Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
GURU
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I recenlty bought a 2004 GSXR600 that is missing the fairing, headlight, and guages. I bought it with the intention to strip it anyway so the deal worked out great for me. But I have run into a few aesthetic problems and I hope you fine people would be able to help.

1. What to do with the coolant reservoir tank? This one has really got me.

2. I am looking for an extremely small and basic speedometer/gas gauge/tac combo that will fit between the handle bars. Any suggestions? I can fab my own bracket to make it stay.

3. What do you guys do about the brake reservoir on the handle bars? I can't decide what to do about the front brake.

4. Last but not least, if you guy could point me in the direction of a small, clean, basic headlight with no extra plastic that would be great.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a newbie to nakes bikes. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated it. Thanks!

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
1: You can make a coolant resevoir tank out of anything. Aluminum and plastic bottles work best. JB-weld or high-temp silicone, some hose stock, and then hide it somewhere or make it look cool.

2. Acewell, Trailtech, KOSO, Veypor. These four companies make the best gauges. I have an Acewell... www.electrosport.com. Call their 800 number and ask for Marcus, tell him you're from Custom Fighters. He'll give you a deal.

3. You can use a master cylinder from another bike if you're concerned about looks...

4. Small, clean, basic headlight? Aztec-8 makes really inexpensive, solid headlights and he's awesome to work with. You can also try various driving lights. I use PIAA 510 driving lights.
Just make sure you get DRIVING lights and not FOG lights. Big difference.

Welcome to the site.

·
GURU
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1: You can make a coolant resevoir tank out of anything. Aluminum and plastic bottles work best. JB-weld or high-temp silicone, some hose stock, and then hide it somewhere or make it look cool.

2. Acewell, Trailtech, KOSO, Veypor. These four companies make the best gauges. I have an Acewell... www.electrosport.com. Call their 800 number and ask for Marcus, tell him you're from Custom Fighters. He'll give you a deal.

3. You can use a master cylinder from another bike if you're concerned about looks...

4. Small, clean, basic headlight? Aztec-8 makes really inexpensive, solid headlights and he's awesome to work with. You can also try various driving lights. I use PIAA 510 driving lights.
Just make sure you get DRIVING lights and not FOG lights. Big difference.

Welcome to the site.
Thanks Haelo!

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
I got lucky and the overflow for the ninja is hidden up near the frame so you dont even really see it :)

If you want an easier way to hide it, sell the bike and buy an oil cooked suzuki gsxr hsahahaha j/k

·
407 Posts
you can fit that overflow under the tank, behind the cylinders.
just use the stock gauges, they're pretty small.
rig up any driving light you like, you're a little vague there.
what's wrong with the front brake resi? too big? you want an integrated master/resi? give more info.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
NOS energy drink bottles make cool resevoirs :D

·
GURU
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can fit that overflow under the tank, behind the cylinders.
just use the stock gauges, they're pretty small.
rig up any driving light you like, you're a little vague there.
what's wrong with the front brake resi? too big? you want an integrated master/resi? give more info.

The brake reservoir is kind of an eye sore. I was just wondering if there was any way to clean up the bars by eliminating it or even if you guys knew of any decent looking aftermarket reservoirs? I just didn't know what my options are. Thanks again!

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
You can always just out a wrist band around it and call it a day. :D

·
407 Posts
The brake reservoir is kind of an eye sore. I was just wondering if there was any way to clean up the bars by eliminating it or even if you guys knew of any decent looking aftermarket reservoirs? I just didn't know what my options are. Thanks again!
you can get an aftermarket smaller reservoir but you still need something to hold fluid. if you want to get tricky you can run just a tube, with no reservoir. It's a bitch to bleed since the tube holds very little fluid but looks pretty slick when done. You could also swap to a master off another bike that has the integrated coffin style reservoir but personally I think this is a waste of money.

·
GURU
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was also thinking about relocating the exhaust under the seat. Are there any brands of pipes or stores that you guys would suggest?

·
407 Posts
the only brand off the top of my head is the hotbodies. it looks like shit. Go custom or go a different route.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
NOS energy drink bottles make cool resevoirs :D
I used a section of pipe with a cap on either end pipe clamped under my tail..... it looks like a pipe bomb. kinda scares some people. lol

·
GURU
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just out of curiousity, I've noticed that some guys are running black pipes. Is that powder-coating or something else?

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
High temp engine enamel usually.

Sometimes it's a ceramic coating... which actually helps performance.

·
GURU
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
High temp engine enamel usually.

Sometimes it's a ceramic coating... which actually helps performance.

How well does that high temp engine enamel hold up on pipes? And am I correct in assuming that it would for on the engine as well( I know its a dumb question since it is called high temp engine enamel but I just wanted to make sure).

Also, I've heard of that ceramic coating. Is it pretty expensive and what kind of shops specialize in that?

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
The engine paint holds up as well on pipes as it does on engines :p

Jet Hot and a few other companies do ceramic coating. Have to mail your headers in.
Usually a couple hundred.

·
GURU
445 Posts
www.hpcoatings.com does heat coatings like jet hot and they have few locations around the country. Luckily I have one about 20 minutes from me. You can check out thier prices right on the site. I have heard better things about hpc than jet hot. A lot of buellers get thier headers done and the jet hot looks like crap a few months after it is done while the hpc stuff seems to look good much longer.

·
23 Posts
talk to fatboyz he made a custom braket so he could mount the stock guages just behind the upper tree, above the tank

1 - 20 of 20 Posts