Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
addict
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive been interested in this for a long time...shame ohlins hasnt been working on it. no demand
If everything he says about the safety factor is true, i have a feeling this might change in the next ten years...

it seems manufactures have about reached the limit to the amount of power they can safely deliver to a single rear wheel on a street bike, the next logical step seems to be awd

and im so ready for that lol

·
addict
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They make some sick mountain bikes with the same concept

Hub motors for a motorcycle would be EXPENSIVE lol but would ultimately be the best once the tech catches...
Fully computer controlled doing exactly what you need when you need...think fly by wire in fighter jets

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Isn't an electric hub motor a drawback due to the increase in sprung weight? I suppose motor weights are coming down, and you can use regen braking (making the brake system lighter, or replacing it entirely), but it seems like frame-mounted motors would always allow lighter wheels (and easy motor-wheel drive speed change).

Granted, they are appealing from an engineering simplicity (usually a good thing in iteself) and space-savings perspective. Especially if doing a driven front wheel. I wonder if you could do a 'hybrid' with an electric hub front (for off line torque) and conventional engine rear, with no direct connection between the two? Seems like with enough computing power to balance the ends you could, but they don't do it for cars (barring a few homebrews I've heard of).

·
addict
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you've never heard of the porsche 918? front drive electric, rear drive 4.6l 600+hp v8

using the front wheel separate from the rear is what i was talking about with the drive by wire, all computer controlled connected to your traction control computer to give he best results in a given sinario... and i think id would best be used to hold a line and pull hard out of a corner, i would assume it would be nearly useless for hard launches due strictly to the fact that if you launch a bike well the front end loses nearly or all of its grip (aka wheelie) even if the tire doesnt leave the ground

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Never paid much attention to how all the various high end hybrids work, nope. Looks like the Porsche is exactly what I was thinking of.

Yer right, on a motorcycle it wouldn't help launches much, forgot about wheel lift. Shame. Although, wouldn't torquing the front wheel tend to bring the rear up / front down? That might be interesting in itself.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
haven't they been trying to do this with dirt bikes for years (decades maby), without much success? besides on the track i don't see much benefit if any. i know it doesn't really seem like it when you watch a race on tv but when you come outta corner your picking the bike up and getting on the gas as hard as you can soo.... wheres the front tire? just barely skimming the asphalt. how bout mid corner? nope no benefit there either... well not if your doing it right anyways. if you really hold your bars like they're baby chickens you will feel them oscillating back and forth why?.. cuz the front tire is just skimming the ground. my point is the only time on the track that your front tire has any meaningful traction is under breaking and corner entry which is exactly when your are not on the throttle. then there is downshifting what happens when you blip the throttle is the front tire gonna try to accelerate you when you really want to slow down further complicating an already complicated.....maneuver (?)

·
addict
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i agree, it may not make much difference if any on a track...

but i would envision it averting certain doom on the road in adverse conditions for inexperienced riders to the same effect as traction control and abs.

also it may make for a good training tool due to what he was saying about it making it easier to hold a line and how it reacted on corner exit

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
on the road sure,
but it just kinda sounded to me like it took away all your feedback from the front end

1 - 15 of 15 Posts