Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had to actually trouble shoot moto brakes before. So this is a first for me.

The 1100 I got came with the tokico's but I put new pads in and bled them out, but it's extremely tight. Wont spin too well. I just put on a brand spankin new M/C from a '12 zx-14.

Oh and the calipers were open for about a year. No fluid and not capped and the banjo bolt hole.

Definitely not safe to ride on so I swapped them out with my extra set of nissins and they work fine. So it's gotta be the tokico's I just have never dealt with rebuilding calipers before.

So my question is do the tokicos need to be rebuilt?

Rotors are good and straight and wheel is good and spacers are right.

·
Gsxr nut
460 Posts
I had this problem on my Bandit 1200. Ended up being the small ass return hole on the master cylinder was clogged. Male sure theres not something in the hole. The fluid goes down to push the pistons in the caliper in then the fluid returns back up to the MC.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
His Nissin's work fine using the same M/C so it's not the return hole. Good point,though.

IDK about these Tokico's,but the early CB calipers use a tilted piston seal to retract the piston. It's a squarish o-ring that sits on a lean and kinda grabs the piston back into the bore. If dirty at all,they stick. Super critical on those to clean under the piston seal. Maybe these operate the same way???

And since they sat dry for an extended period the seals may be dry rotted. Brake seals hate being dry and they never recover from it. IMO, put a kit in it and rock on.

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
rebuilding calipers is probably the easiest thing you could do on your bike besides wash it.

if you can play this:

you can rebuild brake calipers....

get a quality set of rings and make sure the pistons arent corroded too bad. if they are, try to get new ones.

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah fortunately they sell the pistons on eBay for an entire set. It's quite pricey at $200 +shipping. But I figure a good cleaning and polish should make them like new again. Should the be polished to a shine? Or just a good cleaning will do?

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
As long as there is no pitting from where the seals rest inward, a good cleaning is fine. Its typical to see some pitting outside of the seal where everything just stays exposed. All depends on the material used really.

Personally, I had a piston with one pit that causing me sealing issues. In a pinch I JB Weld'd it. Its done fine. It was supposed to be a temporary thing but I forgot all about it. Roughly three years and 15k miles later its still in there. Not campaigning this method, just putting it out there.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
common fault with them mate .Always keep them clean and clear of shite ,pop em off at sevice intervals and do a check.
when you popped in the nu pads did you push them pistons back into the calliper housing ?
If so did they move in esialy ?

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did not. They were already mostly depressed. Just put the new ones in, bled the brakes, and they started hanging.

I found a lot if info about these. A write up on how to rebuild them and where to get seals the cheapest. But also I've heard nothing but whining and bitching about how these calipers suck. Most if it sounds like trouble with bleeding them perfectly. Anyone have experience with bleeding the calipers?

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
You have a pair of Nissin 4 pots that work well, and want to "upgrade" to a pair of shitty 6-pots that are known to be made of poor quality material that corrodes, and are a pig to bleed?

You'll have ZX6 & 7 owners queueing up to swap their 6 pots with you for those 4 pots, it's a known fix for crap brakes on those Kwaks.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
they work fine fer sure ,I like mine and woud not swap fer 4s'

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
I did not. They were already mostly depressed. Just put the new ones in, bled the brakes, and they started hanging.

I found a lot if info about these. A write up on how to rebuild them and where to get seals the cheapest. But also I've heard nothing but whining and bitching about how these calipers suck. Most if it sounds like trouble with bleeding them perfectly. Anyone have experience with bleeding the calipers?
its tuff ta get them air purged but when they are itsa nice hard feel on tha brake lever.I think that tha most suckky thing that peeps grumbl;e about is that (as with all brake callipers) they need regular maintenence.Dont give up on then yet ;)

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
I'm not. I'm still researching the trouble with bleeding these brakes. Still not sure why everyone has an issue with them.

I loosend of tha bolt holdin tha brake hose to tha clliper to start tha air purging a bit messy but it worked fer me .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts