Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Breaking shit...
3,201 Posts
Are there tons of free files available to just print stuff? Toys etc?
yep. all over the place. thingiverse has so much stuff I lost a whole hour just randomly surfing the different things t print.

·
Registered
148 Posts
New to this thread and just read through it all. Curious after reading about the modifications and upgrades done to the printer that Mcantar and Titan have been talking about...does the Prusa need the same things done to it?

This is something I've had my eye on for a while ( not the Prusa specifically) and I'm just curious if the additional expense maybe does buy you something after all.
No, Prusa does not need it. It works good out of the box as long as you follow the instruction they provide. It has a lot of nice features and constantly updating firmware and programs to make your life easier, save your time and frustration. We used Prusa for a few years. No additional expenses were spent. Prusa released some 3D printed parts update for the 3D printer during this time you can print and install. They also updated filament sensor. The new printers they sell go with this updated sensor and updated parts but if you want to update reliability and performance of you existing Prusa printer you have to buy and print those parts and install them on your printer. But Prusa worked good as is without latest updates. We also have pretty expensive Raise3D Pro2Plus 3D printer and it has a lot of problems, Prusa is more reliable and easy to use so if the part fits the Prusa tray and if we print it out of low temperature plastic like PLA we print it on Prusa.

Additional expenses for Prusa may include chamber you can build for the printer to print parts in more temperature consistent environment for better reliability, maybe hardened nozzels if you want to print composite filaments, maybe nozzles with bigger or smaller diameter if you want to print big parts faster or small parts with finer details.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,000 Posts
what are the sliders made of? the ender will run PLA, ABS, PETG and TPU (still reading up on the differences between the medias). saw some stuff about how you can do other filament types with upgraded hot ends and all metal extruders but Im still reading up on all that.

I actually have no clue what they're made from. As a mechanic yourself, I know you've got a pretty good idea of what they're like, but I don't know what compound that would be called.

I've seen guys carve one-off cam chain sliders out of Dekrin a few times, but I don't think Delrin is something that can be bought on a spool. At least, I don't know what Delrin really is beyond it's trade name. A sort of nylon, I suppose?

·
Is my bike ok?
15,000 Posts
No, Prusa does not need it. It works good out of the box as long as you follow the instruction they provide. It has a lot of nice features and constantly updating firmware and programs to make your life easier, save your time and frustration. We used Prusa for a few years. No additional expenses were spent. Prusa released some 3D printed parts update for the 3D printer during this time you can print and install. They also updated filament sensor. The new printers they sell go with this updated sensor and updated parts but if you want to update reliability and performance of you existing Prusa printer you have to buy and print those parts and install them on your printer. But Prusa worked good as is without latest updates. We also have pretty expensive Raise3D Pro2Plus 3D printer and it has a lot of problems, Prusa is more reliable and easy to use so if the part fits the Prusa tray and if we print it out of low temperature plastic like PLA we print it on Prusa.

Additional expenses for Prusa may include chamber you can build for the printer to print parts in more temperature consistent environment for better reliability, maybe hardened nozzels if you want to print composite filaments, maybe nozzles with bigger or smaller diameter if you want to print big parts faster or small parts with finer details.
Thanks for that info. I hadn't thought about the things you mentioned in the last paragraph, but that makes a lot of sense. Reading the ad on Prusa you linked to originally it was clear to tell they were implementing updates in to the new machines vs just telling you how to upgrade it yourself. The machines are quite a bit more costly, but that part left a good impression.

·
hooligan quads
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
About to start my enclosure so I can print in abs/asa etc

First job is a handle for the bed as it's now a glass bed. This one have a built in go pro mount so when I finally sort out a Pi with octipy on I can check on my prints while I'm away

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
hooligan quads
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Noob question about the enclosure. Why is it needed for ABS? Fume Hood type thing?
That and also requires a higher ambient temp which I can't control in the room. With the printer in an inclosure the printer will generate a constant heat, so I'm told

Reactions: shinyribs

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
From my understanding, one of the issues is ABS prints hotter and shrinks more as it cools, so keeping the whole thing warm until its done helps prevent warping. Ideally you want the print kept just below the "just below the glass transition temperature" to minimize the energy needed to bond layers / improve bonding, as well.

The crazy thing is that the idea of an enclosure to keep yer FDM print warm was fucking PATENTED. That's expired now but of course the patent holders patented variations as well, so its still not common to find FDM printers with enclosures for sale (except from the patent holder of course).

·
hooligan quads
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
First leg bracket done, only 7 more to do lol

·
Breaking shit...
3,201 Posts
I like your full enclosure idea. I was looking at this till I make a proper place for my ender 5. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2865409 (corner fixtures that hold foam panels in place if you dont want to follow the link) it looks like a good option if space is an issue since it can be broken down in just a min or two. and its cheap, thats a plus after buyin my setup and a laptop to run it.

·
hooligan quads
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I like your full enclosure idea. I was looking at this till I make a proper place for my ender 5. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2865409 (corner fixtures that hold foam panels in place if you dont want to follow the link) it looks like a good option if space is an issue since it can be broken down in just a min or two. and its cheap, thats a plus after buyin my setup and a laptop to run it.
I looked at this as I have shit load of 5mm ply figured I could use that. But then I figured once this is set up if I need to move the printer I just move it in its house. I plan on moving the power supply and display, vent the control unit through the base etc the printer lives in my 12yro daughters art room, it's only a matter of time before it get painted lol

Reactions: XxGRYMMxX

·
Breaking shit...
3,201 Posts
I have more than a few designs off thingiverse for making an full enclosure too. Ill eventually set it up but gotta sort a proper workspace first. All the designs Ive seen say to move the control set outside the box or risk dooooom... I imagine between the bed heater and the hot end itll get pretty warm in there. my 11 year old already wants a whole series of stuff made. I told her shell have to learn how it works too.

Does your ender have the silent board? im curious how loud they are without it compared to with it.

·
hooligan quads
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I have more than a few designs off thingiverse for making an full enclosure too. Ill eventually set it up but gotta sort a proper workspace first. All the designs Ive seen say to move the control set outside the box or risk dooooom... I imagine between the bed heater and the hot end itll get pretty warm in there. my 11 year old already wants a whole series of stuff made. I told her shell have to learn how it works too.

Does your ender have the silent board? im curious how loud they are without it compared to with it.
No mine doesn't have the silent board, I can't hear it from outside the room with the door closed so not in a rush to change it out.

Yeh I'm going to move the control panel (screen), I'll put the power unit on the side with vents so it's cooled from out side the enclosure, and I'll probably put a bottom vent on for the main control unit so it's not trying to cool from the hot air.

Reactions: MikeGyver

·
Breaking shit...
3,201 Posts
keep posting what you do, Im learning this stuff too! Ill post my rig up once I get all the stuff and get it assembled.

·
hooligan quads
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Will do, much easier to learn in a group. I suppose we owe this new obsession to mcanter..

·
Breaking shit...
3,201 Posts
yep... its allll his fault.

·
hooligan quads
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
enclosure design coming along. as i work away i can sit and do the CAD so i can work the printer over the weekends

i couldnt find one that fitted what i wanted to do using 5mm ply so i made my own. ill see how it goes when i start printing them and once its finished ill stick it on thingyverse.

table enclosure.png

Reactions: MikeGyver

·
Breaking shit...
3,201 Posts
is fusion 360 free? I downloaded mattercontrol and played with it a touch last night but Ive never done anything with 3d modeling before so itll be slow going til I learn some stuff. started making some basic shapes but didnt get too much time as the 2 year old was insistent she was the center of the universe last night.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts