Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey CF,

I joined and lurked this forum about 10 years ago when I bought my first street motorcycle - a semi-crashed 2005 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F. It looks like this will be my second ever post to this forum, my first being a thread I started as a noobie rider asking about safety gear way back when. I usually look down on my past self, but my head was in the right place that time, as I'm still on 2 wheels today! And wouldn't you know it - of the 4 motorcycles currently sitting in my garage, I still have that old beginner bike. Since we're all in Covid isolation, and I'm tired of looking at that old ugly relic of the 80s, it's time to finally get around to starting that fighter build I wanted to do a decade ago.

So here's what I started with - totally stock, and overfaired:

Pulled off the fairing, drilled and mounted MX bars, mounted turn signals to the radiator, and here's where it sits right now:

This is only my starting point. These basic changes alone made such a huge difference, both to its looks, as well as comfort and control, with the upright wide handlebars. But there's still lots of work to do.

I've been on a bit of a parts ordering spree since then, and one of the next changes I need to make is with the tail light:

This tail light unit fits a Yamaha FZ-07 FZ-09 MT-07 MT-09, and this particular style has the turn signals built into it.

I'm still big on safety, so I really like how large and visible it is, without it being a big ugly bulky thing. It fits perfectly under the seat, and I'll be getting to chopping the frame this weekend!

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so my to do list might have taken some priority over this build last weekend, and same with scheduled maintenance, as this neglected machine has 23k miles on it now. But I did get some chopping done!

Straightening this out:

To something like this:

So the top tube follows the bottom rim of the seat, and closes that unsightly gap:

Damn this engine looks truly tiny without stuff covering it up. Busting out the welder this week, more interesting progress soon!

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After a failed attempt with a flux core wire welder that I won't bother sharing, I re-cut the frame, and hauled the bike to somebody with a TIG machine who actually knows how to weld:

Obligatory front end maintenance:

Fabbed a bracket for the new Speedo:

16 gauge steel pinch band around the ignition cylinder

Old bulky garbage that belongs in a 90s sedan vs new digital goodness:

Koso DB-01RN multifunction meter

New headlight:

7" ZMOON LED Projector headlight from Amazon, brackets from eBay (caferacerx)

Whole machine is starting to take shape:

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the summer came by, and I was able to get out of the house a lot more than I anticipated when going into this project. But I was able to get it pretty much finished, and took it on a couple trips while the weather was nice! Here's where I left off:

Re-angling this bit that the seat sets on.

Making a complicated section of square tubing.

Tail light and License Plate Bracket mounted.

Next was a latch for the seat. Shaped flat bar and mounted a latch from a KTM RC390 on it for quick release.

Started with this bolt:

Borrowed the passenger seat from my Triumph to copy

Installed on the Ninja seat pan.

VHT Roll Bar Paint

Shined up

Wired up the electrics in the headlight housing

What does everyone tend to plug the speedo hole with when going digital? I tapped the interior, threaded a screw in it, and put some heat shrink around it:

Relocated the voltage regulator to the side of the airbox:

I did this by heating up nuts with a torch, and pressing them onto the plastic to weld them on airtight.

Took it out for a quick photoshoot:

Trimmed the front fender

Also mocked up the side panels using C.A.D. (Cardboard Aided Design)

New turn signals, they have a white daytime running light, so I added some switchback drivers so they'll have the white DTRL that turns off when the turn signal blinks amber. Morimoto XChange:

And then places started reopening, summer came in full swing, and I pretty much abandoned the rest of the project. I chucked the bike in the bed of my pickup, along with my Triumph, drove it to Montana, gave the keys to my girlfriend (this is partly/mostly her bike), and we rode through the most scenic road on earth - Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park.

So that's about how it's sitting currently. Just need to finish it off with some side panels. But I've kind of lost interest in the build once again. Nobody here knows anything about getting 90% done with a build and never finishing it, right?

Had a good time with this project, and did a full tune-up and rejet while I was at it, so it's pretty much a brand new bike, 23000 miles young! The girlfriend likes it, it's no longer embarrassing to be seen riding, and I don't get tired of looking at it in my garage anymore!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts