Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

I'm sorry to report this wont be the :CK187: kind of thread I know we all love around here,
but more a fondling of low hanging fruit. Think life drawing class rather then your favorite website after this one.

So that said, lets meet the object of ogling as obtained:2000 Buell X1, stock other then a Vance Hines pipe & a "race only" ECM.

Note the awkward plastic protuberances & off balance 2/3 black 1/3 AL coloration.
But more so than some we have good bone structure & comparatively little remove or hide.

Now that I have your curiosity I need to run...

Follow up photos with descriptions of previous work accomplished in the next installment. In the mean time lets hear name suggestions, none of mine have stuck to the rude girl.

Reactions: ultimate fighter

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Continuing on,

Unfortunately I did not take in progress pix. But first things first I ordered up a shop manual & did the prerequisite fluid changes. Also, it had a bad battery & leaky fork seal to take care of. These bikes are interesting to get off the ground to work on given the under-slung exhaust & rear shock. I ended up hanging it from my clothes line T pillar using ratchet straps to pull the front end take care of the fork seal & swap out the front tire while I was at it. Wish I had a photo of that silliness to share.

Having taken care of the general maintenance I just road it for a little while seeing what it said to me. And mostly that was "I'm trouble", "my motor is not happy" & "my plastic itches". Let me explain that: I got a lot of appreciation from local law enforcement to the tune of 2 speeding tickets in the first month. My first in years, I had to get used to keeping it reined in. Secondly, while it opperated functionally enough I could just tell the motor was just not a happy one. More on that later. Now some pics after round 1 of DW & some description:

Ok, I think I'll go back to front:

I pulled the cast Al tail off, removed all hardware, debadged the inset Buell Pegasus logo with bondo, prepped, primer, & painted the tail.
Re-installed the tail with new LED smoked LED tail light with integrated blinkers & new smoked flush mount blinkers in place of the old lollipops. Adjusting the wiring to suit the new configuration.
Made under tail out of sheet Al using the cardboard template method & attached using some spring loaded catches on the inside I BSed out of bits from the hardware store. Ditto on the plate bracket & note the new key location for releasing the seat.

Here is a closer look:

I pulled the left side plastic, relocated the horn & replaced the fuel filter & hoses.

Pulled the right side plastic which is the airbox. The seal on the airbox sucked & it was obviously not functioning as intended so extra good riddance. Removed the cracked plastic ring my snorkel intake was attached to. Made an adapter/intake stack out of a similar diameter ABS plumbing fitting with a lot of shaping with hand tools & attached with a new DYI gasket. Cheapo ricer car airfilter then slid on. I did not seem to suffer from excess old puking from the breather which is now a Sportster aftermarket single breather tube do-dad. I tapped the metal button cap on the air filter with a barb by thread for the breather hose as I was not excited about a catch can. It beats forking out gold for silly priced air intake options from HD. $300 air filters anyone?

Homework notes: get photos of interior of tail attachments & DYI intake stack to help make sense out of my descriptions.

Ok it is tomorrow morning again.
More obsessive detail next time folks, I promise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And I'm back,

I got those detail shots of the spring loaded under tail retainers:

And the relocated seat release:

I forgot to mention I used spray on bed liner on the under tail as well, Figuring it would hold up better & blend in better.

And some shots of what I was describing about the intake:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moving forward,

Debadged the tank cover.
The wind screen was removed & 2.75" risers where added with some ATV bars & vintage style GP grips for the softer/larger diameter fit. Cable & wiring reroute were required. Less racy sure, but better in traffic & my wrists don't complain any more. Got rid of the front lollipop blinkers & attached some smoked triangular flush mount LEDs to the wind screen mounts by way of some Al backing plates.

So far so good, but I now find the gauge cluster & wiring to be awkward looking. Functional & visible while riding sure, but also like it's wearing a pair of truck nuts on its chin.

I'm thinking I'll swap in a trailtech vapor at some point in the future.

Some details your can't see in the photos:
Brass bushings for the shifter & brake, as they were sloppy.
Replaced gas tank filler ring, cap, gasket, & breather as the originals were jacked up.
Spent some time troubleshooting the electrical, I was blowing random fuses for a while before I tracked down all the gremlins.
I do have the tank accents but while I'm still messing around in there they are staying off.

So what now?

Mostly hacking the fuel injection. Like I said the motor was just grumpy. After replacing the intake it got a little better. Ditto after the TPS reset but its still not right. I got a hold of ECMSpy but ran into a wall getting anything adjusted with it. I have ran a few logging runs but have not figured out how to globally apply a percentage change to the maps using it. reviewing the logs it appears I am running rich, the worst about 18% right around 3k.

If someone has gotten through this learning curve would drop some knowledge about the process I would greatly appreciate it.

Otherwise its a matter of polishing, knocking down the smaller details till I stop.

Then its on to the 1969 CB cafe project sitting around my house

Till next time, Hola Vatos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts