Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
been a lurker on here for a long time now without posting, but have learned a lot from the folks here over the years. When I recently posted looking for some machine work, it seems as though there is some interest in my current Triumph Bonneville project. It's not a streetfighter, but I do hope some elements will be of interest to the community here.

This is my 4th Triumph and 3rd Bonneville. My current daily rider is a 2004 Triumph Thunderbird Sport, but I've always been a huge fan of the current Triumph modern twin range. Like many folks here, I spend way too much time browsing craigslist, so when I came across a guy desperate to get rid of a crashed 2010 T100, I jumped on it. He bought it as a project from the guy who crashed it, but was in over his head and couldn't get it running. I ended up picking it up for peanuts with no idea what i was going to do with it. I got it home, used some spares I had to replace crashed and bent items, went through the wiring harness and reconnected some mysteriously disconnected wires, and it fired right up on the 16 month old gas. Now that I had a runner, I had to decide what to do with it... after some deliberation and way too many beers, I decided to tear it down and build something cool with it. My goal is to create my idea of what Triumph should have built if they wanted the Bonneville to compete with the Ducati GT1000/Sport Classic range. I want to modernize it while also paying homage to the Triumph twin heritage. Classic scalloped tank will stay and classic seat materials will be utilized. Other than that, I'm hoping to take the bike into the 21st century with modern USD forks, LED lights all around, modernized electrical system, and motogadget gauge and m-lock unit.

I'm just about 50 days into the build at this point with my goal to finish it by the 3rd week of september to ride in the Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride, a charity ride sponsored by Triumph and raising money for prostate cancer research. My dad is a prostate cancer survivor (diagnosed and surgically treated at age 44) so it is a very meaningful ride for me and my family.

Also, forgot to mention, this build is taking place in my NYC backyard and all work up until this point has been done by me. I am far from a professional bike builder and build conditions are far from ideal, but I'm trying to work with what I've got.

Day 1 rolling it through my apartment under the cover of darkness:

Day 2 condition after replacing some of the crashed parts and getting it started:

picked up a spare frame to chop and hoop (same year and clear title so no issues)

chopped the rear passenger peg mounts, rear master cylinder bracket, and side cover brackets

fabbed up mounts and a bracket to utlize a harley brembo rear master cylinder so as to keep the frame open in the rear

also integrated an LED tail into the rear frame hoop and coated the frame in rustoleum bedliner (which actually closely matches my OEM frame on my TBS)

also showing the wide rear wheel. 5.5" rim running a 170 tire

The original plan was to install Thruxton OEM lowers, brake, and wide alloy wheels, but after finding out that my original forks were slightly bent, my plans changed and I ended up picking up a set of SRAD 750 forks. This choice was made as I wanted to stick with the Thruxton 320mm single floating rotor and a smaller gsxr 600 4 piston caliper that would be better matched to the chassis. I couldn't have done the rebuild without the USD fork rebuild thread here on customfighters!!

I chopped off the fender mounts and right side caliper mount and rebuilt and painted the forks with Cerakote gun coat.

This is pretty much where I'm at today. One of the members here is machining me a rotor spacer to properly align the rotor to the caliper and allow for spoke clearance. Additional plans include an oil in downtube conversion to eliminate the ugly stock oil cooler, motogadget motoscope mini and m-lock, low profile bar switches, fiberglass rear seatpan, rear tray and mudguard, and custom upholstered seat utilizing a new reproduction seatcover for a 1970s T140. Hope you guys like the build!

Cheers,
Jason

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Danbuc did the Distinguished Gentalmen's Ride last year. You should see if he's going again. I'm sure he'll stop in here seeing as he has a Thruxton and will be intrigued by your build.

Keep up the good work duder.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Danbuc did the Distinguished Gentalmen's Ride last year. You should see if he's going again. I'm sure he'll stop in here seeing as he has a Thruxton and will be intrigued by your build.

Keep up the good work duder.

Awesome, it's a great cause and an amazing experience. I participated last year as well.

