Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Impulse Buyer
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after not having a bike for over a year, the other one having been written off by a car that decided it would drive on the wrong side of the road, I finally have a new bike.
It's a 2006, Suzuki Bandit 650 K6, 19500 miles on the clock. It has a few small scuffs on the exhaust and screen, as well as on one of the engine crash protectors, but apart from that, it's in extremely good condition.
As far as what's been done to it modification wise, aside from the screen and the engine protectors, it's all stock. I washed the bike and put the rim tape on before I took any pictures, but I haven't done anything aside from that yet. I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I'm going to be making most things that I can, and improvising when possible (somehow). Plans include:

-General service (Oil, plugs, Etc.)
-Restriction (stupid UK laws)
-Custom exhaust
-Better crash protection
-Pod filters & jets
-Jack up.
-Rear hugger
-Smaller plate and tail tidy
-Indicators
-Remove the screen
-Headlight replacement
-Shorter levers
-Mirrors that don't look like bug antennae
-De-rust and repaint pillion pegs, paint other parts I feel like
-Possibly change aesthetics of the forks to make them more angular like the bike
-Bars. That shiny chrome makes my skin crawl. It might look okay on some bikes, but this is going to be dark over all, and the bars will stand out more and stop me from being able to accent areas I want to as much. I get a bit obsessed with getting the colours balanced, to the point I spent a ton of money building a mountain bike on things like a blue washer to replace a red one because there was "Too much red in one area". Yeahhhh....

I'll probably think of more things to do as I go, and half that list probably wont get done. I get sidetracked, and I'll probably end up wanting an entirely different colour scheme one day and want to rip it apart. Buttt I need to actually stick to something for once.
So, for now, that's about it. At the moment I'm just browsing ebay for things that stand out. It's a dangerous path...

Attachments

·
Impulse Buyer
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, I started working on the Bandit today. I got as much done as I could, I'm still waiting for some parts to arrive and need to order some other stuff, but I've got a bit done.
(Sorry about poor image quality, I'm only using my phone)

First, I took off the original exhaust. As I suspected, it had previously had a different can on it, and the stock one had been reattached (not very well), as soon as the two bolts holding it on (one to the pillion peg, one under the engine), it just tore off. Couldn't find my measuring tool or a tape measure, so I can't get any pipe to make the new box.
Auto part Pipe Fuel line Rust

Decided to swap out the dog bones for some slightly shorter ones. I got a friend to check and see if the bolt on the other side was turning. He assured me it wasn't. After half an hour of me turning and incredibly tight bolt, with no progress (I lost my socket extension, had to use a spanner which I could only turn about 1/4 at a time due to lack of space), I made him turn the spanner while I looked. He'd been looking at the wrong f**king bolt :angry: So, after wedging a spanner on the other side, and a slight bit of stiffness, the bolt came undone fairly easily. So I greased the bearings, put the new ones in. After that, the first real problem came about. With the stock shock links, the rear tyre sat about an inch in the air, with the front touching the floor. To get the lift kit fitted, the back would have to be lifted higher than the centre stand. So, I got my friend to push the bolts through while I lifted the back end of the bike (I realise now how heavy 440ibs is!) and it all went back together perfectly.
Auto part Tire Vehicle Engine Automotive tire

·
Impulse Buyer
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Set about sorting out the rear numberplate holder. The stock one stuck down way too much, so instead of dropping £100 or more on an undertray to replace this one, I just cut the stock one back using a rotary tool. (again, sorry for poor picture quality!)
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Rim
Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Plant Mid-size car

Took the cutting disk off the rotary tool, put the sanding drum on and sanded it back a bit. I'm out of sand paper, and I need a higher grit to get it smooth enough to get some paint on it. I also need paint :s
Automotive lighting Vehicle Light Automotive tail & brake light Car

That's about all I've done for now, aside from removing the mirrors (replacing with bar end ones to lower the overall look of the front). I'm still waiting for the new brake and clutch levers to arrive, and I need to get some crash protection ordered. I'll probably order a load of other stuff while I'm at it :/
I have my theory test booked for 18th of March, it was the soonest I could get and I have to travel 20 miles to get there :shootme: but I should be able to actually ride not too long after that :)

·
Impulse Buyer
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I did a little bit more work to the bike yesterday, not as much as I'd have liked but heyho.

I got the screen off of the front, which really help to lower the overall front height. If I want to go on a long journey, I'll just have to suck it up! I still want to get the clocks & headlight in closer to the triples, which will at least serve until I have the money for a new headlight unit.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle

The bar end mirrors came, so I tried to remove the clutch side bar end. It wouldn't budge, no matter what I did. I ended up having to drill out the rubber. When it was out, the inside of the bar was full of rust, most likely the bar ends were fitted early in the bikes life and never removed :/

Vehicle Car Family car City car Rim

I decided I'm going to put the crash protector back on the throttle side. Hopefully, in the event I crash (hopefully I don't!), it'll reduce the likelihood I need to buy a new twist-grip, which would be highly likely if I lay it down on the right hand side.

In the near future I'll get the swing-arm off and paint it black, it doesn't really fit with the rest of the bike at the moment. The same goes for the forks and bars (although I'll probably end up replacing the bars, I don't like the position of these much, I'll likely get some flat-bars)

I set about taking off the centre stand to make room for the exhaust I plan on building. I've not had a centre stand on my previous bikes, I don't really like the idea of them, not too sure why :/ I guess they just seem more unstable than a side stand in my mind :s

Auto part Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Not including all the time it took to wash the grease and road grime off of my hands, it only took 10 minutes to get off. The left hand bolt was pretty tight, I ended up laying on the ground and pushing it with my foot, but after the initial stiffness it wasn't too bad.

·
Impulse Buyer
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Decided to cut into the exhaust, see what was going in there and if there was anything I could salvage. No wonder stock pipes are so restrictive! Not only is there a honeycomb-type restrictor fitted to slow down the gasses as they enter the silencer, it then went to a chamber with 3 pipes, two of which just re-circulated or went nowhere, and the exit pipe of the exhaust was about half the size of the link pipe between the downpipes and silencer.

Auto part Soil

Circle Floor

One of the cutting disks decided to explode and hit me in the d**k, which resulted in a few minutes of swearing and assaulting inanimate objects. Luckily I'd decided to wear the trousers I use for airsoft, which are pretty strong material, so it was more blunt force and shock than slicing action. (although I still think "Prosthetic penis", would make an excellent, albeit slightly creepy, superhero name)

I was thinking about using the stock end can without any of the internals, so it was more of a straight through unit. I couldn't get in to cut through the pipe with anything, and the prospect of drill countless holes in a circle around the pipe didn't appeal to me, so I racked the welder to a higher setting and just melted through the plate.

Auto part Audio equipment Automotive wheel system Rim Wheel

That's all that's been done for the moment. Hopefully I can get around to ordering the stuff to make the exhaust soon, and get some paint ordered at the same time. I'm also investing in some higher quality cutting disks :shootme:

·
Impulse Buyer
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I've finally got around to building the exhaust. I started off with a 1m length of 45mm ID pipe. I don't have a bench saw or pipe cutters, so I measured from the end of the pipe, marked, until I had four measured points, and then joined them with tape wrapped around the pipe, cutting along the line.
Machine Roof

I also don't have a bench grinder, so I clamped a piece of pipe in some mole grips, which in turn I clamped in the workbench, switched the cutting disk for a flap disk and set about shaping it
Rain gauge

Some electrical tape helped to get a visual idea of what it would look like when I welded it together. It also made it easier to weld. Instead of having to hold the two pieces in place with all manner of clamps (I have a hand held mask, so no free hands for holding things). I simply peeled back part of the tape, and put enough of a weld to hold the two pieces of pipe together.
Machine tool Tool accessory Metalworking hand tool

The end with the clamp on is going into the downpipes, so it doesn't really matter that it's ugly. The pipe that I'm using is only 45mm ID, whereas the downpipes are a 52mm(ish) ID, and the pipe isn't thick enough to mean it was a snug fit. So I cut a 2 inch section of pipe, cut that in half length ways, and then the two pieces opened up slightly so they would fit around the outside of the intended exhaust pipe. They were then welded on to form a kind of spacer/shim, then groung back to the right thickness. When it goes into the downpipe, it will all be sealed with exhaust paste as well to stop any leaks.

·
Impulse Buyer
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I set about designing and building the exit pipes. I decided I might as well go balls-out with a triple exit, I haven't seen one on a Bandit, hell I haven't seen one on a bike along these designs, but I'm probably wrong. I cut the front plate from the mud-guards off my racing mower as I wasn't using them, then spent about 2 hours and a couple of dozen rotary tool cutting disks cutting the three holes for the pipes. The got welded together before hand, slotted into the plate, and then the back (which will be on the inside of the box and not visible) was welded, pipe-to-plate to stop any leaks and make sure they were secure.
Wood Metal
I then made a template for the inside of the box. I needed to leave room for baffling, and so decided to make the outside of the box square, but join the triple pipes to the singular pipe with two trapezium-shaped plates (this time cut from an old barbecue). At this point, I decided to change the design and forgot to take pictures.
This is a picture of the current progress. It's still in it's rough stage, it will be ground back, wrapped in the baffling material, and places inside a box.
Auto part

Hopefully I'll get it finished tomorrow if I manage to finish my college work. I've also finished up the tail tidy, the rear indicators and number plate are all in place and the indicators are wired up and working.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts