Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Adrenaline Junkie
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this bike up for $600 with 10k miles on it. It runs good, just needs a new battery and a new starter button.

When I got it back home

Tore some stuff off of it

Tore some more stuff off

Ordered some parts

·
Adrenaline Junkie
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, I won't be doing everything right away, but I hope to possibly have it done before spring hits. The whole bike will get tore down. The frame, swing-arm/shaft drive covers, wheels and tank will get powder-coated. Everything minus the tank will be gloss black. I planned on putting an R6 front end on it as well, but an employee at the shop next door to us just totaled his R1. Waiting to see what happens with that and what kind of condition it's in, may end up buying the front end of that.

·
Adrenaline Junkie
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Justed edited, forgot to mention the R6/R1 front end as well...

Next thing I need to figure out is what model Trail Tech Vapor kit I need and how to hook it up. I plan on getting a MAC 3-1 header and want to do a custom muffler/pipe. I seen someone here made a sweet pipe that leads from the right side header under the frame to a angle cut exit on the left side. Would be interested in getting one of those...

·
Adrenaline Junkie
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the dirt pegs on with a little modification

Modified the passenger peg brackets for a cleaner look

Second peg still needed some more grinding at that point

Temp drag bars are on, until I get an R6/R1 front end

Grips are on, but I haven't got a good pic of them yet

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
Looks good so far, I build my buddy a hardtail bobber from a xs650 I4, still one of the best bikes I've ever ridden (fun wise)

·
Adrenaline Junkie
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to know. Hope I like the way this one turns out. The '06 R1 complete front end will be mine by this weekend...

·
Adrenaline Junkie
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have strayed from the original idea of the bike. I will be purchasing the '06 R1 front end by this weekend like I had planned, but am having the idea to have the top triple tree machined to fit risers, so I can keep the "chopper" look to it. I have been going back and forth in my head as to how I want to do the seat with no prevail. Today I ran across a youtube video that shed some light on the subject.

This is the seat I am thinking of doing

and then I started to come up with an idea for the tail, why not a rocket style tail for a somewhat rocket style seat? Behold an upside down aftermarket R1 taillight with built-in turn signals, that can be formed into the seat.

Any opinions would be appreciated. I am still in the works as to figuring out exactly how I want this bike to look. I am stuck between giving it a chopper look or a bobber/fighter look. I have almost thrown out the R1 front end idea and stuck with the stock front for a chopper type look, because of certain pics/videos such as this...

This other video/pic draws me the other way...

·
Adrenaline Junkie
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Got the R1 front end. Waiting for him to bring me the brakes and wheel yet...

Ground down the weld and pressed out the 850's steering stem, out of a extra triple tree I bought off ebay.

Still have to press out the R1 stem, but want to do some more research before I bite the bullet.

·
Adrenaline Junkie
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Motor should be off tomorrow morning

Custom bearing should be in Friday, then I can test fit the new front end. I need to get a 3mm spacer for it. I will probably get it made at the machine shop I used to work at. 3 new air filters should be coming in soon too.

I have an xs850 steering stem pressed out, if anyone is interested in it for a project...

·
Adrenaline Junkie
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I couldn't pass it up. Still deciding on what dto do about the gold color now. Either paint/plastitip it black or maybe add some matching gold paint to the bike. Maybe a stripe down the gas tank and maybe even the tail, if I add one opposed to just a seat.

·
Adrenaline Junkie
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am starting to think that I want to convert this bike over to look more like a virago now. I can get the R1 mono-shock from the donor bike to change things up a bit. I already investigated swapping over a virago swing-arm, but from what I found there are too many differences. I am thinking I could have a hoop made on the existing swing-arm to look basically like the virago's in order to run the mono-shock. If I went this way I think I would eliminate the entire rear portion of the frame and have tubing come up from either sides mid-way up of the frame that come to a point (v-shaped) to the rear portion of the seat. I would either run a saddle seat or maybe some kind of custom solo-seat. I have gone in this direction of thinking most because the rear portion of the frame on the xs850 really limits it's customization. It can look good shortened and hooped, but I want a little more personalization than that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts