Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 GSX-R1100 with a 2012 GSX-R750 subframe Streetfighter

Hi all,

After a good year of leaching off this awesome site, following builds (like BurtonF166 sick build: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49660) I figured it was only fair that I give back and share what I am doing with my Gixxer.

I've owned a tone of bikes from a ZZR400 to an R6 to a Harley Dyna Fat Bob, but of recent years all I've wanted to do is build my own, so after alot of looking I finally found the base for my street fighter in the form of a 1991 GSXR 1100: (images to come when I can figure out how).

I'm already about 6 slow months deep into the project (only because I got it rideable and then starting using it and didnt want to cut it up :D) but I bit the bullet a month ago and its making real progress.

More updates with photos to come soon!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Welcome to CF.......

Go to photobucket.com upload your pics there then copy the IMG link and paste it in the post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 94yzf75fighter.

So here's where I started:

The guy I bought it off had one registered running (but in pieces) frame half fightered but gave up on it, and another rolling chassis which worked out perfect for testing mountings and brackets before I pull the running one apart.

This is what I pieced together for a daily rider while i gathered parts:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After many a nights of sifting through build after build on CF and other sites I finnaly settled on a tail; a 2012 GSXR 750. I figured not alot of people have done it and it seemed like a cool idea to bring the 1100 into the 21st century while still keeping everthing Suzuki.

I found a second hand subframe for $250 (which is a steal in NZ) and bought a set of new fairings off ebay for about $200. This is what I had in mind (apologies for the dark photo but I was super excited when everything turned up that I had to get something together that night :yeah:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike took a big break after that night as I figured before I go blowing any more coin on it I should probably do something responsible....like buy a house....ridiculous I know.

So into my new place and back to what this bad boy is going to look like!

And the main challenge:

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Looking good so far that bracket looks awesome on cardboard can't wait to see it in metal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I was pretty happy with the cardboard but before blowing money on metal I wanted to make sure that the radius's that fit into the 750 tail were right, so I scanned the cardboard into solidworks and modeled it. And it just so happens I work for an engineering firm with a 3D printer :D so I made these:

I also tweaked the cut outs a little just for looks. The fit was perfect but there was another problem. The frame flares out as it gets closer to the swing arm so the bracket gets vertically further away from the frame making it impossible to attach to the frame:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I originally planned on just welding the bracket straight to the frame but I decided against it for 2 reasons;

1. I wanted to make the mod look as factory as possible
2. If the bracket for some reason didn't work out I wanted to be able to easily remove it.

So I designed these lugs up:

I got the idea from BurtonF166 on his fighter so big thanks to him!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Pic not working homie

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have to say a massive thanks to a mate of mine Matt Ruddell who has just started his own engineering company, he gave up a whole Saturday to CNC out those brackets above, the lungs to mount them to the frame and then weld the lugs to the frame while is was being super pedantic about it. CHEERS BRO, heres a plug for the New Zealand readers:

A Spec Engineering LTD
Matt Ruddell
+642102224844
[email protected]
www.aspeceng.co.nz

The day:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Once again apologies for the huge gap between posts, but I've been working every spare moment on the bike trying to get it ready for whats left of summer over here.

I'm stoked to say that I took it for its first ride yesterday and she did not disappoint, :D but i wont spoil the post by skipping a few months worth of work. So here we go!

That Monday after the weekend of welding I dropped the frame and brackets off at the powder coaters and the came out MINT!:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While the frame was being powder coated I set on painting the motor, I wanted a dull gold color almost like titanium. I ended up buying POR15 "Olds Gold" and it went on well... But looked like a shiny gold nugget... I wasn't sure about it:

After a few days I decided to paint the valve cover and all engine covers black to break up gold:

After a couple of days drying the gold dulled out a bit too so I was stoked with the result!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Before I could tackle the rest of the painting I needed to figure out how to mount the headlight. The headlight was one of the first things I bought last year and what realy sparked the idea of a street fighter. I saw the "Showyomoto" bike and F&*$ loved the look! But Showyo wanted $300+ for their headlight so I thought ass to that and found this cool one in Poland:

It came as a blank mould which I was a bit gutted about, I assumed it would have the headlight mounted in it already. So I ended up making a 3mm think sheet of fiberglass then cutting it into the contour of the headlight and glassing that into the back of the light. It turned out way better than I thought and was rock solid:

From

1 - 20 of 39 Posts