Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lower ball joint on my Hossack build has a 7º taper, or so it seems. I bought some 7º bungs that kinda work, but the hole in them is smaller than the top of my taper. Its big enough that there's maybe .25" overlap on the taper, but I would prefer .75", maybe 1.0", as 100% of my braking and front suspension load go through that taper (the lower ball joint is effectively my lower headset bearing, in terms of stress).

So, I'd like to make my own part with a taper in it (and maybe a spare or two for back-up / fuck-up prevention). But 7º taper reamers run about $90+. I'd rather not buy one just for that. Anybody who works with ball joints got one? Pretty sure its the typical 1.5"/foot taper. If you've got one, maybe I could mail the pre-drilled part with a SASE, get a taper put in it?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thats the same as a Chevy tie rod end.

Ask around to any local 4x4 guys you know. Its a pretty standard reamer for anyone dealing with steering on offroaders.

I have it, but you might save shipping and time if someone local has it.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats the same as a Chevy tie rod end.

Ask around to any local 4x4 guys you know. Its a pretty standard reamer for anyone dealing with steering on offroaders.

I have it, but you might save shipping and time if someone local has it.
Yeah, that's a good bet; was gonna borrow it from an autoparts store, but they don't do those (probably because they get dull, or they just don't stock em). Was thinking I didn't know anybody who works on cars (or bikes for that matter) but I do, just don't see them very often. There's probably a lot of 'local 4x4 guys', but I'm not friends with any of em.

The ball joint is sold for a Hundia Sonota, but the taper is probably the same as lot of others. The bungs I bought were sold for making hot rod (chevy or mustang, iirc) tie rods, but like I said - to small. Will get the actual dims Saturday, am poking around locally.

Hey wow, finally found a picture of it in action!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts