painting the motor a dark grey to off set it slightly. what do you all think? I was debating black, but there are a ton of all black and I don't think I have seen any grey motors. I don't know, thoughts?
:knucks:

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
I'm liking the clean bob, nice rear hugger, lower bars idea that Pariah threw out there. It all seems to fit the bike. And I love the tank/frame setup, just looks muscular. Do it.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Hey island asshole, don't give him any ideas, I'm trying to be different :D
I will find the beast who steals my ideas, I WILL FIND YOU! Sleep peacefully now, for it is the last peaceful sleep you will know FROM THIS MOMENT ON!!!

·
Dr. Evil
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will find the beast who steals my ideas, I WILL FIND YOU! Sleep peacefully now, for it is the last peaceful sleep you will know FROM THIS MOMENT ON!!!
that's right cat. It's not stealing if he gave the ideas, but he didn't give it to you. so don't be a thief.
I don't know about the bobber. I think they can look really clean/nice, but its just not really my style. I think I might have found an RR tail I will try to throw on there if I end up getting it.
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I appreciate it. Keep em coming.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts