Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 bandit, that I'm doing a tail swap on, for a zx6r tail. I just got the light and realized I will probably need the harness/plug from the zx6r to clip into the tailight, and splice onto the Bandits harness

(thats what im suppose to do , right? - i'm learning, I've NEVER messed with bikes or any electrical harness, but its all part of my project and google/you guys are my guides.)

my question is... is that the only way to do this swap?

anybody have any idea if the 2009+ Zx6r taillight harness is part of the entire wiring harness as ONE piece? (god i hope not)

EDIT: i think i found what I was looking for, the wire part from teh zx6r is called the "brake light switch"? I am not really sure, the detail in the pics doesnt show the switch/plug... and theres only 2 cables?...hmm..4$, ill buy it and find out i guess

edit edit: i doubt thats what im looking for... dammit.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mate the 2dn photo is your rear break switch only. just put that thing back where it was and dont worry about it.

Find on your banditi original tail, you will find a connector with 3 plug on it the will control your tail + brake light

basicaly :

1 newtral - norbally a black wire. or will sit on the plug of set to the positive wires
so newtral wire sill be a horizontal plug and positive wires will be a vertical wires ( does it makes sense ? )

than you will find the 2 + wire, one will control your tail light the other one will be your brake light (front and back)

play around and you sould be able to figure that our

would not worry about buying a kwaki plug, just get some connector (female) to suit the sizes of the male connectors on your kwaki tail light. cheap arse crimping toll cut the wires of the bandit tail plug & crimp the connectors in & for the sake of it, put some heat shrink over the connectors to avoid short circut

Let me kn if u get stuck

Cheers dude
2nd pic was from ebay-just searching for the kawisaki plug... ive realized now that it is not what I want.

Your post is what i needed to read... so, you say just find any female connector plug that will fit into zx64 the tailight and crimp the bandits wires into it-play around until it works?

makes sense now... wow. thank you (still having trouble finding that plug or shit that fits... maybe if i take it to a store tomorrow like radio shack)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wont do any harm as long as you isolate them well.

crimping tool, female connectors & shink wrap ...

Dont forget to post up pics as you go along
Ok, I was playing with those female connectors, and barely got them to fit, they might be touching/rubbing at the ends, which i will use duct tape I suppose to break contact from each other, nothing else is thin enough.

then i'll crimp the wires into it.

great advice.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Or you could just use your existing bandit plug and put the zx wires into it and make it work. Just a thought

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was that the smallest size u could find ?

they look standard side and bigger than the what is needed in there

correct me if I am wrong but the red line is your female connedtor & the green line if the tail light Male connector ?

you should be able to find ready insulated connectors
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PT4626

or get some head shrink wrap
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=WH5524

but try to find a "mini" or half size female connector. any electronic store should have it

look at the original pic posted up top this thread, to better see the light without the female connectors placed in

all the prongs from the zx6 tailight are male.

this is my bandit's plug,

(hehe, i just like posting Hi-res pics) lol

i took a quick pic of the holes in the bandits plug, but flash from camera washed it out, so Ill post it later for the hell of it once i get off work

1 - 7 of 7 Posts