Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been working on a 2000 SV650 for the last month or so I got at the end of last year. I'm a 260lb tall guy so I knew some modifications to the seating position were in order. Unfortunately someone whacked a big dent in the top of the tank and busted the tail up a little bit. Somone already stuck a Kawasaki zx rear shock in it and evidently some kind of weird valve emulators in the forks. I'll have to take a picture later, never seen them before.

First thing I did was replace the brakes. The stockers felt really wooden/crappy. I'm not sure if this is just how SV's are, or something was wrong with them. I got a "Brembo" master from a R1 and a set of early 2000's GSXR calipers. I used some adapters and brake lines from SV Racing Parts.

Then it was on to the forks. I got some RaceTech gold valves, (I think) 1kg/mm springs, and new fork seals since they were leaking a little bit. Someone once told me you shouldn't hang your brakes like this... woops.

From there I decided to ditch the seat (which evidently I didn't take any pictures of the bike before I started messing with it).

After I finish welded it up, I painted it.

New brake res.

How it basically turned out. I used a lot of the original subframe and brackets to make it. I was going to use a smaller tail light, but I found a way to use the stock one and thought why not.

Now I have to figure out the exhaust. I plan on using the D&D can and pipes, but I think the exhaust looks too droopy, and I need top figure out how to hang it with a subframe that is much higher. It's not horrible, but it seems like it'd be weird to have a tube or something go a foot down to the can.

Playing around with photoshop to shorten the can and kick it up slightly

IDK if I should also go higher. What do you guys think? This bike is one of my tamer projects, but it's such a great bike to ride I had to put my spin on it.

Oh and I do have a cowl for the seat, and I have a tank thats in nice condition with a couple small dents I need to fix. I'm probably going to keep it this way until I can paint the new tank, cowl and front fender.

·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is one of the valve emulators(?) that were in my forks when I rebuilt them. It had stock springs, not sure how much good these did as I was way too heavy for the springs anyway and the bike dove pretty bad when braking.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
This is one of the valve emulators(?) that were in my forks when I rebuilt them. It had stock springs, not sure how much good these did as I was way too heavy for the springs anyway and the bike dove pretty bad when braking.

Looks like "ricor intiminator"....

No idea if they are good in sv650's or not :)

·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
very effective, rider preference, weight, bike weight.. all pays a factor
I did some reading on them, it sounds like they work well mostly for stock spring rate bikes. I suppose I can try to sell them (if anyone on here wants them).

What do you guys think about me making a bracket off the right heel guard to hang the muffler? I've got some scrap aluminum and I've been dying to try out my new tig machine on AC.

Like this:

·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I'm finally finishing up my SV.

Shortened the muffler. I went over the clearcoat with some polishing compound which removed a lot of the yellowing. Not 100%, but better.

I also chopped/cut and rewelded the pipe to angle up more. The hole on the exhaust hanger clamp was too big for the size bolts I wanted to use, so I welded it closed and redrilled it. I also cut it off and welded it to be inline with the rearset guard.

Other than that the bracket was a short piece of steel I cut and drilled on both ends. It seems to put enough pressure on the muffler to keep it from moving. I know the heel guard isn't all that strong so I'll see how this holds up. If I have to I'll make a new one out of some 6061.

I have some LED plate bolts that Im going to install so the plate is lit up at night. I also have a Monster seat cowl I'm going to paint when I paint the tank and front fender.

And here she is outside in better light.

You can see how jacked up the tank was when I got it. Thankfully I found another one on the cheap, but it has a small dent I want to fix and repaint before I put gas in it.

·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are those the stock risers? They look fantastic.
Honestly I always assumed they were stock, but I can't find a picture of them anywhere on another bike that look exactly like these so I don't know. They don't have any branding on them so I still assume so.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
They look like aftermarket Harley (gasp) Davidson risers. Most likely machined to accept 7/8" handle bars. Or could be from an aftermarket Triumph catalog with no machining necessary. Just a guess.

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
I don't *think* 2nd gens were cast in either, I just haven't had a factory one.

I agree that the risers aren't stock.

Reactions: MDM

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Trying to says this... Bikes sold in the UK & Europe will differ slightly from the same models we get in the USA. Example - USA Ducati's have those hideous bicycle reflectors on the fork legs... ya don't see them on Ducati models sold in the UK & Europe.

Reactions: MDM

·
Wanna be racer
2,000 Posts
Trying to says this... Bikes sold in the UK & Europe will differ slightly from the same models we get in the USA. Example - USA Ducati's have those hideous bicycle reflectors on the fork legs... ya don't see them on Ducati models sold in the UK & Europe.
Oh believe me you do, it's just that they usually get taken off as soon as possible here

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
I don't *think* 2nd gens were cast in either, I just haven't had a factory one.

I agree that the risers aren't stock.
2nd gen nakeds come with separate risers and top triple that bolt together with cushioning rubbers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts