Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, great site you guys have going!

I have a small (i really hope it is anyway) problem, i got squished and the front fairing is cracked and the front turn signal poked a hole in the right fairing, however the bike didnt go down and its not really bad. Anyway I figure its a good excuse/time to make it a fighter, especially after looking around this place but...

The bike still turns on but the tach at first just jumped around instead of being smooth and now on some starts it randomly doesn't turn on, it idles fine but i have no power, and on some other random starts its fine until i give it more than half throttle or hit 50mph, at which point the tach cuts to zero and i loose power.

If anyone can help me with this i would really appreciate it. Even if you guys cant i still think this is a great sight! and ill let you know how the build progresses (after i can get it to run regularly)

Thank you in advance for your help and advice guys:party-smiley:

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
Welcome to CF. make an intro thread with pics of the bike.

what make/model. which side was affected?

Check all the usual safety switch wiring(clutch, kickstand, fall sensor, etc) also on later model FI bikes, the gauges must make contact with the ECU. If not all sorts of electronical weirdness can occur. check the connections and/or see if any of the wires have been cut/shorted out

·
Registered
740 Posts
My initial guess is that the fall sensor might have got screwed up. Their location varies by bike but it's a little gravity switch that kills the electronics if the bike is at more than a 60* angle. If it's been knocked off it's upright mount or damaged, it can mess with things.

Electrical problems on modern EFI bikes can be very strange, one malfunctioning or damaged sensor can cause all sorts of wacky problems you'd think would be totally unrelated.

On most EFI Kawi's there's a self-diagnostic feature, grounding some wire on the ECU. On mine it's a yellow wire under the seat that isn't connected to anything. Connect a jumper to ground and turn the key on. If any malfunction codes were stored it will blink them out via the FI light. Your owner's manual should list what each code means.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts