Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here we go...

I always thought the SV was a fun & snappy little pup and felt like it would have made a bitchin motard. I'm still not sure if this build fits in with y'all, but my intent was for it to ride like a super moto, and look / feel like a modern bike.

Truth be told, I've owned this thing for nearly 10 years, and have tried (and failed) atleast 3 or 4 other times to "customize" it. Mostly after being jealous/ inspired from the builders on here and a few other folks around the interwebs.

My goal with this build is to:
A) Sharpen my CAD skills
B) Sharpen my Fab & Machining Skill
C) HAVE FUN!!!!!

Annnnyway. Enough waxing poetic, on to the pictures.

Initial explorations.
Footwear Human body Automotive design Finger Font
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive fuel system Fuel tank

Making a foamy mess in parents' garage. Check...
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Window

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Then to endless hours of CAD (where things look good but share almost no relationship to the real world....).
I "reverse engineered" everything but the motor (thanks to Joff90 on GrabCAD) using a ruler, caliper and some reference photos. From this you can see there are clear gaps in detail and accuracy to the real SV versus this CAD model. All good, this works to get a feel for the end goal.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

Time to start actually making shit.... courtesy of zeh laser cutter.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Bicycle tire Automotive lighting

Learned a lot from this initial test. Mostly that my CAD scale was off, and I'll likely need to run a pod filter or some alternative to the stock air box, if I want the body lines to stick within my intended form.

I know I know, pods on a carb'd SV are no bueno. But hey, what's life without a little risk. I spoke briefly with a rep at Spears Enterprises / Spears Racing World Headquarters who said they'll give me some guidance on jetting if I buy their pods & dynojet kit. Yet to be determined but seeing as I've been fighting a vacuum leak induced popping for ages anyway. I figure making a huge change in the intake system won't shake things up too much. Right? Sure, lets try it...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still working with the laser cut prototype but trying to get a feel for how a subframe might work here.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Snow Automotive exterior Mode of transport

Then onto how the underside or tank bottom would work.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Scrapped together a jig to get a feel of the seat height and general seating position. Along with the underside of the body work and tank.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Onto building some form of a prototype subframe. I kind of went into this portion knowing this subframe wouldn't work out 100%, but it allowed me to find a process for working, along with getting a better understand of the parameters. Things like: is it better to tack, assemble on bike, then weld? Or weld in jig, then knock into place on the bike?
And more importantly, maybe steel tube isn't the way to go... Either way I go to learn, which is cool. Kinda frustrating, but cool....
Gas Engineering Machine Audio equipment Machine tool
Wood Gas Auto part Machine Metal
Wood Tool Cosmetics Material property Gas

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Having said all of that, there are still alot of unanswered questions which need to be sorted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before I ventured too far into learning how to build the thing or refining some form of a fabrication process. I wanted to build a full scale, visual prototype that I could use to say " This is (more or less) exactly how I want the bike to look. Thus, I'll work off this shape, to build out any of the sub-systems. Continuing with the theme of me not knowing how much work it actually takes to build, that was a whole lot more work than I anticipated. I'm glad I did it, because it really informed me on what is/ isn't possible or within my abilities, but dang was I inefficient. All good, get to learn from it for the next iteration.

Here's that...

Azure Rectangle Hood Wood Flooring
Light Blue Wood Floor Flooring
Wood Aircraft Mode of transport Motor vehicle Air travel

Wood Saw Tool Flooring Floor

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle brake

Once I had a tangible, full scale model, I started to better understand how the pieces could come together.

Next steps, build another subframe utilizing information from the above model. Probably starting with cardboard, then onto some form of weldable aluminum. Also, may tap some friends who melt metal for a living to help because I would not trust my welds for any form of hooligan-ness, shenanigans, or clutch dumped brapping.

·
Mr. Good Kat
427 Posts
Damn, this is one of those builds that can throw you into a builder's depression because you are lacking the skills and machines seen in this thread, so to cope with it, you grab a Ducati Monster S4 project and afterwards everything goes south because you know shit about desmodromic timing.

Nice work...Ducati, here I come!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn, this is one of those builds that can throw you into a builder's depression because you are lacking the skills and machines seen in this thread, so to cope with it, you grab a Ducati Monster S4 project and afterwards everything goes south because you know shit about desmodromic timing.

Nice work...Ducati, here I come!
Much appreciated man. The amount of talent throughout this site is incredible. I feel like a scrappy white belt in a room full of seasoned black belts when I post here lol (Reference Yantosh builds for blackbelt examples lol) I Lets see that Ducati build thread!!!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,755 Posts
Very cool concept! Can't wait to see this completed. Kinda reminds me of the new svartpilens.

Reactions: R.LoganDesign
1 - 10 of 10 Posts