Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://allentown.craigslist.org/mcy/3833229009.html

I emailed saying I have 1800 cash in hand.

Reasons for my price:
Mileage, although not high.. Still higher than most examples
"Fairings and paint"
headlight,ect

the 03 636.. those aren't factory ram air right?

My offer fair? Whats the highest I should Go. blue book is 2300 trade 3200 retail. plus it says need sold asap.

local morons are asking 4k-7k for their 636s.. but its a 3k bike after august.

anyone buys this bike under me on here i'll kick you in the kunt.

·
Student
10 Posts
If he's going with 2500obo, I'd say check it out, if there's normal wear like say sprockets/chain, point those out and keep going over it describing the costs to get it in good shape and he might lower to your offer..

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
One thing I do to get the price I want is don't make an offer without seeing the bike then when you go knit pick every thing from the fairings chains sprockets pull the front break compress the forks really hard then tell him how you're going to have to rebuild the forks and possibly the rear but never make an offer over text email or call do it in person so you give the impression that you're losing on the deal.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
And the ram air comes in through by the neck here's a pic

And from the inside

The air box butts right up to it

·
Registered
740 Posts
All good tips, something else to keep in mind is to never "bid against" yourself.

Wrong:

"I'll give you $1800 cash today"
"No, can't do that"
"OK, how about $1900"

Right:

"I'll give you $1800 cash today"
"No, that's too low"
"OK, what would you take for it?"

Make him come down before you go up. Otherwise the negotiation becomes one sided in his favor.

Another trick I've had success with is retreating to your truck for a bit. Fake a phone call or something, out of earshot. The seller gets nervous who you're talking to will say it's too high and he'll lose the sale. Come back and slightly up the offer from the initial lowball, say that's your top dollar. If he still doesn't bite, leave him your number to call if he changes his mind, your offer stands, and leave. I've done this and probably 75% of the time get a call within a couple days.

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
honestly my plan was to stick at 1800. if the bike needed alot of crap, i'd hustle of course! I'd get a feel on the phone what i'm getting into. If the guy knows his crap I'm game. otherwise i backoff and disappear into the shadows.

I hate to sound like an awful person here, but I recently passed on a v65.. Owner didn't know crap about bikes and he was not graciously eloquent to say the least.

I know the art of sale but those are useful tips. :)

guess i should have elaborated on max price if it needs nothing but plastics lol.

Reactions: MikeGyver

·
1,533 Posts
telling someone you will give them x amount of cash is a statement of fact, yet it is based on nothing, and is arrogantly presumptuous. I lowball more people than all of you fuckers put together, its my job.

If you arent sure if they will come down, ask, point blank. will you come down? are you flexible on the price?

or if you want to lowball, just go, If you will take x, I will come get the bike/car/truck right now, or x/y/z

here is my info.

I snatch shit out from other people all the time because I just come out of the gate with a cash fucking offer, and say I will come get it right then. no questions, no bullshit, no wasting their time.

the last part, not having to deal with wishy washy assholes asking retarded fucking questions is one of the main reasons I get shit over other people. I also say I will be there with cash asap.

when you say "i will pay you x" you piss people off. I have never sold anything to anyone who has messaged me that, and I never will. It rubs people the wrong way.

always send inquires from other emails if you are not getting a response, but dont blow them up or they will be firm.

always be willing to walk away. dont fucking haggle, ever. go, this is what Ill pay for it. if they say no, go ok, thats cool, let me know if you change your mind and Ill be there with the cash. many times I have gotten sales later on like that, and then check in every once in a while.

also, troll ads in rural areas that are old, and hit them up. if an ad is over a month old, and shit is still for sale, massive lowball, motherfuckers just want it gone usually.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts