Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 R1 with some mods, Haven't done the full on fighter yet. However i plan to rebuild the motor this winter. It has 17,000 miles on it and i already have the dreaded 2nd gear slip. Hence the reason for the rebuild, I would like advice about the most ''Bang for my Buck". I will be cutting the dogs on the gears. I plan to do aftermarket pistons (not big bore, Just up the compression). Cam sprockets, Velocity stacks, Smog block offs, Power commander, Exup delete (already done). I'd like to know where to buy parts, What makes the most power? I have no interest in nos or turbo , Want to go all motor. I've even looked into full on race shops to have them build one and everyone i call, they tell me they wont do it cuz its so old. I have the ability the machine shop, resources as well i have been a mechanic for well over 10 years. just looking for useful info on cranking the most out of it. And before its asked, My riding style is balls out!! I love corners more than straight away's . Thanks in advance for any info, RIDE HARD AND SAFE

·
evillani
87 Posts
One thing you could do since you have access to machines would be deck the head and maybe take a few mils off it to up the compression, or else buy a race head gasket (thinner so you dont have to mill the head)

·
Yut-Ughhh
1,651 Posts
Look up EDR performance.... They will gladly touch that yammy and make all sorts of insanely awesome power come out of it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I know Graves is a big yamaha performance house, probably worth talking to them.

But as said, decking the head or a thinner gasket is probably the most "bang for the buck". The downside is that it makes running premium fuel an absolute necessity, which can be a little tougher than it sounds since most gas pumps now are 1 hose, so the first gallon or two you get are whatever the last person selected, probably regular. When you only take 3 or 4 gallons, it can dilute the octane rating considerably. If you're only topping up you might not get any premium at all.

Most of these indicate what the last fuel they dispensed was....an arrow over the price displays or sometimes the octane button lit up, so you can pick one that has premium in the hose. Or use a station with 3 hose pumps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts