Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
is fusion 360 free? I downloaded mattercontrol and played with it a touch last night but Ive never done anything with 3d modeling before so itll be slow going til I learn some stuff. started making some basic shapes but didnt get too much time as the 2 year old was insistent she was the center of the universe last night.
Yeh you have to go through the registration and just click the bit that's say your are not using it for resale etc chuck it in Google and it will come up.

Modeling wise I just had a play and watched some YouTube videos, if I want to do something new I Google it and there is normally a video showing you how to do it. Spend the time learning the sketch tools then in most cases it extruded the object and then a few bits to finish. Also have a look and get your head around slicing that's the make or brake and you need to do that even if you use thingiverse. I use Cura as mcanter said and it find it easy enough. I used default to start with and I have now started to play with support settings and bits and bobs. It can get a bit overwhelming bit I just try and stick to one thing at a time, i.e I printed that item that way but can I improve it but changing that setting?? And then see how you get on . Also spend the time learning bed level and esteps etc calibration is the key

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: XxGRYMMxX

·
Breaking shit...
3,204 Posts
I have cura downloaded but havent messed with it yet. I got mattercontrol because it was described as software that has everything included, build, .stl repair, slicing and printing all under one roof. I got cura too because it seems to be THE fave for slicing.

·
Breaking shit...
3,204 Posts
got it together and running.

running its first test print

gotta get the bed height and z offset set up though... I get some weird smudges and i had some layering issues

the pattern looks like this most of the way around

but then theres two area that make these smudges

and the layers

I suppose the layering could have been the fact that the roll of blue I got super cheap, was in fact, super cheap... I paused the print after it broke twice and fed in the silver filament. that worked better.

pretty happy so far. It came used but has BLTouch auto level installed, an all metal hot end and all metal direct drive extruder and it runs on a bootloader with TH3D installed. It has lights installed, a mount for a camera, tool holder and bed leveling supports (although I need a couple bolts to attach those).

·
Breaking shit...
3,204 Posts

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Nice one. Them smudges may be bed level and or esteps but I'm still learning so no got as far as fault finding.

Mines be 3 days none stop printing bits for my enclosure

·
Breaking shit...
3,204 Posts
I forgot about the noise level thing. I read that the loudest part of this printer was the cooling fan and its true. This thing is super quiet, we watched movies in the front room while it printed the piece I pic'd and it wasnt loud enough to turn up the volume.

Ill be starting the cable chain mod and enclosure pieces as soon as I get the level set. swiping a few bolts for the bed supports from work so that should help firm things up a bit.

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
My enclosure slowly getting there. The hinges have been in print for 28hrs so far, nearly done then I can get all the little bits done. All the side panels are cut and sanded not sure if I'll paint them or just leave them. My £5 usb powered led light is all stripped ready to be fitted.

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
On 4 legs next lot of brackets and bits printing.. day 4

·
Breaking shit...
3,204 Posts
Looking good! Clear panel for the door or is it ply all around?

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Looking good! Clear panel for the door or is it ply all around?
I have plexiglass for the doors, I may put some window in the side panels too but I'll see

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
So my ambition out weight my ability so it's more functional than pretty but the parts all work as they should. May upgrade some panels on the future.

·
Breaking shit...
3,204 Posts
looks good! How big is it? Looks more compact than I imagined.

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
It's 55cm wide and long and 60cm tall so just under a 2ft cube

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
A few little bits to finish off, waiting on a new display cable so I can move it to the top but printed off the mount ready.

Also got new filament so why not print of some tests

·
Breaking shit...
3,204 Posts
did some playing around earlier.

little bit small for my hand but fits the wifey. gonna whip up a couple at about 110% size out of carbon fiber reinforced PLA at 60% fill in. should be a good paperweight.

anyonme got a skully file? Id print a bunch out of glow in the dark stuff if someone can get me a file. some knucks and a skully would make a cool prize for FoTM winners.

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Been playing with ASA filament. Was a bit of a pain but finally got it to print but it's on the extreme of what the Ender 3 can handle.

Had to flip my bed over to the smooth glass, give it a shit load of hairspray, run at 260 (max it goes) on the nozzle and 90 on the bed with the build fan off. This is going to be the rear light bracket if it turns out ok.

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts

Here's a little weekend project for ya

Reactions: MikeGyver and titan

·
Breaking shit...
3,204 Posts
have you considered direct drive feeding? my kit came with it so I haven't used the Bowden cable feed set up at all. the kit on mine is the same as for yours. mounts the extruder directly on top of the hot end. looks like this

only "problem" ive had is that the filament lightly scrapes the side of the extruder and makes some dust. that's because the roll is mounted on the side of my cube frame and the filament comes in at an increasing angle as the carriage moves. with your enclosure (and the one im making for mine), you could place your filament roll on the top and feed straight down to the extruder. that's my plan, to help reduce the amount of width the printer takes up in my room. I have vertical space but not so much the other directions...

101 - 120 of 140 Posts