Also, as far as the in frame oil cooling, I basically welded everything up and smeared jb weld marine over all the joints, then just water tested to see if any leaks. Only completed one downtube thus far, but if it's water tight I'm hoping it'll be oil tight

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sub'd.

I'm gonna stick around and see how long it takes for the rotor to fall off the front of this thing. :D

Curious to see what kinda seat/tail you're gonna run. But looking at that last pic makes me think a set of high pipes would look slick. What are your exhaust plans?

I have two sets of high pipes in the spare parts bin, but going with cocktail shakers running under the frame.

Seat will be this material

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Repped for that badass taillight, and yep, I'm subbin'

Thanks! It was a serious pain in the ass. Bought a pricey 1/4" flush mount led street rod 3rd tail light kit only to find out that the only part of it I could use was the lens as the rigid LED board supplied couldn't fit inside the 1" hoop tubing. I then improvised using some radiantz led strips I had laying around by doubling them up and sealing it inside 1" clear heat shrink tubing.

·
str8 stoopid
914 Posts
Bought a pricey 1/4" flush mount led street rod 3rd tail light kit only to find out that the only part of it I could use was the lens as the rigid LED board supplied couldn't fit inside the 1" hoop tubing.
This is the exact reason I have a divider cabinet full of various LED arrays. Not because it's a good idea to have different options laying around but because I've had a lot of "well fuck, that won't work, time to order something different." Moments.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This morning I had to run out to the suburbs to help a buddy check out an E39 BMW and happened to pass a West Marine, so figured this afternoon was as good a time as any to start on the fiberglass work. Haven't done much fiberglass work in the past, so I'm sure it is nowhere near as tidy as other folks on here. Started out by making the inner pan. The rear fender, plate mount, and turn signals will also be glassed in from underneath.

(there was a slow moving line at West Marine so couldn't resist buying a coozie from the display next to the register to keep my beer cold as I worked)

used a base of aluminum tape and waxed several times with carnuba wax

popped out

roughly trimmed and placed in the frame

had a broken plastic front fender sitting around so figured I'd try to flatten it down and see if I can use that instead of the metal fender as it'll be easier. A c-clamp and heat gun worked nicely to flatten the profile in the rear to better match the flat underside of the fiberglass tray.

I'm not sold on it and think I'll go back to the wider steel rear fender.

that's all for today

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
working from home today, i was able to fit in a few hours of fiberglassing.

taped up the whole bike with two layers of painters tape and then a layer of aluminum tape

fiberglass time

trimmed

shoved some old tshirts in there to get a rough idea how the seat cover would look

The front of the seat cover where it meets the tank needs some cutting and restitching to work, but I think the rest of the seat cover will fit relatively well. Now have to figure out foam.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's looking sharp,bud. I agree, the tiny rear fender is awful tiny. I know it would be hard since you're using a GSXR front end, but chrome fenders front and rear would look at home on this bike.
I'm going to stick fenderless for the front, but am debating a chrome fender for the rear.

trimmed up some old seat foam and installed the seat cover. It's on there semi-permanently with spray adhesive as I couldn't find any pop rivets to secure the upholstery to the pan.

Not entirely happy with the fit at the tank, but am going to fettle with it a bit and hopefully get it a little better.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Not too shabby! My only suggestion would be to add some pigment to the resin that is the same general color you plan to paint the final product. That way if you get a rock chip or scratch it hides well since the color goes all the way through. Pigment is cheap and a little goes LONG way.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not too shabby! My only suggestion would be to add some pigment to the resin that is the same general color you plan to paint the final product. That way if you get a rock chip or scratch it hides well since the color goes all the way through. Pigment is cheap and a little goes LONG way.

Ah, I didn't even think of that!

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
You bike speaks for it's self...

But your dog is freaking bad ass.. lol...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One of the benefits of posting your project ;)

Are you making your own fender?

Haha, point taken.

Not sure about the rear fender. Have half of a steel front fender from a Triumph Legend sitting around that better matches the rear tire width. Might section it so it follows the contour of the under tail and use it rather than making a fiberglass fender.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts