Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 650r Project

So after low siding, I am walking the street fighter route as opposed to buying new plastics. I will not lie, I am new to customization, but I'm also studying to be an Engineer so I like to take stuff apart and rebuild it.

To start I will be needing lights, mirrors, and a gauge..I also think I will be getting either Sports bars or clips-ons. I have heard the clip on route is the way to go but would like to confirm. In my opinion it would seem that that would also free up more space in the front for a gauge.

Do you think for my purpose that these might serve? They are adjustable and also cheaper than the sports bars.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Welcome to CF....

You can buy those clipons they'll work or to save a couple bucks you could find out what size your forks are and buy a used set off eBay that are the same size.

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
Damn those clip ons are kinda spendy. It's kind of a personal choice thing. Have you ever rode a bike that had clip-ons? It is different and the body position takes some getting used to. Use you core(Abs/back) muscles to support your weight......no weight on your wrists.

You can find regular street bars for way cheaper
Renthal Street bars $50-$60 all day long.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...=renthal+handlebars+754-01&_sacat=0&_from=R40

That search is for the "road low" p/n 754-01
More options here
http://www.renthalroad.com/File/product_78handlebars.aspx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a big change in feel to go to clip ons. I have a set of 41mm Woodcraft clip ons that I had on my 650r for a little while that I was just getting ready to take pics and put up for sale on here if your interested.
I would definitely be interested in those, lemme know what you're looking to get for them. All the cheap ones are in China and there weren't too many used 41mm clip ons.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Those apex clip ons look awesome but if u decide to go with adjustables, be sure to check out the ones RSC is making. (Google righteous stunt metal for his site) a lot more adjustment and made from one Piece billet aluminum.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those apex clip ons look awesome but if u decide to go with adjustables, be sure to check out the ones RSC is making. (Google righteous stunt metal for his site) a lot more adjustment and made from one Piece billet aluminum.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Those ones looked pretty cool, but he price was really expensive. They also don't offer them in 41mm which is what I am at for now.

Plus jetcrazy is gonna hook me up with some woodcrafts which will do the job. Thanks for the advice though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So since the front will look dramatically smaller with the clip--ons, and I like the look of chopped bikes I went ahead and did it.

I will probably screw down the metal part as I doubt I'll need to get in there much and without the rear seat I can't think of any other way to keep my seat from moving.

I will be doing some Carbon Fiber work as I think the colors will be Black/White/Carbon Fiber down the line. The first piece I'll be doing will similar to the cloth end on this bike, though I will be raising it in the center. It's gonna replace the rear seat (or what was the rear seat).

(the bikes my inspiration by the way, if you haven't figured it out)

On Sunday I hope to get a solid looking mold started made out of masonite board/tape/foam. It shouldn't be too hard since the part isn't that complicated and there are some awesome examples on here. Though of course once I start with it the tail could end up changing.

Fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good news is my clip-ons arrived from JetCrazy (Shout out to him). The mirrors I had didn't fit though so I had a professor from my school hollow out the tips some to make more space. Also have some new levers from 2Wheelcoming in, though I don't expect to see those for a month since it's coming from China.

Bad news is my headlight never arrived from Aztec 8 nor have I heard from them in any of my 3 emails, so I now have to find another round headlight (and wait for Paypal to refund me). There's also the issue of all these wires...

In unrelated news, I still haven't gotten my mold supplies for the back end. I don't plan on doing anything too crazy (at least for right now) I just keep forgetting to get expanding foam and pickup some cardboard from my job. However I did decide on getting a led bar for my tail light.

I also just noticed how ugly the handlebar mount is. That will be coming off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bike is ride able finally. The rear is temporary, I was working on some molds and then my tail light showed up so I said eff it. I wanna ride right now :fu: When I get some time I will get back to the fabricating.

Immediate to do list:
- New Black Shorty Levers (On the way...who knows where they're at. They're coming from China)
- Custom Hel Brake lines since the stock ones are too long. (Moto Madness needs to get back)
- Gonna mock up some brackets with a friend and see if we can't make the stock gauge look good
- Metal plate for back. The seat was held down by the passenger seat, so I'm gonna drill some whole in the cross piece and screw a metal plate down on top of the pad.

Next in line (as in they are probably gonna be expensive or time consuming):
- Tank wrap in Carbon Fiber (along with fiberglass filler to fix dent)
- Fiberglass a tail
- Possible custom radiator guard (I also am wondering if it would be possible to swap. I feel like the stock one is too wide)
- Rearsets
- 636 Rearwheel swap

Edit: I just noticed how ugly that battery box looks in the picture...Might have to take a second look at it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re: 2013 650r Project

Looking good man. Are you putting any sort of shrouds on the sides or keeping it fully naked?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts