Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i purchased a 2001 yamaha R1 about 6 months ago from a friend who needed the money and since i was looking for my first bike figured 3500 wasn't too bad. it ended up needing a good bit of maintenance since he had slacked and half assed a bike. luckily i enjoy working on things. i ended up redoing the fork seals,clutch,fairings and swing arm bushings along with a hardware kit since it was missing a good bit of the fairing fasteners. after got the bike back together,plastidip peeled off of everything(mostly) and painted i rode it daily about 20 miles for a few months . well about two weeks ago on the way home from work i encounter what looks like debris from a house remodel at about 55 mph on a curve. i dodged what i could, but lost it and aimed for the dirt where i rolled. somehow the bike slid on one side and lost the fairings, busted a headlight and broke off the very rear brace under the passenger seat on the frame. come to find out it had been jb welded in and the bike has been previously dropped .anyways seems to be mostly superficial damage. but now i can build the street fighter i had been planning. instead of looking for a cheap bike to build i get a newer one for dd next year. I work in an aircraft sheet metal/composites shop so i have some experience for fabricating.

Plans:
bob the rear
polish or wrap headers
fork snap around turn signals
shorten stock rear fairing?
dominater or single round headlight
recover the seat
paint is undecided
carbon fiber front and rear fenders
replace rubber lines
replace coolant reservoir
new handlebars
belly pan or sheet metal skid
wire tuck what i can
minimalistic look

time for the pics.

after i redid everything

after the accident

you can see the bar that broke off next to the seat

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just got permission from he wife to order new gear so its on its way. bike is currently stripped down. runs good so far only been around the block though. the rear subframe is tweaked to the right some but it was already that way and the real bar at the very back was jb welded on to begin with.found that out after i dropped it. hope to eventually cutoff and weld on a new or custom subframe since mine i wasn't lucky enough to have the bolt on.. the replacement taillight i had ordered before i wrecked is slightly to big so need to decide whether to mod the under tail or bob the rear completely. ordering a 6.5 inch led headlight and fork brackets for 32-40 mm. from what I've read thats the size of the forks.also ordering new front brake reservoir and frame sliders. the rest ill just wing it. anyone have experience wiring foglights into the headlight harness? that was my first option before i found a headlight. the second option was dominator headlights but the consensus was they suck as far as light output.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any suggestion as far as the subframe goes will be appreciated. i currently don't have a welder fyi. i kept the tail fairing. rear tire hugger and front fender. the tail is split in two but i might glass it back together and chop it just behind the crossbar above the main seat. as far as color scheme I'm thinking black/red/gold/gunmetal. might paint the wheels gold to match the forks.hope to look for honda interceptor for the next bike really digging the single sided swing arm. and putting one on the r1 would be outrageous price wise

one of my favorites

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Mate, the fork diameter is about 50 mm at top triple and 54-55 at bottom if I am not wrong. The headlight bracket is too small in diameter.
Nice catch +rep.

Op, best to snap a set of calipers on your forks where you want the headlight brackets to sit as they are mm specific.
Edit " must spread rep etc." somebody rep GoodKat for looking out for new members please.

·
Mr. Good Kat
362 Posts
Nice catch +rep.

Op, best to snap a set of calipers on your forks where you want the headlight brackets to sit as they are mm specific.
Edit " must spread rep etc." somebody rep GoodKat for looking out for new members please.
Thanks! Just trying to be a good Fightersville citizen :D.

Might sound noobish but what's the rep thing?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He definitely saved me from some cursing . The brackets are on the expensive side at $70 for 50mm . But then again I'm saving a lot of money by going the round headlight instead of factory with new fairings. Still torn between the old school halogen round headlight and the led one currently in my cart.

·
Mr. Good Kat
362 Posts
He definitely saved me from some cursing . The brackets are on the expensive side at $70 for 50mm . But then again I'm saving a lot of money by going the round headlight instead of factory with new fairings. Still torn between the old school halogen round headlight and the led one currently in my cart.

Here are some nice options:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-51mm-CNC...torcycle_Parts_13&hash=item5b09e43c12&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...torcycle_Parts_13&hash=item5d4cd762c7&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-HEADL...torcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2a4b1ac114&vxp=mtr

Also, you can fab some by yourself. Not too complicated and you only need basic tools.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Thanks! Just trying to be a good Fightersville citizen :D.

Might sound noobish but what's the rep thing?
It has to do with the green knucks under your avatar, and more. more positive rep= better member, more likely to buy from/sell to, more likely to answer your help needed or photshop requests etc.
Red knucks mean you're an idiot, pretty much shunned around here.
Check some of our site sponsors sites, I bought a pair of headlight brackets from moto-madness a couple days ago, yes they cost upwards of 60 bucks, but I've had cheap brackets, they sucked and hit my frame, I'd love to make my own but I'm willing to sub some things out to make my time frame which is approaching quickly.
Moto-madness has a nice store and I know my stuff will show up with no issues.

Reactions: GoodKat

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

This is my plan as far as the subframe chop at one of the two red lines still undecided .leaning towards the rear line since to maintwin the upper brace and keep my butt from sliding off .the bolt or braise or maybe both a new cross bar in just because . Then bolt my new factory taillight in under neath that . Possibly a new sheet metal under tail that actually Fitz the taillight. Need to pick up more bullet type electrical connects to put on my wiring for the headlight and taillight . Anyone know what I can do for the extra wire since my bike originally had two headlights and I'm going to a single? Any opinions of the headlight choice? I know a single round headlight but can't for the life of me pick between classic and the black led.also this is the bracket I'm going with
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PX5K9RG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2AV4FKKLE8OAE

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
Just tape off the second headlight wires and tuck safely away in case you ever switch back to a twin set up. I just got a set of those clamps myself. They were very tight to the specified dia so if i was ordering again i'd maybe go up a mm to make fitting easier, if you are happy you can pad them out comfortably.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
also picked up a new throttle cable and engine ice since the PO used tap water and my tank looks like crap. gonna flush it and makeshift a red stainless water bottle coolant overflow tank. also found square aluminum tubing for the subframe and threaded rod. planning on bolting in a new cross member

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Installed the new front brake reservoir and coolant overflow bottle.flushed the radiator and refilled with engine ice .pretty expensive for a 1/2 gallon. Also trimmed the subframe more and bolted in the new brace. Still need to braze it and cap the ends. For those wondering I used 5/8 threaded rod with flat and lock washers.pretty sure it's overkill but I slid scrap rod in the end while tightening to prevent crushing and used plenty of red high strength lock tight .bought the electrical connecters for when the headlight gets here on Monday.plan to knockout both headlight and taillight then.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts