Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my missus had an 06 up until last year, I am pretty familiar with this fun spunky motor and always wanted to strip it nekkid...but was forbidden. So this summer I find one that was wrecked and left sitting for 3 years..forks snapped off, but looked perfectly salvageable. Only paid 300 bucks....so the fun is starting!
Stripper her down, cleaned it up, sorted out a spare 05 ZX-10 front end....test run as soon as I get the cables rerouted and the dent repaired tank back on.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Nice little collection you have going on there

·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...my wife says it is an obsession...but it keeps me off the streets at night and oout of the bars...so she is still OK with it.

·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Updates.
The Bike: 2008 Kawasaki EX-650R
Frame: Stock, de-tabbed, stock swinging arm. Stock foot peg brackets shortened, stock brake/shifter pedals.
Body work: Stock tank, side panels, seat shortened. Tool tube/trunk for Junk by PVC by owner, tail cover from 2000 Suzuki GSXF-600 Katana, one off AL under-tail, rear hugger made from front fender off 1983 Yamaha 900 Seca with one off AL bracket. Front fender skirts 2005 ZX-10R, center plastic trimmed stock 650R with one off AL transition pieces. One off radiator screen over repaired stock radiator. One off combo AL bracket for headlight, relocated instruments, & horn. 3rd Eye blind spot mirrors with one off AL bar end mounts.
Paint: SEM Satin Black by owner, misc. brackets powder coated satin black.
Engine: Stock but for de-snorkeled air box, removed PAIR valve/tubing, removed secondary throttle bodies.
Exhaust: Stock 650R header, 2005 ZX-10R Ti mid-pipe with patented baffle installed, outlet made from portion of stock 650R header with custom SS tips welded on. Mounts by owner.
Electronics: Li Iron battery, stock loom shortened in back, ECU reflash, stock meters and switchgear, Custom Dynamics LED signals/combo brake and tail, twin 55w Halogen farm tractor headlights. Ignition switch relocated to inside frame near neck.
Front End: 2005 ZX-10R forks, triples, wheel, and brakes. Modified steering stem, Chinese EBay Ohlin's knock off side mount steering damper, custom steering stops and damper mount by owner. Goodridge braided SS lines with 2010 ZX-6R radial master cylinder and lever. EBay hardened AL drag style handlebar, Tusk 7/8" bar risers with height adjustable shims by owner. (Crap Bridgestone to be changed out soon with Pirelli Diablo.)
Rear End: Stock 650R wheel and brakes. (Crap Bridgestone to be changed out soon with Pirelli Diablo.) Goodridge braided SS lines with stock master cylinder. Ohlin's fully adjustable shock with internal reservoir.
Thanks: Want to give a big shout of praise to my awesome welders; Timmy P. and Valentin. Dan at Metron Powder coating, the whole gang at Experience Powersports, my nephew Josh for bodywork, Myler's Radiator Repair, Wally at Signs Now in Moses Lake, and Daryl at Moses Lake Upholstery.

So here is the back story on this one:
I have not always been a fan of 'Tribute" machines, though I fully understand and empathize with those that have done them to pay homage to a fallen friend/family member/or for a cause in general. But I changed my view. In the summer of 2010, Cary Morlan was riding this bike with a group of friends and one of his sons, and tragically lost control and left the pavement at the only set of corners on N. Stratford Road outside of Moses Lake
His injuries were serious, but not necessarily life threatening, however the fact that he had been living with Hepatitis since his tour in 'Nam meant his liver could not handle the serious meds he needed to fight of the pain and ensuing infections. Cary's son's kept the small local riding community apprised of the situation, and how their father met the inevitable with courage and even a bit of humor, knowing he had beaten the odds for years. Cary passed away a couple of weeks after the accident on 07/06/2010. R.I.P.' Linemender'. (10/03/1950 - 07/06/2010)
In what dawned on me as a curious, perhaps cruel irony, is that the location Cary went down was only about 30 steps away from where our wonderful daughter Sage died. (10/12/1976 - 06/18/2005). Many know the story on that; how a sudden and severe allergic reaction caused her to lose focus and crash her mother's SV-650, ten minutes later going into severe anaphylaxis. Two teams of medics took over from my CPR efforts but were unable to save her.
That tiny section of road, with two corners in the middle of nowhere, holds a huge amount of meaning for at least two families. We could not go through there for years, but now it is just a bittersweet whisper with a short stab of pain as we pass it on regular occasions.
This 650 of Cary's sat for 3 years, totaled, in the elements, decaying, until the day his boys decided to get rid of that reminder. Knowing I do some work with bikes in any condition, they made me an offer I could not refuse, and soon I saw the potential in the hulk of remains. As I proceeded over the winter months of 2013/2104, I started to play out the scenario I had so often wished had taken place; creating a one-off bike for my daughter.
Right after she became a licensed rider, she talked with me about building her a custom machine much like several that had passed through my garage door, and this bike has turned out be so like her; loud, slightly brash, but a whole lot of fun to be around and easy to love even with a few flaws. I decided to commemorate both Sage and Cary, with just a small twist on a verse from one of my favorite songs/bands of all time, Kansas.
" 'Cary' on my wayward 'ones', there'll be peace when you are done."

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Amazing story and bike, I know this bike's past owner and your daughter would be proud of what you did!

I really love these bikes as a platform for a custom build, every time I see one on here I run over to craigslist to see if there are any cheap kicking around :D

·
ER6Ninja Warrior
198 Posts
Love the bike. I'm still kind of curious what is going on with the tail. It looks AWESOME. But could you post another picture of it? I am slowly making my ER6N "mine". And this looks like something I could get behind.

·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Fellers...
Yup, and I-2 TechniX, otherwise known as a parrallel twin. the SLeeper, I will take more pics and post hem or email them to you if you prefer. It is pretty basic and not that technical...and probably not the prefferred route I took. The aluminum undertray was a no brainer, and I kept cutting the Katana fairing down and down to make it look less bulbous. It sits on top of the frame, leaves more gaps than I would want, but is bolted solidly. I wanted to cover the area between it and the back of the seat with a padded hump like an old cafe bike, but I had trouble making the transitions and retaining removeabilty of the seat function. After a Bourbon fueled dream I just decided to throw a piece of pvc on the spot and it fit perfectlly! Plus it gives me room for some papers and tools as needed.

F'dup....it would be interesting to find out how you knew Cary...I see his boy Eric regularly and yes, I hope to honor the memories of those no longer with us.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Thanks Fellers...

F'dup....it would be interesting to find out how you knew Cary...I see his boy Eric regularly and yes, I hope to honor the memories of those no longer with us.
Sorry man, to clarify I do not know him. Just saying I know they'd be proud...

·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh sorry, my screw up on syntax and punctuation. That will teach me to read these posts at a brains sucking day at work!

Thank you the same.....and more.

·
ER6Ninja Warrior
198 Posts
Where'd you get that exhaust? I tried running a straight pipe with a "turn out" without any support and ended up breaking a header collar... I know... Stupid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts