Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 287 Posts

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody what's up? I've been more of a lurker on this forum for more than a year now and I have learned so much about motorcycles, modding, and getting inspiration for my project. Everyone's bike on here is awesome. So I'll just write a little story about my baby that I picked up last September.

So I bought her last year for a pretty good deal considering it was already sort of a fighter. But this bike was half assed and it looked like shit. There were missing and misplaced nuts and bolts everywhere, scratches on the plastics and frame, parts that needed to be changed, 12 years of road grime, rash and stains on the engine covers, and a dent on the right side of the frame about the size of my fist. I'm the third owner so it goes first owner dumped her at least twice (one on each side, could have been more) and the second owner used for a parts bike and turned into a bad looking fighter. That's where I come in and here are some of the pictures before I did anything to her:

I then was trying to plan out what I was going to do: Fairings or Streetfighter? I decided to go with the fighter cause the more I looked at them the more I wanted to do it. Still love full fairings though. lol I'll post this up in segments so I don't lose track of information or anything else. This was as of November.

Pred

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So Christmas break rolled around and finally got some time to start stripping her down and taking a look at her. I must say I can't thank my father enough for helping me on this. He's always been into bikes, but he stopped a riding a long time ago, and big problems have left his legs paralyzed for the past couple of years. Before the tearing down process:

It's a miracle that the tank wasn't destroyed like the frame. Took the tank off to look at the carbs and we found this in the airbox:

Looks like it wasn't changed since it the left the factory. lol Carbs looked good just some crap in the bowls from the filter. Ordered some K&N filters and new plugs off of my best friend during this project, eBay.

All of the rash on the alternator and the completely bald tire that needed to be changed before this bike ever saw the street. Took everything off and dropped the engine and this is what I was left with as of February:

And then by the end:

A mess of parts that covered an entire garage bay.

Pred

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So then it finally started warm up in SE PA (it was cold as shit this winter). Bought some new parts and then the stripped the frame, subframe, and swingarm to paint black. I also painted the engine covers and the rad as well. Smoothed out everything I could and filled the dent in with Bondo. Real great stuff. I used rattle cans just can't afford powder coating. I think it turned out well:

Once everything was painted it was time to start putting her back together:

Got it mostly done by the middle of June and continued on till this week. Here's the finished product for now:

All that it needs is a plate, but that's a whole other story as of now. lol

Mod List:
Custom Brackets
K&N Air and Oil Filters
New NGK Plugs
Interstate Battery
Aftermarket Headlight
PIAA H6M Bulb
New Rear View Mirrors
Pimpbike Undertail
Sheet Metal Fender Eliminator
2005 ZX-6R Coolant Reservoir under the tank
Stainless Steel Bolts everywhere
Orbital Ninja Grips
JT Sprockets 15/40, 530 Gold X-Ring Chain
PVC Caps and Aluminum Screen Mesh for ram air holes and tube
Sickspeed Wheel Caps
Polished Handlebar Levers, Shift and Brake Lever

Future Mods:
Ixil Exhaust
Seat Cowl
Wheels need to be repainted badly
Repaint front fender and headlight
Maybe Powder Coating

Any criticism and thoughts is greatly appreciated. I wish I put up a thread while I was building her back up, but I'm alright with how she turned out. I came in with one goal, make her look presentable again.
Thanks for looking.

Pred

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey the bike looks great. You patched up the frame pretty good. Couldn't even tell there was a dent like in the earlier pics.

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the headlight, any more details on it?
No problem. The plastic and light assembly are great. Very flexible when it's completely apart. The parts you'd need to change are the bolts for the windscreen cause they'll rust in a couple months after buying it. And the main bulbs are shit (35W) one of them died within 40 miles of it being on the bike. They're H6M bulbs so I bought a PIAA to replace and haven't had any problems at all with it. The turn signals and sidelight are great.Overall it's a good headlight as long as you change main bulbs.

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Time to update. I am dirt poor right now lol. I've been riding around and I think there's a problem with my right fork. I changed the seals while it was apart, but oil still comes out and there is residue on the fork. Should I take it to a shop to have them look at it? Here's a pic or two:

Also going to change the headlight with a cafe style light. Really thinking about getting an old CB light.

I hope I don't get flamed or something for this, but I really need to sell some parts I have lying around. I've got chopped fairings that could be used as a belly pan, 2002 6R coolant reservoir, and an 05-06 swingarm. PM me if interested.

Any opinions on a light and fork advice is much appreciated.

Pred

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Get your posts up, check out some builds, and post up in the classifieds section. Dudes are always happy to buy and sell parts to cut up around here. http://www.customfighters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=196

Other than that, it looks like you've either incorrectly installed the fork seal, or you've got a pitted/bent fork leg. Probably the former, to be honest. They're very, very easy to mess up.

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get your posts up, check out some builds, and post up in the classifieds section. Dudes are always happy to buy and sell parts to cut up around here. http://www.customfighters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=196

Other than that, it looks like you've either incorrectly installed the fork seal, or you've got a pitted/bent fork leg. Probably the former, to be honest. They're very, very easy to mess up.
Will do, thanks for the input Pariah. I'm definitely going to a shop to have this looked at.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Will do, thanks for the input Pariah. I'm definitely going to a shop to have this looked at.
Did u use oem seals? Do them again with oem and make sure everything is spotless before putting it back together.

U can also try cleaning under the seal with a thin plastic sheet, worked for @crystleskull at the track the other day.

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did u use oem seals? Do them again with oem and make sure everything is spotless before putting it back together.

U can also try cleaning under the seal with a thin plastic sheet, worked for @crystleskull at the track the other day.
I bought from bikemaster on ebay can't remember the brand right now. Sucks cause the left is completely fine. It could be bent cause I have no idea how many times this bike went down before I got it.

What type of plastic sheet are you talking about though? I'm going to try that out when I get a chance to work on her. Thank you for the help.

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well now I've got another problem and it happened while I'm out on a ride tonight. I pull in to a gas station and I see smoke coming from behind the cluster. I look into it and the whole harness from what I saw is burned or burning (Not OEM harness). I leave the station go about 0.5 mile up the road and look at it again and the main light is out, the sidelight holder is busted and the bulb fell into the light assembly, and one of the wires is completely burned off. 25 miles from home and all I have are my hazards which somehow worked. Scariest shit I've ever done man. Can't believe I said that thing was a high quality light. You get what you pay for and I learned my lesson. On to looking for a new headlight.

Pred

1 - 20 of 287 Posts