Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
old fart
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yan, i used a hydraulic jack to spread the frame so i could get the swing arm in without having to remove any metal from the spindle mounting plates, it was also to aid the chain clearance, looks like it will work out ok, just need to test fit the motor to be certain.

·
old fart
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tonight's fun revolved around man handling the engine into the frame by myself, got it in after a bit of huffing and puffing, fitted a bolt to the lower engine mount to hold it all in place, then played around with sliding it from side to side until i was happy with the chain run and the exhaust clearance.
the chain is about 3mm off the frame tube! but dont think that is going to cause any big problems.
the far left exhaust down pipe is also very close to the frame member, but think that will be easily sorted when i get the bike down to Zorstec to get the rear pipe made and fitted.
happy with how it is now sitting, so i will start to make some mounting brackets to get it held in properly without moving.
thats enough for tonight, so going to sit and have a couple of tins after a productive evenings graft :rock:

·
old fart
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seems to have worked out ok Yan, cant be sure till i get the motor in and everything bolted up tight, but got my fingers crossed it is still true! didnt need to spread the frame
by more than 1cm anyway, so not much.

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
This thing is going to be a monster!

·
old fart
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just me working at usual speed mate, I love playing around with anything mechanical, so seem to make good progress when i get into it,
might slow down soon as i wait for spacers and machining to get done, mate has said he will do it for me, but he will have to fit in "proper" jobs first

This thing is going to be a monster!
I hope so Matt

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
right. curious Al here.. I'm moving over your ways next year and I've always dreamt of building a crazy sleeper cafe out of a T500 with a gsxr1127 or something similar shoehorned in... tell me please that getting such monster creations made legal isn't all that much of a headache?

·
old fart
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
right. curious Al here.. I'm moving over your ways next year and I've always dreamt of building a crazy sleeper cafe out of a T500 with a gsxr1127 or something similar shoehorned in... tell me please that getting such monster creations made legal isn't all that much of a headache?
from my experience,as long as you have the V5 (registration certificate)with the frame,and in theory dont cut and modify the frame too much (you can get away with a lot, just look at my 893 frame!!!)
engine swap is not too much probs as you just get the new CC rating and engine number swaped on the V5 (might need an engineers report, not a biggie, just a formality)
problem i have come across is the insurance!! trying to get them to understand that it is "a bit of this,a bit of that" can be frustrating! but it is do able

·
old fart
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yan, l found that one of the heater plugs was bust :oops: are they really needed? as i rarely ride after mid Nov through to Mar :nuts:

·
10,963 Posts
I only run basic looms, nowt on them not needed , no safety switches, indicators, tps, reckon you'll be just fine. Old gixer never needed all the extras. Only thing you will need is the resistor from the cdi if your not using a standard loom and ignition barrel, or it won't spark

1 - 20 of 188 Posts