Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sick 'n' Twis7ed
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, bought this tail light for my build thinking i would be able to just splice wires together to get the thing working.....

only problem is there is no wires and i have no idea which pin does what.

Any help on this would be great.

·
SHOWUSYATITS
5,378 Posts
Is it an LED tailight?
If it's not you can use a normal multimeter to check for continuity. Place the probes on the terminals. If you get continuity between any two terminals, one is a positive, one is a negative. Keep testing till you find the 2 terminals that do not have continuity...those are your two positives.
If it is an LED one you need a either a specific multimeter for testing LED circuits or you need a specific continuity tester for LEDs. However I am unsure how well the cheap LED testers work when testing a curcuit with multiple LEDs. I have only ever used one in a short course I did at TAFE and we tested single LED's....
One thing you can do is to hook up some jumper wires to a battery and briefly test the terminals of the tailight.
Otherwise if you can take it apart, do so and trace the circuit back to the terminals.
I hope that makes sense....

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Tha test idea is probly tha fastest fer ya mate ,props ta Kaos fer tha electrical adivce he bin dishin out recently GOOD BLOKE!

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
The three pins are:

1. Ground
2. constant power(running light)
3. power from switched source (brake light triggered by foot or hand)

You just have to figure out which is which - and I wouldn't assume that those factory leds have polarity protection.

·
Sick 'n' Twis7ed
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the help guys (wiring is one thing that confuses the hell out of me). Only taken about 4 hours to do this post thanks to my computer spazzing out!!! :2up:

I think thanks, to all your posts i have figured which pin is for what.

now my next issue is what wire does what on the original loom on my blade ('96)??!! Planning on using the original connector and connecting the wires on to the zx6r light pins somehow.

pictures of the connector i am planning to use are below...

once agian any help much appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts