Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Need 4 Speed
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seen as it was on november '10 f.o.t.m contest

well i been wanting a new bike and we'll its not in my budget as much as i would like it to be. secondly, i hate looking like everyone else on the road so why not build on my 2004 z1000 that is already paid off:knucks:

i already started a couple weeks ago got me some drag bars from motomadness!

thanx again, they fit superb .. 7/8 x 29 inches... if it wasnt for that extra inch i would have needed some higher risers but it was perfect (paint tape was to help keep bars centered a and some pinched in clamp before you say "hey painter tape isnt gonna hold bars in place" haha

so i am cutting down the tail, changed bars, new paint, cutting some stuff here and there 636 rear shock yada yada yada ... guess i cant really say what is in for store, im doing it as i go.... so here is the start

with current news paper :LolLolLolLol:

and here we stand already...

started trimmin up plastics already too

·
Need 4 Speed
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
its now sunday december 12, 2010...

last night was a busy night... actually got quite alot accomplished with the tail...

cut the subframe to fit the new design

riveted and mounted rear brackets in place... mocked up flat form for undertail....

actually got the foam formed pretty busy day but well fulfilled... like to thank my buddy james (no2ndchance) for his previous skill of tail mods he done helped alot

well here is yesterdays stages sorry for the big picture time frame jumping we were in the zone haha

Look at ME SUCK! haha

just a mock up

·
Need 4 Speed
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well its now December 19th,2010 and the plastic pieces are about 90% ready for primer, new heated grip was delivered friday and installed on new bars (clutchside) and my muzzy aluminum fan showed up yesterday morning...

tail received its filler/bondo 1st coat... call it quits early yesterday the heaters in garage run out of propane.. and we didnt wanna work the night away...

Fiancee keeps wanting to give me a xmas gift pretty sure its bike related.. i keep telling her wait till the 25! i am getting excited...

coming out pretty sweet now

·
Need 4 Speed
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
had quite a busier productive day today....

removed rest of body parts to paint, threw down some primer, sanded , put down paint test make sure color was gonna be how i wanted...

removed the 4-2-1 muzzy system today, swapped out stock fan with aluminum muzzy .... bike sure is looking naked ! haha

·
Need 4 Speed
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
been offline a while now...

had mishap last weekend... took bike off rearstand to see true pitch the new tail is going to be on "flat ground" yea bike tipped! !!!! AHHHHHH fuel tank was just sitting on for mock up... it fall .. dent size of baseball now! DOH! good thing i bought gallon of bondo! hahahah wasnt mad surprisingly i was at fault.. sorta just watched to fall didnt even jump towards it to save it!!!

ONLY downer the fiancee just bought a new craftmen creeper that adjust up to a chair too... yea the cushion tore hahahaha OOPS!

just got my fuel tank cap i ordered yesterday. ended up going with that accossato race fuel cap... someone needed to be a guinea pig... ill have to update you through the season on "the seal"... seems well constructed

on the sour note.. at 230 on friday an hour before work ended.. i got laid off for 3 months! so my build not really on hold due to finances but i am going to be busy updating resume and whatnot rather then workin on bike... but it will still be completed by spring... well except maybe new tires... but yea! 2011 this better be my only downer!

·
Need 4 Speed
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well we got one layer of glass down on sunday

my Garage STINKS! between bondo, and now Resin! WOW! hope the smell goes away eventually hahaha

i picked up 1/2 gallon resin went with 1.5 oz fiberglass matting.. we put painters tape over foam/bondo and put thin layer of car polish paste to help so the mold comes right off the glass when were done.

now for some fun itchy sanding of the 1st layer.. going to do 2 total 1.5 oz coats of fiberglass and finish it off with a thin skin of bondo

here is the now stage

oh and here is the fuel cap i got that im being the "guinea pig " feels well made :)

·
Need 4 Speed
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my putting parts in basement then running outside to throw down some paint/primer was pretty successful in a short amount of time

i used the porch light cuz the sun did go down... hope the /patio/yard isnt too gray and black now hhaha

probably better in the day .. maybe tomorrow ill go to do it in the fenced in dog area that is all dirt.. but trying that maneuver at night might cause a "stink" in the air when i dont see that hidden shadow of the night as we all call "DOG SHIT" haha

·
Need 4 Speed
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well yesterday got little bit ambitious .. finally got to remove the foam and mold from the glass... going to do a 3rd finally coat of fiberglass on inside once i make brackets for a undertail ...

the intergrated taillight from the original tail should go nicely in the new updated tail too.. kinda stays with the theme very well for the dual points

with "mock" undertail remove and mold in place still

me picking out the foam/bondo... yay

i see light! pre sanding of glass

partial sanded.. still got some to do

\

slowly looking like a bike again

and the taillight mock... not sure where i want to put it yet... closer to tips / high up i think

all in all dont seem like much but i was pretty happy yesterday .. still making good time. but not close to done

·
Need 4 Speed
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
finally knocking out the body work... still got to get on the fuel tank

but got my fenders/ headlight assembly trimmed up pieces sanded straight. still got some sanding repairs to do on pieces but that doesnt take very long to fix just some smoothing

DONT USE AIRCRAFT PAINT REMOVER FOR PLASTIC it softens up the plastic still like the regular shit... im getting it back to normal again though after ALOT OF HEAVY GRIT SANDING:oops: but you learn what to use and not to use right!

heres the headlight... i wanted sharper edges... cant notice too much from factory but its there. Basically removed rounded lip on edges and got rid of the rounded part too

before

and now

here is the front fender i cut up (no need for b4 and after its pretty noticeable)
front of fender

rear part of front fender

and i hacked some off the rear hugger while i was at it too :rock:

·
Need 4 Speed
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PROGRESS!!!!! i think im done with making my garage a layer of dust! holy hell....

pretty happy for my 1st tail.....

fixed the dent i made last month in the tank... haha

also got some goodies in the mail yesterday.... going with a 200 this year. now that the tail is shorter and higher the 190 looked smaller to me... hahaha

·
Need 4 Speed
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well today i jumped on the project a little.... threw down final black coats on rear hugger, headlight assembly, bellypan.. just need to throw clear down on em..

cleared the "decepticon" windscreen pieces and decided to mock up the headlight unit.(pieces not riveted yet).... and........

i'm NOT HAPPY AT ALL... it way too square!!!. i have it sitting a little higher then what it will be mounted ... LOOKS MORE LIKE A MEGA MAN HELMET OR KID CHAMELEON haha all well it will be a cool wall mount piece for the bar downstairs

so either 2 things 1. im just going to straighten out the original windscreen that i originally started modifying before the "decepticon"... but the aircraft paint remover for PLASTIC parts messed this screen up hardcore... gonna have to fill it probably just do it black like the headlight assembly

2. start from scratch doing a more custom/pointed sheet metal shield that wont be as wide at bottom

also decided other day i wasnt happy with the 2000 degree heat paint (maybe cuz its not cured yet) but it seems to scratch VERY easy and to avoid a headache a week after install i decided to heat wrap the header and midpipes! still have to throw down the black sealant for it but letting it dry 1st

·
Need 4 Speed
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well today i feel good about the direction the project is going!!! Installed the frame slides i painted and the case protectors too, ended up putting the chrome radiator cover on that i bought last year again... It vibrated alot last year and it bugged me but i put padding pieces behind it this year. Set the headlight on . Still got to wait for better weather to finish painting the body work. mounted the headers, and exhaust had to put a little bit more heat sealant on em after install (havent been heat cured yet). Changed the engine oil while the header was off (so much easier haha) and replaced the coolant and also install water wetter. Started cleaning my k&n filter too and the other day i detailed the bike ,,,,as ice cube once song "TODAY WAS A GOOD DAY"!

·
Need 4 Speed
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
going together nicely... it runs again! put heat wrap through 3 heat cycles.... The dual Delkevic 200mm cans sound SWEET! Deep sound, slight exhaust leaks at the midpipe to can connection. even tried tightening them after they were warmed up...
front fender and tail still incomplete .... im working on it though

stickers i made at work couple years ago i never installed :)

taillight positioned and mounted .. unfortunately the other stuff doesnt have a home yet till undertail is done

i'm really liking the new accossato fuel cap.. hope it proves worthy :)

·
Need 4 Speed
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i should have put my project in the "members projects" not the" build-off"...haha

But anywho. The Bike is completed .its actually been a somewhat of a benefit being laid off this winter or else i would have been way behind on getting it done. Then again i didnt get to buy all the stuff i wanted to for it.. pulled it outside to get the spray paint to cure a little in the sun... but its only mid 50's haha

ready for the dyno tuesday.. painted all the case bolts, brackets, last couple days been a pain in the ass, the undertail in particular, the piece i been dreading to make since day one haha... But its ready to tear up the streets ! ! i'm pretty geeked.. the duals sounded sweet for the 2 minutes i road it .. i'll get video clips once its tuned..

Blacked out fasteners and my custom starter cover! haha

and with the finished front fender. cut up myself was going to put the gold screen in, decided i liked it how it is..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts