Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have a 2001 r6 and when i got it it "only need a starter solenoid to run" well did that and needed a motor so got rebuit motor put in. last night i pulled the tank off and it rained (yes I'm stupid i didn't know it was gonna rain) it would turn over before it rained. (carbs are getting rebuilt now thats y it didn't run). water in every thing. it won't turn over at all unless i jump the post of the starter solenoid. the wiring harness has been cut and all getto but it was running before i pulled it apart.. i don't know what i should do iv dryed everything and checked the fuses.. I haven't seen it run since the motor rebuild.. but i have seen it turn over I'm in the proceed of trying to find a wiring harness but what could it be thats stopping it from turning over when i hit the start button any ideads are appreciated the bike is been a huge headache
i tried putting a push button instead of the original starter button but thats not it either.
please help I'm stuck.. iv also been a member here for a while i just don't post much but i read a lot and I'm hopefully doing the rfid keyless thing AFTER i get this mess done
also i just realized that the gauge jumps from 0-4 rpms but i don't know it that is just started because the gauge and front harness was not plugged in when it got rained on

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
If it will turn over when you jump the post of the starter solenoid then you might have a fried solenoid. I know you just replaced it but that happens sometimes. I had one fry two weeks after I bought it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it will turn over when you jump the post of the starter solenoid then you might have a fried solenoid. I know you just replaced it but that happens sometimes. I had one fry two weeks after I bought it
i will order another on just to see i hope thats the only problem i can't figuar anything other then that
thanks man and if anyone has any other ideas lmk

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
no it wasn't i just plugged it in to see what it was doing
Unplug the speedometer and try cranking over again. Then report back...

Had a similar problem with my R6, it ended up being the wrong year speedometer. 99-00 need those years on it, 01-02 needs those years.
I worked through it and got it to run but had to redo how the oil level warning light worked. Very simple job. Just unplug it and let me know if it cranks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unplug the speedometer and try cranking over again. Then report back...

Had a similar problem with my R6, it ended up being the wrong year speedometer. 99-00 need those years on it, 01-02 needs those years.
I worked through it and got it to run but had to redo how the oil level warning light worked. Very simple job. Just unplug it and let me know if it cranks.
nope still nothing i looked at your build was nice i might do the 03 swing arm if i ever get it right

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Neutral safety switch. Clutch safety switch. Side stand safety switch.

All things that can deactivate your starter soleniod.

Of course, on some bikes these will prevent it from cranking. Some bikes will crank, but not start. Not sure how your model is set up. Just some ideas.
ill check but if i remember right it would let me start just not go into gear
also i ordered the new solenoid this ione is a new aftermarket and the last one i put in was used oem.
edit: the side stand switch is ripped out and looks like its been wired together
the clutch with is supposed according to the service manual to be a black and yellow and a blue and yellow in the left controls so i took that off and this is what i found the 2 wires not plugged into anything http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/c...15 at 2.17 PM_zps6bttbvjk.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
neutral safety swithch seems to be ok

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,174 Posts
ill check but if i remember right it would let me start just not go into gear
also i ordered the new solenoid this ione is a new aftermarket and the last one i put in was used oem.
edit: the side stand switch is ripped out and looks like its been wired together
the clutch with is supposed according to the service manual to be a black and yellow and a blue and yellow in the left controls so i took that off and this is what i found the 2 wires not plugged into anything

neutral safety swithch seems to be ok
Side stand safety switch should be the culprit if you can start her, but kills the engine once you go into gear.

Since the switch has already been removed, I would open up that connection and check to see if 1) it is done properly and 2) it is actually supposed to be a closed circuit when the side stand is up.

If the bypass has been done correctly, I would check the wiring harness above it up to the CDI(? not sure where it goes on your bike). Possibly remove the CDI connector and check the pins for continuity in case there is a break in the wires between the CDI and the side stand safety switch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Side stand safety switch should be the culprit if you can start her, but kills the engine once you go into gear.

Since the switch has already been removed, I would open up that connection and check to see if 1) it is done properly and 2) it is actually supposed to be a closed circuit when the side stand is up.

If the bypass has been done correctly, I would check the wiring harness above it up to the CDI(? not sure where it goes on your bike). Possibly remove the CDI connector and check the pins for continuity in case there is a break in the wires between the CDI and the side stand safety switch.
i checked and think its done right but i can't even get it to turn over
and it plugs somewhere in the middle of the wiring harness but i don't think that would be it becouse it ran before i pulled the motor for a rebuild
also any idea whats up with where the clutch switch is supposed to be

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,174 Posts
Clutch safety switch is a small normally open switch on the clutch perch that closes when the lever is pulled towards the bars. Usually a single connector or two blade connectors.

A bypass can be run with a wire in the connector. Mine was bypassed with a small strip of steel bent into a U and pushed into the back of the connector, I lost the U off roading and subsequently have cut off the connector and connected the two wires directly.

The bike ran when you first got it, you took it apart and put it back together. It rained a lot on the uncovered bike, but has dried by now. The bike currently doesn't run, but turns over when you jump the terminals on the starter solenoid.

Am I correct there?

When you turn the bike on with the side stand down (already bypassed), the clutch lever untouched and the kill switch off, what does the bike do? (Lights come on, gauges light up with what idiot lights, sounds?)

When you turn the kill switch to the on position, does the fuel pump prime? (Not sure if you can hear it on the R6, but some bikes will have an audible priming of the fuel lines. Since your R6 is carbed, I am not sure the pressure is high enough to be able to hear it.)

Is the bike currently in neutral with the neutral idiot light showing on the gauges? (If the neutral idiot light is on, the neutral safety switch should be plugged in and working. If you cannot get the neutral idiot light on, then this needs to be handled. You shouldn't bypass this switch.)

When you hit the starter, does the bike make any noises or turn off any lights? (We are listening for clicks from the starter relay or watching for the idiot lights to change or some bikes turn off the headlight briefly to allow more power to the starter.)

If you pull the clutch lever fully to the bars and hit the starter, does the bike make any noises or turn off any lights? (After making sure the clutch safety switch is plugged. The clutch safety switch gives an alternative route for the neutral safety switch and allows the bike to be started in gear safely. On the SV650, unless bypassed it is required to use the clutch whether or not the bike is in neutral.)

When you jump the starter relay and the bike turns over, does it sound like it is firing at all? (If the connection to your CDI isn't allow the bike to spark, it won't fire but bypassing the starter relay will still let the engine turn over.)

I would at the very least, remove the CDI connector and plug it back in, check the continuity of the starter switch at the switch and the CDI, check the continuity of the clutch safety switch at the switch and the CDI, and check the continuity of the side stand safety switch at the CDI. More than likely, they are on a common ground. I couldn't quickly find a good wiring diagram for the bike, but will look again if you cannot find one. I did find you the manual though.

http://www.yzfr6.net/manual/r6_manual_electric.pdf

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Clutch safety switch is a small normally open switch on the clutch perch that closes when the lever is pulled towards the bars. Usually a single connector or two blade connectors.

A bypass can be run with a wire in the connector. Mine was bypassed with a small strip of steel bent into a U and pushed into the back of the connector, I lost the U off roading and subsequently have cut off the connector and connected the two wires directly.

The bike ran when you first got it, you took it apart and put it back together. It rained a lot on the uncovered bike, but has dried by now. The bike currently doesn't run, but turns over when you jump the terminals on the starter solenoid.

Am I correct there?

When you turn the bike on with the side stand down (already bypassed), the clutch lever untouched and the kill switch off, what does the bike do? (Lights come on, gauges light up with what idiot lights, sounds?)
gauges come on running lights come on blinkers work (no head light ) fuel pump primes

When you turn the kill switch to the on position, does the fuel pump prime? (Not sure if you can hear it on the R6, but some bikes will have an audible priming of the fuel lines. Since your R6 is carbed, I am not sure the pressure is high enough to be able to hear it.)
yes it dose with kill switch on or off

Is the bike currently in neutral with the neutral idiot light showing on the gauges? (If the neutral idiot light is on, the neutral safety switch should be plugged in and working. If you cannot get the neutral idiot light on, then this needs to be handled. You shouldn't bypass this switch.)
the idiot light is on

When you hit the starter, does the bike make any noises or turn off any lights? (We are listening for clicks from the starter relay or watching for the idiot lights to change or some bikes turn off the headlight briefly to allow more power to the starter.)

If you pull the clutch lever fully to the bars and hit the starter, does the bike make any noises or turn off any lights? (After making sure the clutch safety switch is plugged. The clutch safety switch gives an alternative route for the neutral safety switch and allows the bike to be started in gear safely. On the SV650, unless bypassed it is required to use the clutch whether or not the bike is in neutral.)
no noises and no lights off
When you jump the starter relay and the bike turns over, does it sound like it is firing at all? (If the connection to your CDI isn't allow the bike to spark, it won't fire but bypassing the starter relay will still let the engine turn over.)

no it dose not sound like its fireing at all

I would at the very least, remove the CDI connector and plug it back in, check the continuity of the starter switch at the switch and the CDI, check the continuity of the clutch safety switch at the switch and the CDI, and check the continuity of the side stand safety switch at the CDI. More than likely, they are on a common ground. I couldn't quickly find a good wiring diagram for the bike, but will look again if you cannot find one. I did find you the manual though.

iv actually removed the hole wiring harness and dryed all the connections.. I'm almost positive it has to be the solenoid because iv checked everything i know and anything anyone suggested on here
http://www.yzfr6.net/manual/r6_manual_electric.pdf
thanks for all the help guys and i awanserd all the questions right under each one

1 - 15 of 15 Posts