Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:skull: So it begins... :skull:​

My wretched whore of a bike has fucked me over for too long now and there's hell to pay for such transgressions...​

The time has come, my dear friends, to show the bitch who's boss... and I need your help to do it.​

Let's get things started with a little introduction. I'm a 19 year old second year business admin student who had never altered anything with an internal combustion engine prior to violently ripping the fairings off of this bike. I am doing things as I learn them and so far it has worked relatively well. (i.e. nothing is on fire yet :)) But enough about me; let's get to the accused, shall we?

This here is a 2000 Triumph TT600 in the "Tornado Red" colour scheme.

Seems harmless, doesn't she? Well at some point she may have been, but it looks like somebody has abused her to the point of psychosis. When I picked her from Coleman Powersports in Woodbridge, VA earlier this month she was a dream bike. I'd never been on anything above a 250cc prior to purchasing her, I was desperate to get on a decently fast pair of wheels while riding season was still around, and I was naive/inexperienced enough to believe everything the salesman told me at the time of purchase. I was told that despite the scratches, cracks, and other superficial blemishes the bike worked fine and everything was sound mechanically. At $2500, I thought she was a steal too! Well, let's just say she was worth every penny. There's a mean coolant leak that likes to kick in once the engine gets to around ~180F, there's the fact that the radiator fan is constantly on once it hits ~195F, there's gunk all over the bits closest to the ground (not too sure that I can fault anyone on this... let me know if I'm overreacting), the throttle has a mind of its own, the engine stalls if given any throttle when below 140F and bogs down no matter what the temp looks like, and the transmission never quite knows whether it's in 3rd or 4th at any given moment. I thought the shop would take care of these issues considering the fact that I had just bought the bike. Turns out that their policy is they will fix any issues with used bikes older than 10 years, but they want to split the costs with the customer. Infuriated, I gave the manager an earful before coming to my senses and deciding I don't even want to bother with them. A friend of mine's dad owns the local Triumph dealership, so I popped by to have him take a quick look at it. He wasn't there so I spoke with the service guy there. Everything looked to be ok by his standards other than the coolant leak. The issue with that was he wanted $96 an hour to fix it when it looked like it could be done fairly quickly on my own. I talked with my friend over the phone and he recommended I look online for a forum where I could get some help fixing the bike. I saw twr3cks' TT build on here and was instantly inspired to fighter my bike. It was the perfect solution: the fairings were all scratched and cracked to shit, it would expose the coolant leak, it would alleviate the issues with the mirrors being awful... So here we are now. As it stands I have done this to her.

This has uncovered some unsettling discoveries.

Some gunk I found near the left rearset

Results of coolant leak​

My basic mission here is to get the bike working above all else. The coolant leak is my biggest issue right now. I will be looking a bit further into it later on once I get a chance. As far as the fightering goes, I have a few ideas in mind. Right now I want to stay more old school. I'm thinking one or two bugeyes up front, a black coat of paint over the engine and frame, and that's about it right now. I want to keep this a bit low key for now as I still need some experience before I can venture into the more "creative" stuff. Like I mentioned earlier, my experience is next to zero and I am learning as I go. Any and all help and input is appreciated here. I would love to go for a modern look in the future, but that would require more money and experience than I've got on hand at the moment. Still, I think simple can look good and what better way to gain experience than by doing some work, eh? I'll keep posting as I do things to the bike and hopefully something will come out of this mess.

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,966 Posts
simple can look good
My opinion is... simple usually looks better than complicated :p

I've got a 98 T595, most of my bike specific tech help comes from reading a bunch on triumphrat
Heres the section for your bike http://www.triumphrat.net/triumph-supersports/

TT600 is a great bike. Surprising competitor in the 600 class for the years they were made.

·
Administrator
5,264 Posts
Great start to a thread! :D

The "Gunk" is pretty normal, just accumulated splatter from the chain. Looking forward to seeing what the bogging issue is, a peak at your spark plugs could help to diagnose it.

-Subbed!

·
breaking stuff since 1978
1,530 Posts
do you not have a consumer guaranties act type thing in the US. or a cooling of period?

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Painting a frame and engine while assembled is a nightmare and usually ends up looking like shit, I'm not saying it can't be done.
My suggestions:
1 Clean and degrease
2 address leaks
3 safety service (tires brakes suspension)
4 Modify everything you want
5 Paint last, (otherwise you'll screw up your paint and change your mind 10x)
If you get stuck, take pictures and post up. This may look like a big thing, but it may be very easy to do, now go degrease everything and find your leaks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey all. So I've taken my bike out for a couple of rides without the side fairings and it looks like I may have a bigger issue on my hands. It looks like that picture I took of the alternator cover may actually be showing an oil leak. How have I come to this conclusion? Well, I took my bike to work today and, like always, my left boot got a shower of liquid. This time, though, my coolant levels seemed to be just fine. I decided to wipe some of the liquid on my boot off with a sticky note and this is what it looked like.

Now it could just be the dirt on my boot, but the thing I've found is that the liquid is coming from that bit on the top of the cover where the wire comes out. I don't know much about alternators or how they operate, but some looking online has told me that alternators operate wet in some cases. Doesn't make much sense to me, but I'll let you guys decide that. Anyway, my plan now is to tighten those bolts up to the specified torque levels in the service manual (when I get a torque wrench, that is) and see what that does. I have a strange feeling that that's not going to work...

·
Is my bike ok?
15,046 Posts
Wet charging systems are completely normal. Not all bikes are this way, and I'm not sure about your particular model, but most do.

Checking for loose fasteners is the best starting point. There is likely some sort of molded rubber grommet where your charging wires exit your cover. That may be the source or the leak, or just the gasket itself.

Important note! Don't use silicone on your bike. Others may disagree ,but I stand firm on this. Silicone, RTV or whatever you want to call it, is famous for breaking down and releasing small bits of itself in to your bike. Bikes have tiny oiling passages compared to autos and generally don't tolerate this very well. If you find yourself unable to get a replacement gasket/seal don't be tempted to use silicone. Please. Spend the extra few bucks, go by a bike shop and pick up a tube of Threebond. You'll be much happier in the end.

Good luck and hope this helps. :)

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I decided to wipe some of the liquid on my boot off with a sticky note and this is what it looked like.

It looks like a donkey to me...

:) :fu:

And "shinyribs" is right, there is oil in there, and it looks like your suspicion is also right. The leak is coming from the rubber grommet where the wires come out. It's easy to get the installation of that rubber piece wrong when placing that cover one. I'd suggest buying a new stator gasket and rubber piece (if you can) and replacing both. The wiring connector will have to be taken apart to get the rubber grommet on there, but your's does look a little mangled.

Can you take a closer pic of the rubber where the wires come out?

We can certainly walk you through the gasket and wiring connector thing, no big deal there...

EDIT: Yamabond is the shit! Sticky as fuck but good for that stuff like what shiny was sayin..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oooooookay so this might end up being a problem...

If you look at the stator you'll see that the seal on the wire is an actual part of the stator itself... Don't get me wrong, I love buying $458.64 rubber seals as much as the next guy, but my funds and common sense (or at least what's left of it) simply won't allow that. I think the Threebond idea will probably prevail here. I took my bike out on my lunch break and it's fairly obvious that the seal is the source of the leak. There is literally nowhere else it is or could be coming out of. I'd upload pics but it's pitch black out and my phone is dead. Oh well, time to freeze my ass off going home. I'll keep you all posted as I do things. Hopefully nothing gets too broken.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Welcome, i'm sure that triumph is gonna treat you well. Don't get discouraged, just take it step by step.

shameless plug: If you end up needing a radiator for the bike, I have one sitting here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay so it's been a rough few days. Tuesday I had a crack at taking the cover off. My dumb ass forgot to put a drain pan underneath and spilled oil all over my garage floor. There was also a radiator hose in the way of the cover and it refused to come off. Brilliant. What's worse is the discovery I made. It turns out the oil in my bike hasn't been changed in a pretty long time from what it looks like. The stuff that came out of my bike was pitch black and a few degrees away from being molasses. Also brilliant. So I went ahead and tried changing my oil. Looks like I expected too much out of my oil filter cause it broke my socket adapter. Granted, it was part of a $6 40pc socket set from Harbor Freight, but regardless it's annoying. Now I know what you're thinking: where are the pictures? Well, folks, my phone got a bad case of colour vomit and sadly didn't make it. I am getting a new phone soon enough though and I will soon be able to continue documenting my misery. As soon as I can get a clean oil filter on my bike I will see how she gets on leak-wise. I also just got my new headlights in. Chrome Dominator style headlights. Just waiting on my indicators and mounting brackets. Oh yeah, I left a nice review on Yelp and Google for the braindead motherfuckers at Coleman Powersports who don't know enough about a motorcycle to change the fucking oil before you sell the fucking thing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
put a magnet in the old oil and see if you get any shavings. Just to be certain no one spun a bearing or have anything clogging your oil pickup.
I threw a puralator gold oil filter on my triple. found it at advance auto.
Keep at it, im fighting electrical issues with mine

1 - 20 of 70 Posts