Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys recommend inspecting or rebuilding before I chuck the gsxr 750 engine in my bandit?

A few things:
It is in an unknown condition as I never saw it run.
I had to remove a broken spark plug from cylinder #1.
The guy I bought the gsxr from said it ran well but he took it apart because he thought he had to get the broken plug drilled out.
A few of the covers look like they have been removed and they were sealed with black silicone which is oozing at least one of the covers.
And lastly one of the valve cover bolts was clearly over torqued because the same black sealant is all over the top of the bolt and cover.

Thanks in advance for the advice guys

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
If I was you I would do a complete check on the motor,do a leakdown test,check valve clearances,pull sump and check oil pick up for build up of silicone crap,replace silicone gaskets with fresh gaskets and helicoil the valve cover bolt.Check the rest of the valve cover bolts and helicoil as required because they are notorious for stripping due to ham fisted tightening!!Sounds like the previous owner was a bit suspect with his maintainance practices[broken plug etc etc].DO a real good check on the motor.Just my 2 cents .

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that's what I was planning on doing. Basically just short of a rebuild. Any tips or tricks? Or even a walk through of some sort you could point me in the direction of?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts