Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after finishing up my 2010 Triumph T100 build in Septemberhttp://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113202 and putting about 500 miles on it, I've realized I miss the power, size, and 6th gear of my 2004 Triumph TBS. Plus, the short seat and lack of passenger pegs makes the T100 impractical for 2 up riding.

However, since I've now been spoiled by the USD forks and general badass classic look of the T100, it's time to take the TBS up a notch to make it into a great all around commuter and highway cruiser. Winter is supposed to be approaching and I have to put the bikes away due to extensive travel over the next month, so it's time to formulate an upgrade plan and start purchasing stuff. I'm still working out details but I've done a very very rough photoshop of the direction I'm going with this build. I park on the street here in NYC and ride to work a few days a week, so I'm going to focus on building a reliable urban motorcycle with great brakes, suspension, mag wheels, and enough power to ride 2up on the highway. It won't be as extensive as the T100 build as I won't be doing any frame modifications, major wiring hacks, or significant body mods. I already replaced the tank and rear fender and will be painting the replacements while the original paint bodywork sits in storage.

craptastic photoshop

upgrade plan:
Suspension & Wheels

Front: k6 GSXR 600 forks. Specs: 738mm stock length + 15mm extenders = 752mm overall length (29.6"). 310mm rotor size. All balls racing fork swap bearings ordered. I lucked out finding a set of used forks that have GP suspension internals & extenders and that were set up for a 175lb (in gear) rider, which is just about my weight.

Right now I haven't decided whether I'll stick with my renthal bars and use a billet top triple with riser holes or go with clip ons. I'm leaning towards keeping the renthals.

05+ zx6r front wheel with zx14 310mm rotors. I am unsure of the width of the hub so hopefully will work with the gsxr forks. Gsxr wheels are out as I hate 3 spoke wheels with a passion and would prefer not to relive the 90s.

Brakes: R6 monoblock calipers + twf adapters if I can find them at a reasonable cost. Otherwise sticking with stock GSXR units.

Rear: zx6r shock (no real need for it but I have one sitting around and it's more compact than the TBS remote reservoir shock).

05+ zx6r rear wheel with zx11 250mm rotor and 530 sprocket. In order to keep my stock 20mm axle and to avoid having to offset the wheel for sprocket alignment, I'm looking into using a BRP 180 wheel kit designed for the ex650. A Triumph Trophy rear brake assembly (caliper, bracket, torque arm) designed for a 255mm rear rotor fits and hopefully will work. The rotor diameter is 5mm less than the Trophy, but that's less than 1/10 an inch of reduced pad contact, so I'm not too worried. I also might swap on a mk1 Speed Triple swingarm with eccentric adjusters

Engine:

Green cams & rejet

igniter off 98hp Triple or programmable unit

check/adjust valves

change fluids & flush cooling system

The green cams, upgraded igniter, and rejet should get me at least another 10hp or so, putting me in the low to mid 90s

Body: Tank and chopped down rear fender to be powder coated pearl white (haven't decided whether to go gloss or satin).

Cheers,
Jason

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the work shed up and parts are starting to arrive

Not the most spacious, but the biggest I could easily fit in my NYC backyard. With both bikes being about 7' long, the 6x8 shed is going to be tight but hopefully workable. Thankfully I won't be doing too much in the way of fabricating or painting, and will likely outsource all powder coating and machining. I'm hoping to make this build as much as a bolt on affair as I can.

Forks arrived and are in good shape. Stock anodizing is in pretty good shape with only light scratches and the fork stanchions have been titanium nitride coated. Reasonably certain that stock fork spacing for the gsxr is 207mm and the zx6r is 210mm, so I should be able to fit the zx6r wheel with little fuss either trimming the stock spacers or experimenting with other 25mm ID spacers

Also received the lower triple and all balls conversion bearings (not pictured) and have ordered the Trophy rear caliper setup. For the front, I found a set of GSXR front calipers at a ridiculously cheap price so scrapped the idea for the R6 monoblock conversion.

Trophy rear brake assembly designed for a 255mm rotor (vs the 285mm stock TBS rotor)

These gsxr calipers need some cleaning and maybe powder coating, but I picked em up for only $25 shipped!

Heading out of the country on vacation for almost 2 weeks, so the bikes go into the shed tonight.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much to the chagrin of my girlfriend, I've managed to score a few great eBay deals while on vacation. Picked up a Roland Sands billet top triple set up for risers and a used BRP zx6r wheel kit and rear wheel. Scored it for less than 1/2 the cost of just the kit new.

Ok back to margaritas on the beach

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not much to report, as deconstruction hasn't begun. Was in Mexico and Costa Rica for 11 days and picked up a mosquito borne illness in CR that put me on my ass for the past week. Finally feeling better and looking forward to tearing the bike apart after Thanksgiving. Been collecting parts and tools and so far have most of the large parts in hand or on the way. Also picked up a craftsman compressorless powder coating gun and a xtra large toaster oven to powdercoat small stuff (triple, brackets, bolts, etc).

hung some shelves and a drop light and got the space heater in the shed. The space heater is the tits and the shed gets nice and toasty.

Dunlop Q3 race takeoffs - enough tread to get me through mock up and at least a riding season. Scored em locally for $80. 08+ zx10r front wheel with 310mm rotors should be here any day now and then I'll get these bad boys mounted.

Triumph "green" cams.

The lone bit of bling for the bike. RSD billet top triple. After drilling the GSXR top triple on my T100 build, I'm much happier going with a bit of kit meant for risers and not having to worry about cracking a thin top yoke with such a heavy bike.

Should have a better update in a few days with this beast torn apart and mock up started.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why are they called green cams?

Tell you the truth, I'm not sure where the designation came from. There are green, red, and blue cam designations. The green are from the 98hp 885 engine used in the speed triple and sprint, and when coupled with the ignition timing and raised rev limiter, give a nice boost in HP throughout the midrange to top end.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally had a little time to start wrenching. Got home from work early enough to run over to my neighborhood shop and have the rear tire mounted then rolled the bike out of the shed and started mocking up the rear wheel.

As usual, my little shop dog was out there nosing around the bike.

Got the rear wheel off and weighed them.

Stock rear wheel with tire/sprocket/rotor = 50.0lbs
zx6r rear wheel with tire/rotor (no sprocket) = 30.9lbs

I'm hoping to do a 520 conversion with an aluminum or steel/aluminum rear sprocket to keep the unsprung weight down.

Good shot of the old brake bracket

250mm zx9 rotor for use with the lower Triumph Trophy caliper and bracket

Trophy rear caliper and bracket mocked up

Wheel in - waiting on getting the sprocket and chain installed before taking final measurements for spacers.

fat ass (the seat is going to be trimmed down. It's the result of paying way too much money to the "best" motorcycle upholsterer in NYC who has now become a bit big for her britches)

Started disassembly on the front end as well, but stalled out when I couldn't get the top yoke off. Tried heat and a dead blow hammer but it wouldn't budge. Going to rent a puller and see if that will do the trick. If not, I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
getting there... A 3 jaw puller worked a treat getting the top triple off.

getting the lower yoke off, I noticed a mismatched set of bearings. Bottom is a tapered roller bearing and the top is a sealed bearing. I'm used to Triumphs (and other bikes) having caged ball bearings top and bottom, which I've usually switched for tapered roller bearings. Anyone ever seen a setup like this or am I looking at some creative liberties taken by a previous owner?

Started mocking up the gsxr front end

with the extensions, the front forks are 29.5" to the centerline of the axle

got the bars on to figure out the approximate location for the new steering stops

The stock stops will be shaved and the yoke drilled and tapped for bolts to act as steering stops. The entire lower yoke will be smoothed and powder coated black

glad I went with the black forks. Blend in much better than gold or silver folks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The forks are close enough. Apparently, according to triumphrat, the bearings are stock. Hopefully the tapered bearing steering races will fit. No idea how I would get a sealed bearing with a circlip to fit

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Came home after helping a fellow RAT with his own USD fork conversion to find the front wheel had arrived. Quickly mounted it up to see clearances and rotor fitment and it seems like it'll work just fine.

everything lines up nicely[

Wheels right now are mismatched colors but both will be gloss black eventually. Still working out what color I'm going to powdercoat the calipers.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Those worked out to be a really good match for the bike height wise! I'm kind of surprised...

Nice job man.

You're running an extension cap, right? How long is that?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those worked out to be a really good match for the bike height wise! I'm kind of surprised...

Nice job man.

You're running an extension cap, right? How long is that?

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with the overall stance. Handling remains to be seen, but now I have a good amount of range for moving the forks up in the trees. The extenders are 15mm, which is essentially the thickness of the top clamp.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been a while and was making some small progress here and there, but then came across a Rickman style fairing and all plans went out the window as did a lot of the progress I've made thus far...

This is the point I'm at right now:

I had just finished smoothing out the lower yoke and powdercoated it, installed the bearings, and then hacked up the RSD billet top yoke to mount the motogadget chronoclassic when it all went to shit.

And then 26.8" of snow was dumped on NYC and forced me inside where I quickly got bored and started eBaying, where I ran across a cheap Rickman 1/2 fairing set up with tinted gustaffson windscreen. While my girlfriend was cooking up an epic breakfast, I snagged her computer and did a quick photoshop and promptly fell in love...

so now, I'm waiting on the fairing to arrive before doing anything more. Also, given that I'm going to be building a bracket for the fairing mounted to the headstock, it'll give me a nice mounting spot for the factory gsxr steering damper which in turn will give me a little extra wiggle room with handling after the swap.

So now all that hard work modifying and smoothing my lower yoke is wasted, but hey, it just cost me $9 and elbow grease. So in addition to the fairing, I'm waiting on a new lower yoke, aluminum stock for the bracket and a new lower bearing.

Also, and hopefully someone on the forum here can confirm, but is a k5/k6 GSXR 1000 steering stem in fact 10mm longer than the 600/750 stem? I can just barely get both locking nuts threaded on to the 750 stem and although they are on there, I'd feel more comfortable with a slightly longer stem pressed into the k5/k6 lower yoke. I can pick up a k5/k6 1000 stem pretty cheap, but can't find confirmation of the length and the seller hasn't gotten back to me with measurements.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts