Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dr jellyfinger Zen myself are in the middle of negotiations with a guy selling a 2005 Suzuki DRZ 400 s. Its got 14,000 miles, a clean North Carolina title, it has been garage kept, is basically all stock, supposedly in excellent mechanical condition, but cosmetically is far from perfect. There's surface rust on several spots on the bike including the 4 tubes the exhaust pipes and the frame, and the muffler is pretty beat up as well. It also has non OEM replacement side panels as well as a non OEM headlight mass. Because of these replacement parts it's making me think that it got down lay down harder or more frequently than the seller is admitting. He is asking $2000. Here is the Craigslist ad for reference followed by all of the pictures he sent K of all the damages.
http://norfolk.en.craigslist.org/mcy/4250966439.html

Personally I don't think I'm comfortable paying anymore then 1700 dollars for this bike but maybe that's just me and the fact that I would be buying this site unseen as dr. Jelly fingers would be driving to meet the seller as well as transporting the bike back up to me. what do y'all think? Is $2000 still a really good deal or do you think I could do much better? The whole point in buying this bike right now is because it would be such a good deal and I don't think that I would find 1 for this cheap ever again. I need a bike that's good to go and won't give me any problems so I can just put an electronic shifter on it put, my prosthetic leg on and learn how to ride again on a lightweight low maintenance bike. If I end up having to do a bunch of work to this bike or having to put a lot of money into it then it completely defeats the purpose of buying it in the first place. Thanks in advance.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Sorry I didn't get back to you the other evening, some shit came up. That bike is just right. The price isn't too bad, the wear and tear is FAR from what I would expect of a DRZ ridden hard and put away wet over and over. I would happily pay the asking price and make for certain the guy includes the GS wheels and spare bits he offered in the ad. Looks to me like you would get away like a bandit for $2k.

I guess one of the reasons I never got back to you too is that I couldn't really think of anything pressing to say about the DRZ's. They are, well, in a twisted sick sense of all that is motorcycling, perfect. ;)

Go for it man, seriously, you will never regret it. BUY THIS BIKE NOW. :D

And Dr. J., that is what I've grown to know CF to be, this place is still as great as always. :)

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's cool. See problem right now is the gs500 wheels and the stock knobbyback tire are no longer part of the deal. I guess it has something to do with how the seller is going to transport the parts, but either way I'm not too worried about it if it means I can lower the price um and it saves K 50 percent of the driving time.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
No worries on the GS wheels as they are a pain in the ass to fit anyway. :thumbsup:

The DRZ's do look good with a slingshot wheel out back though with a GS wheel up front. :D

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After looking into it, running gs500 wheels didn't seem worth it. One of the main points of me getting a dual sport to begin with was how low light eight they are which I'll need working for now. meds are kick in strong and I can't stay awake. everyone please feel free to post what you think about the price.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
dude i dont know. seeing those pics i would keep looking. that bike looks like it sat outside for awhile and being in the salt air, i wouldnt buy anything from the shore because of how hard it is on steel and AL. Pitting on the forks. the exhaust does rust up but not that bad. The corrosion on the head/cyl etc. The frame looks good where the boots go which tells me it wasnt ridden off road much or with MX boots BUT im sure its been ridden in the sand and probably salt water. That means all suspension and wheel bearings could be trash. The fact that the fork boots are off of that thing means the front end has been off. hopefully just for seals, but maybe for something else. Also whatever rear light they have hacked on there is pushing the rear fender up. You shouldnt see the subframe under the fender.

here are a few drz's for sale locally.

http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/mcy/4181679351.html

http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/mcy/4255751566.html

I have seen good ones go for $1500-$1800 stock. If you are getting an S model just make sure its 2002 or newer. The suspension on the 00-01 wasnt very adjustable. If you find an E model(which wasnt street legal stock) it will be fine no matter what year. Older ones are actually better cause after 05 or so they were basically the S model with different lights, no gauges etc. Earlier ones had an FCR carb, larger diameter exhaust, good cams, higher compression etc.

So in short I would keep looking. DRZs bring fairly high resale values but you get what you pay for. You might buy that bike for 2k but spend x amount in travel to get it, then $500 in parts just to get it in decent shape. In 2003 i got my 02 S model from a dealer with 170 miles on it for $4500. I actually traded them a car i got for free and paid $3500 out of pocket. Resale of a clean used 02 S model is about 2-2500 around here. In most bikes mods don't help the value too much. Mainly MX bikes. But drz the mods actually really help the used value. Almost everyone mods them. If i didnt have all the mods on my bike it would probably sell for 2k to 2500.

Model changes - 02 got the reb/comp dampening adjustements on the fork and shock. 03 got a new cam chain tensioner. 06 got another update to the cct as well as a change in the handle controls(older ones like mine have a kill switch that you push up, off road or SM when you raise your knee you can kill the bike...) Other than that every year they get new colors and thats it. Thats why older ones bring decent money but new ones don't. Mileage doesn't matter. I would be more worried about buying an 02 with 1000 miles on it than one with 40k on it.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The game plan was to pick it up for $1500 or maybe 16 at the most and to walk if we couldn't get there. it looks THAT bad to you huh? I really didn't think it is was in that bad a shape. anyone else think its rough and not. worth it at $1500?

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the input too. it seems like a really good deal to me but I've never really shopped around for dual sport before. I don't remember seeing them go for anywhere near this cheap and that's why I figured I would jump on this especially if I could get it at a lower price and when he was already asking. its a tough situation cause Dr.JellyFingers has been talking to the guy for me and henssidnif I don't want it has gonna buy it and flip it at the shop he works at. I really don't want an amazing deal like I THOUGHT this was to slip by.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
i dont know if its a great deal though. Yes its cheap but that corrosion doesnt affect only the metal, but also the connectors/wiring etc. It could be a money pit. Really spending a couple hundred more on a bike not from the shore will be worth it in the long run I think.

look here is an example. this is an E model so it has better cams, higher compresison, fcr carb, larger exhaust.

http://altoona.craigslist.org/mcy/4259820260.html

stock graphics still in good shape. The E model wasnt street legal stock but lots of them have been converted. I see them go for under 2k whenever they pop up for sale, with titles/tags on them in VA. I would shop around and not hop on this deal unless its 1k.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
I am currently pulling parts off my bike to make it cheaper. Right now with everything but the skid plate and big bore ill take 3k. I might be able to get it around 2600 with the fcr, pipe and cams still on it. If it goes back to stock motor wise probably around 2k. You interested at any of these prices? I'm trying to make a quick sale to get cash for another bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts